Corsair vx550

Status
Not open for further replies.
Solution
For a system using a single GeForce GTX 660 Ti graphics card NVIDIA specifies a minimum of a 450 Watt or greater power supply that has a combined +12 Volt continuous current rating of 24 Amps or greater and that has at least two 6-pin PCI Express supplementary power connectors.

Total Power Supply Wattage is NOT the crucial factor in power supply selection!!! Total Combined Continuous Power/Current Available on the +12V Rail(s) rated at 45°C - 50°C ambient temperature, is the most important factor.

The Corsair Enthusiast Series VX550 (CMPSU-550VX), with its combined +12 Volt continuous current rating of 41 Amps and with one 6-pin and one (6+2)-pin PCI Express supplementary power...
For a system using a single GeForce GTX 660 Ti graphics card NVIDIA specifies a minimum of a 450 Watt or greater power supply that has a combined +12 Volt continuous current rating of 24 Amps or greater and that has at least two 6-pin PCI Express supplementary power connectors.

Total Power Supply Wattage is NOT the crucial factor in power supply selection!!! Total Combined Continuous Power/Current Available on the +12V Rail(s) rated at 45°C - 50°C ambient temperature, is the most important factor.

The Corsair Enthusiast Series VX550 (CMPSU-550VX), with its combined +12 Volt continuous current rating of 41 Amps and with one 6-pin and one (6+2)-pin PCI Express supplementary power connectors, is way more than sufficient to power your system configuration with a single GeForce GTX 660 Ti.

Solution
I'd agree Ice except he's going on about issues from old style PSU's which tended to be lighter on the 12v rails and are no longer really an issue. The average modern 350W supplies enough amperage on the 12v rails to cover the graphics cards' requirements. Specification, suggestion and requirement are interactively used. The question wasn't what are the suggested specs I need to run this GPU, simply will it?
Now, If I were to ask about my 12 yr old PowerMan PSU powering a GTX670, his answer may be appropriate because that would be a concern

Understood, but again, an old concern and not applicable anymore. To demonstrate, try to find a new ATX PSU that is 450W (what NVidia recommends for the 660ti) that does not have 24 amps available on the 12v rail(s) - you just can't anymore (unless you can find a new ATX V.1 model somewhere maybe). That is why I say it's not applicable info anymore. The connections are where the lessor PSU's will come up short, not the amps, in fact when I first looked up the PSU (I also check amps but I think that's just habit), I looked to make sure he had the PCIe connections available.

yes well also the point here is not all powersupplies provide the rated power theyre suppose to output, also some have better capacitators etc. and yeah the temperature.

ud be surprise how many powersuplies are junk, thats why i never skimp on quality, since the ps is the heart of ur system.

Define "new". Do you mean a new design or that the PSU has never been used?

The Corsair Enthusiast Series VX550 (CMPSU-550VX) isn't new. It's from 2007 and has been discontinued. It was great for a power supply unit from that time period.

If you're talking about new as in never used then you can still buy a crap brand RAIDMAX RX-450K 450W ATX12V Power Supply that only has a +12 Volt continuous current rating of 21 Amps.

I had realized I left myself open with the generic "new" statement, lol. By new, I mean a reputable PSU currently available (I know the VX's were discontinued but I believe less than a year ago) that you might consider using/recommending. If he had a poorly reviewed PSU, regardless of stated rail amperage and connections available, I think we all would've been recommending replacement.
PS. I LOVE the Raidmax example (which is ATX V.1), classic of what not to buy. Even if all 12v connectors were dedicated to the graphics card, it wouldn't be enough... lol

Status
Not open for further replies.