Sign in with
Your question

Processor question

Last response: in CPUs
April 8, 2007 4:45:16 PM

I've been kind of conused after I got a course from my brother about processors. If I have say a dual core e6700 which i think runs at 2.4... Since its dual core will it actually run at 4.8 or you can only use the 2.4 seperatley. I'm trying to build a new comp and I if the minimum Ghz required is 3.5 then will the dual core 2.4 work?

More about : processor question

April 8, 2007 4:54:27 PM

The E6700 Runs at FSB 266Mhz X 10Multiplier =
To Dumb it down 2.66Ghz Dual-Core run in parallel(I hope you what parallel means from High School math) means that both are running at 2.66Ghz, All together.

They can be used Separately(due to Single Thread Affinity)
If you refer to 3.5Ghz needed for Pentium class performance.. Then be assured, that your well above that requirement. If you need 3.5Ghz for Core 2 Duo requirements, then I don't know what kind of work you are doing that you need 3.5Ghz but you can over clock and over volt to achieve 3.5Ghz which would be comparable to a 7Ghz Pentium D or any Pentium CPU
April 8, 2007 4:58:55 PM

Wow you make me feel retarded. Yes, I understand what parallel is... Just because I know more about science and not computers doesnt mean im totally stupid. Lighten up
Related resources
April 8, 2007 5:03:19 PM

:p  Wasn't meant to make you seem stupid..
I just tried to make it simple, I guess you may have taken the "To Dumb it down" comment a little personally. I hate high school, my teachers want me to write my Communication answers as if i'm speaking to a retard, and when ever i try to get a little complex with my vocabulary they take off 5% for "Complicated and Confusing Language" :? Sorry if my High School English and Physics commentary may have leaked into my little attempt to help. JumpingJack is a PhD better listen to him more than me :oops: 

EDIT: P.S the reason I Commented about Parallel and Series thing is because most adults go :? :?: WTF when you try to explain to them what that means, yes apparently many of them are that lost, most forgot Math and Physics courses even if they have just graduated 4-5 years ago
April 8, 2007 5:06:43 PM

O sorry, I thought you were trying to degrade me, im not in high school and I hated it to I just dont have the time to learn about computers and im not taking classes on them so I was just trying to see if what i need to have an ultimate gaming computer. The recc. requirements for Vanguard: Saga of Heroes is 3.5 Ghz thats the application I want to run that needs a top of the line computer.
April 8, 2007 5:12:10 PM

Any of the new intel Core 2 duos would be fine. Also any Athlon 64 X2 as well.

Price cuts will be coming on these CPUs this month (I believe the 22nd, not positive on that though).

The system reqs are based on the old pentium 4's that had insanely high clock speeds but were actually slow.
April 8, 2007 5:19:57 PM

Quote:
I've been kind of conused after I got a course from my brother about processors. If I have say a dual core e6700 which i think runs at 2.4... Since its dual core will it actually run at 4.8 or you can only use the 2.4 seperatley. I'm trying to build a new comp and I if the minimum Ghz required is 3.5 then will the dual core 2.4 work?

The E6700 is a fantastic chip. It is probably equal to a 5GHz Pentium 4, if not faster. Most clockspeed requirements use P4 speeds.
April 8, 2007 5:20:25 PM

Thanks for all the help, I think I'll wait till May before I buy my computer. Just in case there are price cuts.
!