24 port gigabit switch

BIGROD43

Distinguished
Feb 18, 2007
I need to buy a 24 port gigabit switch. Seems to be few recommendations on this size switch (or I am not finding them).
Any of you hardware experts out there have any recommendations?

TIA

Madwand

Distinguished
Mar 6, 2006
There's quite a lot of variety in switches for a reason -- people and companies need them to do different things for different purposes. What do you intend to use the switch for? What's your environment? What specific needs do you have in addition to the basic 24 GbE ports? Do you have a budget in mind?

BIGROD43

Distinguished
Feb 18, 2007
Thank You for the interest.

Basic office enviroment. Just upgrading from 10/100.
15 computers (expanding) several printers. Don't want wireless in the office.

Looking at only the major brands

robmurphy

Distinguished
Jul 12, 2006
From the sound of it you need an unmanaged switch. It would be worth checking this first, as unmanaged switches are much cheaper than managed swithes.

If you go down the unmanaged switch route check that it supports jumbo frames and to what size. Check that the jumbo frame size that you intend to use is supported by the switch. You will need to check the network adapters in order find out what size jumbo frames they support.

Rob.

Madwand

Distinguished
Mar 6, 2006
At 24-ports, even web-managed switches are around the same price as unmanaged switches. So the unmanaged switches will have more disadvantages than advantages. E.g. no possibility of firmware updates.

For a business, it's generally not worth being especially cheap with infrastructure. Simple things like user downtime costs can easily justify greater expenditure (assuming you get real value for the expenditure, which you would tend to getting off the bottom end).

The HP has a "lifetime" warranty. Don't go too cheap with this stuff -- per user / day / etc., it's a small cost as it is.

Buzzons

Distinguished
Jul 21, 2005
The dell powerconnect switches are rather nice, as are the 24 port linksys and 3com switches.

if you can afford it, go for a cisco switch but a 24 gigE one of those will set you back a bit, however there is a linksys one out there (cant remember name) thats identical to it other than it is blue not green.

Madwand

Distinguished
Mar 6, 2006
There are a lot of myths out there -- e.g. cheap Dell switches are made by SMC, or even by HP, and Linksys = Cisco. It might be that some high end Linksys switches are actually Cisco, but I'd personally want a lot of evidence before I believed that -- just because of the number of false wishful thinking claims we've seen to that effect.

And BTW, I'd love to see that evidence regarding specific Linksys and Cisco models.

BIGROD43

Distinguished
Feb 18, 2007
I have not seen any more comments in the last few days.
SO: Unless anyone has a particular heartburn for the LinkSys SRW2024P I will buy it when I get back from South America in a few days.

My logic has to this point been that it is as close to Cisco that I can find without the $3,000 price tag.

Busto963

Distinguished
Sep 16, 2006
There are a lot of myths out there -- e.g. cheap Dell switches are made by SMC, or even by HP, and Linksys = Cisco. It might be that some high end Linksys switches are actually Cisco, but I'd personally want a lot of evidence before I believed that -- just because of the number of false wishful thinking claims we've seen to that effect.

Agreed, and I cannot produce direct evidence for or against this. But take a really close look at the Cisco and Linksys switch line ups, physical design and features, and every thing points to the SRW2024 being repositioned in the business lineup of Linksys following the merger of the two companies.

However, manufacturing economies and marketing strategies being what they are, this is a lot more common for companies to rebadge other products as their own than to completely redesign one or two products. It would not shock me if the HP procurve switch you recommended did not have an identical circuit board used in the Linksys switch! It is not uncommon for example for a chainsaw manufacturer to produce two or three mid-range saws with different displacements which are actually the same saw except for the sticker with a given model number, and of course the price.

Madwand

Distinguished
Mar 6, 2006
There's not a lot that is done with switch cosmetics -- they tend to look similar. Moreover, sometimes switches that are identical on the inside look different from the outside. So the counter-argument would be that Cisco could very well decide to source the boxes from the same manufacturer for Cisco and Linksys, yet put in very different contents. One box is about as good as another, and doesn't determine the quality of the contents at all. Because of this, the look and details of the external cosmetics is not at all conclusive.

However, in this case, if you look at the cheapest such Cisco switches (2960G line) and the Linksys ones, you'll find significant differences in the layout and configuration of ports, etc., which indicates that the switches are at least somewhat different on the inside. Moreover, the Cisco has significantly more buffer memory -- this alone puts them in different categories.

Finally, it's known that Cisco and Linksys are not closely integrated internally -- they operate different design and engineering teams.

I'm calling "myth" on this one.

Madwand

Distinguished
Mar 6, 2006
SO: Unless anyone has a particular heartburn for the LinkSys SRW2024P I will buy it when I get back from South America in a few days.

You didn't mention PoE earlier -- do you really need this? If not, you can save a bunch going to the SRW2024. If you do need PoE, then this is probably one of the cheapest such devices. However, PoE raises other concerns, so if going this route, I'd suggest getting some specific advice from someone who deals with PoE.

Buzzons

Distinguished
Jul 21, 2005
To be fair i cant remember where i read the review but it was one of the top end linksys ones I think that was the same as one of the low end cisco ones.. anyhoo

Dell / Linksys / HP / 3com all make good switches, just get one you can afford (ebay?) I picked up my dell 5224 (24 port gigE/nonblocking/managed/jumboframes) for only 190 quid - bargin!

BIGROD43

Distinguished
Feb 18, 2007
I want to thank everyone for the help.

I purchased the LinkSys SRW2024P for $709.34 in the door.
In the box is a note that CISCO is offering for the next 3 years a trade-up program. A quick check looks like if I upgrade in time I save about $300.00

The office is closed today (Sunday) so I tested the network with PassMark 6.0. The average speed was 57,599 KBits/sec

I simply installed the new switch (no tweaks on switch or computers) and tested again.
Average speed was 530,006 KBits/sec.

So out of the box I have a increased speed of 10X. I will work on the tweaks and let you know.

2 problems so far.

The switch comes with an IP of 192.168.1.254. If your LAN is set to anything else like mine 192.168.0.xxx it is dificult to open the configuration. I worked that one out.

The second is one computer has a gig card and only tests at 50meg. Don't know what the problem could be at the moment. Any ideas?

Thanks again for the help and information.

Busto963

Distinguished
Sep 16, 2006
The second is one computer has a gig card and only tests at 50meg. Don't know what the problem could be at the moment. Any ideas?

At this point, it could be the wiring, the NIC, or an issue with the OS/drivers. Assuming that 1) the host is simular to other hosts, and 2) that your time is valuable: I would try another known good host on the ethernet in question.

If it works at ~530K, you know your issue is the with the original host. If the new machine also slows, you have a problem with the cable, wiring, or the switch and probably in that order.

robmurphy

Distinguished
Jul 12, 2006
You need to check how things are setup. 50Meg may be as simple as its running at 100 Meg 1/2 duplex. My PCI intel gigabit cards will run at 300 Mbs using IPERF but nothing like that for file transfers. Iperf will help you find out what the network is capable of. Check the status of the card, it should tell you what it has connected at. Maybe the LEDs on the switch use a different colour for Gigabit and 100Meg.

Just my 2ps worth.

Robert Murphy.

Kanabis

Distinguished
Apr 7, 2007
Didn't know if I should reply here or start a new topic. Anyway I'm in the market for a 24 port gigabit switch myself. I need one for my house as I have things chained to multiple 5 port switches. I obviously dont need a managed switch or VLANs either for that matter but web managed would be nice. Around $300 is the max I'd like to spend . Googling for reviews of switches (as well as most stuff) just turns up lists of places selling things. I'm tempted to buy the cheapest one with the most features but I rarely do that because I almost always regret it. But how much difference ais there in consumer grade switches, right? Right? Comments or suggestions appreciated.

Busto963

Distinguished
Sep 16, 2006
Around $300 is the max I'd like to spend . Googling for reviews of switches (as well as most stuff) just turns up lists of places selling things. I'm tempted to buy the cheapest one with the most features but I rarely do that because I almost always regret it. But how much difference ais there in consumer grade switches, right? Right? Comments or suggestions appreciated.

If you need 24 ports you are on the cusp of needing something more robust than consumer grade. You might want to reconsider a managed device in the range you are looking for.

I would browse forums for likely candidates from LinKsys, HP etc. and see what issues people who have actually purchased prospective switches are running into.

riser

Illustrious
I regularly purchase Linksys 24 port gigabit switches. I don't have the model off-hand as I just buy their most current model each time.

They work great. They're unmanaged so I don't have to worry about tweaking or doing anything. Its a switch working a local network, the routers handle the rest.

They run about $220 last time I recall purchasing one from CDW.

LVDAX

Distinguished
Jan 20, 2007
The Linksys 24 port gig managed routers are great. I am running the SRW2024P with PoE and love them. Very reliable and affordable.

riser

Illustrious
PoE being power over ethernet? I have no use for that. :)

Plus, we're using a Shoretel Phone system using PoE and we have a lot of headaches when it comes to troubleshooting the computers and phones.

My laptop hooks into my phone, which hooks into the wall. If my phone screws up, I lose network access on my phone. PoE is good when you don't have power in the area though.. but the cost is about even.

dobby

Distinguished
May 24, 2006
hmmm i was recently in the market for a 8 port gigabit switch, that set me back a little, i looked on eBay and got a good deal.

My switch is by belkin and works fine no problem and istant DCHP (or what ever combination of those letters) recoginition which saves any real config.

i would say stay away from Non brands, as they have no warrenty and generally dont really offer gigabit . i would also stay away from linksys as they generally are for really budget/those whom have no clue.