Sign in with
Your question

Vid Card Install Issue - Display shuts off after win logo

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
April 8, 2007 5:13:03 PM

Just bought an ATI Radeon 1600 Pro, followed the directions from ATI website which said to install the .NET 2.0 Framework first. Running a DELL so I downloaded the latest vid updates (including something called an nVidia SMBus?) and chipset updates. BIOS is already up to date.

Then installed the vid drivers. Everything went great until after the install I go to reset my PC and after the Windows logo screen my monitor/display shuts off.

Tried uninstalling drivers in safe mode then reinstalling. Same issue. Was using an ATI Radeon 1300 prior and did not uninstall. I'm hoping my last install wiped that clean as well.

Anyone know what's going on here and some possible fixes?

Thx.
April 8, 2007 5:39:51 PM

This often happens when the video card tries to drive the monitor at a resolution / refresh rate it cannot handle. If you haven't tried this already hit safe mode again and lower either resolution / refresh - try starting at 640x480 50Hz and raising it up till it stops working.
If you have tried this let us know - someone here will have the answer.
April 8, 2007 5:49:04 PM

I had a problem like this but it turned out that it had changed primary monitor to the S-video port.
a c 107 U Graphics card
April 8, 2007 6:05:43 PM

Quote:
I had a problem like this but it turned out that it had changed primary monitor to the S-video port.

Did it to me but went to DVI-2

try around. i have only seen this when changing video cards without a clean install. Also if you have 2 cards try it as well.