Extra "Favorites" folder

April 13, 2005 2:37:58 AM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp,microsoft.public.windowsxp.basics,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general (More info?)

I'm having a problem with my "Favorites" folder.

I'm running Windows XP Professional SP2, with Internet Explorer
6.0.2900.2180.xpsp_sp2_rtm.040803-2158. I'm logged on as a "Power User" (NOT
as an "Administrator").

Some process is adding a "Favorites" folder to my Favorites folder.

That is, when I pull down the Favorites menu, there's an entry called
"Favorites". It's a folder, and it's empty.

If I delete this folder, it reappears the next time I open the Favorites
menu.

Does anybody have any idea what would be causing this to happen? I'd really
like to get rid of it, if possible.

--
Michael S. Meyers-Jouan
Please reply to the newsgroup to keep the thread intact

More about : extra favorites folder

Anonymous
April 13, 2005 2:37:59 AM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.basics,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general (More info?)

Michael,

Are you on a network?
If yes it could be a policy being pushed down to the workstation that is
creating the extra folder.

Is it happening to other users when they login on the same PC?
Let me know.

"Michael S. Meyers-Jouan" wrote:

> I'm having a problem with my "Favorites" folder.
>
> I'm running Windows XP Professional SP2, with Internet Explorer
> 6.0.2900.2180.xpsp_sp2_rtm.040803-2158. I'm logged on as a "Power User" (NOT
> as an "Administrator").
>
> Some process is adding a "Favorites" folder to my Favorites folder.
>
> That is, when I pull down the Favorites menu, there's an entry called
> "Favorites". It's a folder, and it's empty.
>
> If I delete this folder, it reappears the next time I open the Favorites
> menu.
>
> Does anybody have any idea what would be causing this to happen? I'd really
> like to get rid of it, if possible.
>

> --
> Michael S. Meyers-Jouan
> Please reply to the newsgroup to keep the thread intact
> E-mail first name at last name ".name"

Anonymous
April 13, 2005 2:52:46 AM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.basics,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general (More info?)

Mike,

I'm on a LAN, but it's a peer network - a Workgroup, with no Active
Directory and no servers. Group policies are not in force.

It's NOT happening to other users.

"Mike Chung" <MikeChung@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
news:D BDFEF55-EFDE-452B-941C-5EDBC1FAD976@microsoft.com...
> Michael,
>
> Are you on a network?
> If yes it could be a policy being pushed down to the workstation that is
> creating the extra folder.
>
> Is it happening to other users when they login on the same PC?
> Let me know.
>
> "Michael S. Meyers-Jouan" wrote:
>
>> I'm having a problem with my "Favorites" folder.
>>
>> I'm running Windows XP Professional SP2, with Internet Explorer
>> 6.0.2900.2180.xpsp_sp2_rtm.040803-2158. I'm logged on as a "Power User"
>> (NOT
>> as an "Administrator").
>>
>> Some process is adding a "Favorites" folder to my Favorites folder.
>>
>> That is, when I pull down the Favorites menu, there's an entry called
>> "Favorites". It's a folder, and it's empty.
>>
>> If I delete this folder, it reappears the next time I open the Favorites
>> menu.
>>
>> Does anybody have any idea what would be causing this to happen? I'd
>> really
>> like to get rid of it, if possible.
>>

>> --
>> Michael S. Meyers-Jouan
>> Please reply to the newsgroup to keep the thread intact
>> E-mail first name at last name ".name"

Related resources
April 13, 2005 2:52:47 AM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.basics,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general (More info?)

Hi Michael,

Run this combo, especially the last one:

Run Ad-Aware SE, Spybot, CWShredder and HijackThis:
http://www.majorgeeks.com/downloads31.html

Note: Update the first two programs, once installed, before running.

Added info:

Go to
HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\UserShellFolders

Look in the right pane for the Favorites value. Note the full path to the
Favorites folder.

This value should be a REG_SZ value type, not a REG_EXPAND_SZ type. If its
the latter of the two, right click Favorites and select Delete. Then right
click in the right pane and select New, String value and name it Favorites.
Double click the new entry and enter the path to the Favorites folder (you
should have noted it, above).

--
In memory of our dear friend, MVP Alex Nichol: http://www.dts-l.org/

All the Best,
Kelly (MS-MVP)

Troubleshooting Windows XP
http://www.kellys-korner-xp.com

"Michael S. Meyers-Jouan" <Michael__No_Spam__@Meyers-Jouan.name> wrote in
message news:%P%6e.313$mm6.142@fe08.lga...
> Mike,
>
> I'm on a LAN, but it's a peer network - a Workgroup, with no Active
> Directory and no servers. Group policies are not in force.
>
> It's NOT happening to other users.
>
> "Mike Chung" <MikeChung@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> news:D BDFEF55-EFDE-452B-941C-5EDBC1FAD976@microsoft.com...
>> Michael,
>>
>> Are you on a network?
>> If yes it could be a policy being pushed down to the workstation that is
>> creating the extra folder.
>>
>> Is it happening to other users when they login on the same PC?
>> Let me know.
>>
>> "Michael S. Meyers-Jouan" wrote:
>>
>>> I'm having a problem with my "Favorites" folder.
>>>
>>> I'm running Windows XP Professional SP2, with Internet Explorer
>>> 6.0.2900.2180.xpsp_sp2_rtm.040803-2158. I'm logged on as a "Power User"
>>> (NOT
>>> as an "Administrator").
>>>
>>> Some process is adding a "Favorites" folder to my Favorites folder.
>>>
>>> That is, when I pull down the Favorites menu, there's an entry called
>>> "Favorites". It's a folder, and it's empty.
>>>
>>> If I delete this folder, it reappears the next time I open the Favorites
>>> menu.
>>>
>>> Does anybody have any idea what would be causing this to happen? I'd
>>> really
>>> like to get rid of it, if possible.
>>>

>>> --
>>> Michael S. Meyers-Jouan
>>> Please reply to the newsgroup to keep the thread intact
>>> E-mail first name at last name ".name"

Anonymous
April 13, 2005 4:24:43 AM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.basics,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general (More info?)

Kelly,

I ran Ad-Aware and Spybot, which both reported no problems.

I then deleted
HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\User
Shell Folders\Favorites (it WAS a REG_EXPAND_SZ), and recreated the value as
a REG_SZ, preserving the value ("%USERPROFILE%\Favorites").

The results:
1. Although the start menu and Outlook both displayed my hierarchy of
Favorites, Internet Explorer's "Favorites" menu contained only two entries:
"Add to Favorites..." and "Organize Favorites...". Neither entry works, and
none of my favorites appear below them.

2. Furthermore, I'm still seeing a "Favorites" folder reappearing in the
Folders menu.

I restored the registry key (I saved a .REG file from one of the other user
names, and merging it under my user name. This restored normal operation to
the "Favorites" menu in Internet Explorer, but I'm still seeing the
OCCASIONAL reappearance of the extra "Favorites" folder.

Do you have any other suggestions?

> Hi Michael,
>
> Run this combo, especially the last one:
>
> Run Ad-Aware SE, Spybot, CWShredder and HijackThis:
> http://www.majorgeeks.com/downloads31.html
>
> Note: Update the first two programs, once installed, before running.
>
> Added info:
>
> Go to
> HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\UserShellFolders
>
> Look in the right pane for the Favorites value. Note the full path to the
> Favorites folder.
>
> This value should be a REG_SZ value type, not a REG_EXPAND_SZ type. If
> its the latter of the two, right click Favorites and select Delete. Then
> right click in the right pane and select New, String value and name it
> Favorites. Double click the new entry and enter the path to the Favorites
> folder (you should have noted it, above).
>
> --
> In memory of our dear friend, MVP Alex Nichol: http://www.dts-l.org/
>
> All the Best,
> Kelly (MS-MVP)
>
> Troubleshooting Windows XP
> http://www.kellys-korner-xp.com
>

> "Michael S. Meyers-Jouan" <Michael__No_Spam__@Meyers-Jouan.name> wrote in
> message news:%P%6e.313$mm6.142@fe08.lga...
>> Mike,
>>
>> I'm on a LAN, but it's a peer network - a Workgroup, with no Active
>> Directory and no servers. Group policies are not in force.
>>
>> It's NOT happening to other users.
>>
>> "Mike Chung" <MikeChung@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> news:D BDFEF55-EFDE-452B-941C-5EDBC1FAD976@microsoft.com...
>>> Michael,
>>>
>>> Are you on a network?
>>> If yes it could be a policy being pushed down to the workstation that is
>>> creating the extra folder.
>>>
>>> Is it happening to other users when they login on the same PC?

April 13, 2005 4:24:44 AM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.basics,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general (More info?)

Hi Michael,

>but I'm still seeing the OCCASIONAL reappearance of the extra "Favorites"
>folder.

Can you explain the occasional?

--

message news:D a17e.335$mm6.111@fe08.lga...
> Kelly,
>
> I ran Ad-Aware and Spybot, which both reported no problems.
>
> I then deleted
> HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\User
> Shell Folders\Favorites (it WAS a REG_EXPAND_SZ), and recreated the value
> as a REG_SZ, preserving the value ("%USERPROFILE%\Favorites").
>
> The results:
> 1. Although the start menu and Outlook both displayed my hierarchy of
> Favorites, Internet Explorer's "Favorites" menu contained only two
> entries: "Add to Favorites..." and "Organize Favorites...". Neither entry
> works, and none of my favorites appear below them.
>
> 2. Furthermore, I'm still seeing a "Favorites" folder reappearing in the
> Folders menu.
>
> I restored the registry key (I saved a .REG file from one of the other
> user names, and merging it under my user name. This restored normal
> operation to the "Favorites" menu in Internet Explorer, but I'm still
> seeing the OCCASIONAL reappearance of the extra "Favorites" folder.
>
> Do you have any other suggestions?

>> Hi Michael,
>>
>> Run this combo, especially the last one:
>>
>> Run Ad-Aware SE, Spybot, CWShredder and HijackThis:
>> http://www.majorgeeks.com/downloads31.html
>>
>> Note: Update the first two programs, once installed, before running.
>>
>> Added info:
>>
>> Go to
>> HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\UserShellFolders
>>
>> Look in the right pane for the Favorites value. Note the full path to
>> the Favorites folder.
>>
>> This value should be a REG_SZ value type, not a REG_EXPAND_SZ type. If
>> its the latter of the two, right click Favorites and select Delete. Then
>> right click in the right pane and select New, String value and name it
>> Favorites. Double click the new entry and enter the path to the Favorites
>> folder (you should have noted it, above).
>>
>> --
>> In memory of our dear friend, MVP Alex Nichol: http://www.dts-l.org/
>>
>> All the Best,
>> Kelly (MS-MVP)
>>
>> Troubleshooting Windows XP
>> http://www.kellys-korner-xp.com
>>

>> "Michael S. Meyers-Jouan" <Michael__No_Spam__@Meyers-Jouan.name> wrote in
>> message news:%P%6e.313$mm6.142@fe08.lga...
>>> Mike,
>>>
>>> I'm on a LAN, but it's a peer network - a Workgroup, with no Active
>>> Directory and no servers. Group policies are not in force.
>>>
>>> It's NOT happening to other users.
>>>
>>> "Mike Chung" <MikeChung@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>>> news:D BDFEF55-EFDE-452B-941C-5EDBC1FAD976@microsoft.com...

Anonymous
April 13, 2005 10:29:15 AM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.basics,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general (More info?)

Michael,

Try deleting your local user profile and see if that resolves your problem.
Keep in mind that deleting the profile you will lose all your favorites and
desktop settings.

"Michael S. Meyers-Jouan" wrote:

> Mike,
>
> I'm on a LAN, but it's a peer network - a Workgroup, with no Active
> Directory and no servers. Group policies are not in force.
>
> It's NOT happening to other users.
>
> "Mike Chung" <MikeChung@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> news:D BDFEF55-EFDE-452B-941C-5EDBC1FAD976@microsoft.com...
> > Michael,
> >
> > Are you on a network?
> > If yes it could be a policy being pushed down to the workstation that is
> > creating the extra folder.
> >
> > Is it happening to other users when they login on the same PC?
> > Let me know.
> >
> > "Michael S. Meyers-Jouan" wrote:
> >
> >> I'm having a problem with my "Favorites" folder.
> >>
> >> I'm running Windows XP Professional SP2, with Internet Explorer
> >> 6.0.2900.2180.xpsp_sp2_rtm.040803-2158. I'm logged on as a "Power User"
> >> (NOT
> >> as an "Administrator").
> >>
> >> Some process is adding a "Favorites" folder to my Favorites folder.
> >>
> >> That is, when I pull down the Favorites menu, there's an entry called
> >> "Favorites". It's a folder, and it's empty.
> >>
> >> If I delete this folder, it reappears the next time I open the Favorites
> >> menu.
> >>
> >> Does anybody have any idea what would be causing this to happen? I'd
> >> really
> >> like to get rid of it, if possible.
> >>

> >> --
> >> Michael S. Meyers-Jouan
> >> Please reply to the newsgroup to keep the thread intact
> >> E-mail first name at last name ".name"

Anonymous
April 13, 2005 9:03:09 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.basics,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general (More info?)

Kelly,

I'm not sure I can characterize "occasional". I haven't been able to
identify any event that causes the folder to reappear. However, it SEEMS to
be related to launching Internet Explorer.

If I delete the folder (say, from the "Favorites" selection on my Start
Menu), it generally doesn't reappear when I monitor the main Favorites
folder WITHOUT using IE (say, by looking at the Start Menu or by looking at
the Favorites menu in Outlook).

However, I can't say for certain that the ONLY time the folder reappears is
when I run Internet Explorer.

--

> Hi Michael,
>
>>but I'm still seeing the OCCASIONAL reappearance of the extra "Favorites"
>>folder.
>
> Can you explain the occasional?
>
> --
> In memory of our dear friend, MVP Alex Nichol: http://www.dts-l.org/
>
> All the Best,
> Kelly (MS-MVP)
>
> Troubleshooting Windows XP
> http://www.kellys-korner-xp.com
>

> "Michael S. Meyers-Jouan" <Michael__No_Spam__@Meyers-Jouan.name> wrote in
> message news:D a17e.335$mm6.111@fe08.lga...
>> Kelly,
>>
>> I ran Ad-Aware and Spybot, which both reported no problems.
>>
>> I then deleted
>> HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\User
>> Shell Folders\Favorites (it WAS a REG_EXPAND_SZ), and recreated the value
>> as a REG_SZ, preserving the value ("%USERPROFILE%\Favorites").
>>
>> The results:
>> 1. Although the start menu and Outlook both displayed my hierarchy of
>> Favorites, Internet Explorer's "Favorites" menu contained only two
>> entries: "Add to Favorites..." and "Organize Favorites...". Neither entry
>> works, and none of my favorites appear below them.
>>
>> 2. Furthermore, I'm still seeing a "Favorites" folder reappearing in the
>> Folders menu.
>>
>> I restored the registry key (I saved a .REG file from one of the other
>> user names, and merging it under my user name. This restored normal
>> operation to the "Favorites" menu in Internet Explorer, but I'm still
>> seeing the OCCASIONAL reappearance of the extra "Favorites" folder.
>>
>> Do you have any other suggestions?
>>
>> "Kelly" <kelly@mvps.org> wrote in message
>>> Hi Michael,
>>>
>>> Run this combo, especially the last one:
>>>
>>> Run Ad-Aware SE, Spybot, CWShredder and HijackThis:
>>> http://www.majorgeeks.com/downloads31.html
>>>
>>> Note: Update the first two programs, once installed, before running.
>>>
>>> Added info:
>>>
>>> Go to
>>> HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\UserShellFolders
>>>
>>> Look in the right pane for the Favorites value. Note the full path to
>>> the Favorites folder.
>>>
>>> This value should be a REG_SZ value type, not a REG_EXPAND_SZ type. If
>>> its the latter of the two, right click Favorites and select Delete.
>>> Then right click in the right pane and select New, String value and name
>>> it Favorites. Double click the new entry and enter the path to the
>>> Favorites folder (you should have noted it, above).
>>>
>>> --
>>> In memory of our dear friend, MVP Alex Nichol: http://www.dts-l.org/
>>>
>>> All the Best,
>>> Kelly (MS-MVP)
>>>
>>> Troubleshooting Windows XP
>>> http://www.kellys-korner-xp.com
>>>

>>> "Michael S. Meyers-Jouan" <Michael__No_Spam__@Meyers-Jouan.name> wrote
>>> in message news:%P%6e.313$mm6.142@fe08.lga...

Anonymous
April 13, 2005 9:04:08 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.basics,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general (More info?)

Mike,

I appreciate the attempt to help, but at the moment this is just an
annoyance, and I'm not ready to get into a full day's work recreating my
user profile.

--

!