XP mode worth it or not for win7 Pro

waynegman

Distinguished
Oct 16, 2009
Just curious does anyone use XP mode for other than kicks or to just see if it works. I haven't heard of anyone needing it, but I've heard of people buying win 7 pro just to be able to have xp mode available.

Wayne

waynegman

Distinguished
Oct 16, 2009
Could someone give some solid examples where xp mode has been useful or needed. It costs the home user an extra $40-ish to get this feature over the home version of win 7.

I think he was looking for a slightly more specific answer than that, but you are technically correct.

One instance for using XP Mode would be if you are attempting to run any 16 bit applications. All 16 bit code support was removed in Windows 7, and thus cannot be utilized without something like XP Mode.

waynegman

Distinguished
Oct 16, 2009
hmmmm.......I'm still at a bit of a loss for an app that someone would have that they would need to run in xp mode. so if I had an old app for windows 3.1 that i never upgraded I might need xp mode. It seems like real stretching. Those old apps were upgraded and many dropped support as they were before Y2K even.
Sorry to ask difficult questions or specifics that don't seem to be available. I just thought someone would pipe up and post something like, "I had this app for xyz" I need it and I can't upgrade or buy new this weird reason.

Again, as I said earlier it's more of a feature geared towards businesses. Naming specific applications where XP Mode would be required is rather difficult for home users, as programs they use that don't work in Windows 7 don't go much beyond older games. Games can't be run from Windows Virtual PC anyway, as there is no DirectX acceleration available via that solution. VMware is the only company to have implemented this thus far.

imrul

Distinguished
Jun 22, 2007
ok, here's what I use for xp:

the MODs for starcraft do not work on vista or windows 7. I have to use them on windows xp because DEP crashes the app on w7 and vista. also I have some DOS games, they wont work on windows 7, so I have to use xp for them.

pete3867

Distinguished
Dec 9, 2008
when I tried to run dragon naturally speaking 9.5 in it , it said "cpu not powerful enough" even though I used the same cpu an Athlon 7750 be in xp for the same app with no problems ... I would say get virtual player instead or vm ware

Keep in mind that there are actually two different avenues you can try in order to run older programs that have issues under Windows 7:

1) You can use "Compatibility Mode". If you right-click on any executable program and select the "Compatibility" tab, you have the option of specifying which OS it expects to run under (all the way back to Windows 95) and options to control how it interacts with the display subsystem. This capability has nothing to do with "XP Mode" and to the best of my knowledge it's available on all versions of Windows 7.

2) "XP Mode" lets you run programs in a virtual machine running XP. This works for application programs, but not for most hardware drivers.

Older games that do not require DirectX acceleration will work under XP Mode. Trying to play something like one of the Splinter Cell games will fail miserably.

Shining_Lizard

Distinguished
Nov 23, 2009
XP Mode is just a virtual machine, so in my opinion Windows 7 Professional is an expensive purchase (if you buy your software) just to have XP Mode. Microsoft Virtual PC and Sun VirtualBox (my personal favourite) are free virtual machines which work perfectly well. The only thing that differs in XP Mode is, as one poster has already said, it's transparency with the host operating system (Windows 7).

fjiekie

Distinguished
Dec 1, 2009

are you sure? i downloaded it and it didnt say it costs anything anywhere along the way, i just downloaded it from the microsoft downloadpage, try saying you have a prof version and download it

It doesn't cost anything to download, and it can be installed on any version of Windows 7, but if you're using Home Premium, you won't be able to run it (i've tested this out and it gives you a message saying you're not licensed to use it). waynegman was saying it costs extra because you have to buy a more expensive copy of Windows to utilize it, and he doesn't see the need for the feature (and thus, can't justify spending the extra money on Windows 7 Professional).

Aertea

Distinguished
Oct 5, 2009
He's saying Pro costs $40 more than home. Not that he has to pay $40 to download XP Mode.

There are other features of pro beyond XP Mode as well, such as Remote Desktop and domain support which are requirements for many jobs. Looking at XP mode as the only reason to get Win 7 Pro is a mistake.

Came back to add exactly that. Looks like you beat me to it!

XP mode is a virtual machine and and XP license. If you use some other VM technology such as VirtualBox you still need to purchase an XP license, and that tips the cost equation in favour of Win 7 professional.