Can not install Win XP! Boot Record Not Found! IDK wat to do

Lay_Low

Distinguished
Jul 24, 2006
Hey guys, i've been chasing this problem on a system of mines for a week now. I have a K7S5A mobo system. Well.... the mobo burn and popped some capacitors/chips and went in smoke, so I ordered another used K7S5A mobo off ebay, kept all the other hardware so its essentially the same exact config(only difference was the cpus, Athlon xp 1600 vs Athlon xp 1500 that came in the ebay mobo). Okay so I turn on the pc the first time I set everything up expecting a normal boot to windows. Get a message saying "IDE-0.... searchng for boot record... not found" or something like that, point is, it doesnt find the boot record. So I popped in the Win XP cd and did all these things in the recovery console, such as fixmbr ... bootcnfg and all this other stuff. nothing. So it came down to worst, just tried a full repartition+format, the last thing I wanted to do since I had some somewhat important files(that I could do without), so I did just that since I wanted to settle this problem over. So the Win XP setup finishes formating the partition I just created, copies all the files, finishes, reboots to continue the setup. I let it reboot, and at this stage I think the setup should boot into Win XP and begin the Win XP setup, in the Win XP gui, nope. After it restarts it gives me the same error... it says the boot record is not found on the hard disk, and proceeds to boot from the Win XP CD, starting the Win XP set up all over again. Did the process all over again (repartition+format+win XP system files/OS install). Every time it finishes copying the Win XP files after it restarts, it never finds the boot record on the hard disk. At the suggestion of some friends at a non-pc related forum, I got a bootable disk from my hard drive mfg(Maxtor). Here is what I did: Ran all diagnostics/tests, all passed. Also did a full complete format of the drive using their utility, and diagnosed/tested the hard disk afterwards(passed again). Ok since the whole hard drive is now completely whiped clean, maybe i'll have better luck installing the Win XP now, so I pop in the Win XP setup and reboot the pc, install the Win XP, reboot, same error, no boot record found. I am at a loss of words, could the hard drive be bad? the Maxtor utility certified the hard drive completely operational after its real long test. I dont understand why this thing is so stubborn.

I posted here since theres more people that might be able to help, so any help is appreciated! just hope what I wrote is understanable lol. thanks.

sturm

Splendid
check the bios and make sure the correct hard drive is set to be the boot drive. You might even just clear the whole bios to default levels. Who knows what settings the other owner has done.
First boot device should be like disk 0 or HD-0 or something along that line.

Lay_Low

Distinguished
Jul 24, 2006
Yep, I even reset the BIOS Jumper on the mobo(and put it back on normal setting). Tried different ram sticks today. I have tried out alot of things! The hard disk (IDE-0) is the first boot device in the settings, it just doesnt want to boot. :(