Sign in with
Your question

Looking at Upgrading RAM - Have a few Questions

Last response: in Memory
April 8, 2007 7:23:25 PM

Hey everyone - I'm finally looking at taking the leap from 2gb of RAM to 4, and I'm pondering my choices.

I have a DFI LanParty Mobo and I originally installed some Corsair RAM which my mobo absolutely hated; I sent it back and got some OCZ instead, and that worked very well, but that was two years ago and I'm not current on what good quality RAM is these days.

My old RAM is DDR 333, and I'm shooting for getting some DDR2 800 this time if I can afford it. This RAM looked tempting:

http://www.newegg.com/product/product.asp?item=N82E16820208084

...but its low price and generic-sounding manufacturer makes me suspicious. I was hoping any of you who know more about the subject of memory than me (the bulk of you) had any recommendations for good, fast DDR2 800 Ram in 1gb sticks that won't completely break the bank and will deliver good performance for the money.

I humbly await your collective wisdom.

Thanks!

-Bolgard
April 8, 2007 8:05:02 PM

If your mobo takes DDR it is almost certain that it does not take DDR2. There is an AsRock mobo that will but not at the same time. I think you'll have to use DDR400 if you want to add ram. Not sure what the 4GB would be for though - 2GB is plenty. Are you seriously running low on memory when running applications?

Jo
a b } Memory
April 10, 2007 8:07:55 PM

JMecc is correct. DFI does not make a MOBO that accepts both DDR and DDR2 memory. You will either need to buy DDR memory or, upgrade your CPU and MOBO to use your chosen memory.
!