Excel File locked for editing - not by the user excel says

Status
Not open for further replies.

mattyc

Distinguished
Jul 25, 2006
Hi

I have this strange problem. we have a network of 70 users, there are several excel documents that when opened by "user A" it states "user X" has the document open, when the actual user who has the document open is "user B" its really a pain trying to find out who actually has the document open - there are ways of doing this but its more of a workaround than a fix and is a lot more time consuming

Ive checked the obvious things and "user X" is not the author of these docs, also it is excel always says the same user "user X" has the document open. even when its user's B,C,or D etc who has the doc open

fredweston

Distinguished
Jul 21, 2006
I don't think Excel reads the user name from the network login, but instead from the name of the individual you typed in when you ran MS Office setup. Look at Help => About in Excel and see if the name there supports that theory.

mattyc

Distinguished
Jul 25, 2006
I don't think Excel reads the user name from the network login, but instead from the name of the individual you typed in when you ran MS Office setup. Look at Help => About in Excel and see if the name there supports that theory.

Hi Fred

I have checked that and its not the case either

Buzzed

Distinguished
Dec 3, 2009
You could have every one open their Excel and go to : Tools-->Options-->General--> and then enter their individual user names in the box labeled user name. This way you can always know who has a file locked.

arif2108

Distinguished
Mar 10, 2010
I have the same problem on windows 2008 terminal server. I installed MS Office 2007 from my admin_arif login. Now whenever any terminal server user try to open already opened file it show The file is locked for editing by user 'Admin_arif'. This happens with terminal server sessions only.

Now do I apply the solution that provided for all the users through registry edit etc.

Thanks

Status
Not open for further replies.