First Build, Advice Appreciated

lacro

Distinguished
Feb 17, 2007
Due to price cuts by AMD, I have decided it would be a nice time to start my build.

[edit]Sorry, I should have included what the computer will be used for as well. It will be used mainly for gaming. I also will be doing some rendering with AutoCadd and Inventor.[/edit]

AMD Athlon 64 X2 6000+ Windsor 3.0GHz Socket AM2 Processor Model ADX6000CZBOX - Retail
EPoX EP-AF590SLI2 Socket AM2 NVIDIA nForce 590 SLI MCP ATX AMD Motherboard - Retail (Up for advice)
Antec Nine Hundred Black Steel ATX Mid Tower Computer Case - Retail
Seagate Barracuda 7200.10 ST3320620AS (Perpendicular Recording Technology) 320GB 7200 RPM SATA 3.0Gb/s Hard Drive - OEM
SONY Black IDE DVD-ROM Drive Model DDU1615/B2s - OEM

I will probably get either a EVGA 8800GTS or 8800GTX graphics card. I like what I have heard about the companies support.

I could use some advice on some quality PSUs that will power this system easily and be able to handle future upgrades. I know I need about 450 watts, but would like 600+ in a PSU just to be on the safe side. Also, advice on some RAM would be appreciated, I may OC some in the future, but nothing immediate. If there is a better motherboard for this build, I would appreciate your opinions.

Thank you.

skyguy

Distinguished
Aug 14, 2006
A Core2Duo 6600 will beat that AMD, and at a lower price. PLUS, you can overclock the snot out of the 6600 and it'll knock the AMD back into last week.

And no I'm no fanboy, I've owned both. I'm performance-for-the-price fanboy. And for renderings you'll want all the horsepower you can get.

Plus, C2D price drops happen at the end of this month. You can get a champ 6600 for alot less than its current prices, which makes it an even more attractive purchase.

OH, and the Seasonic? It's simply amazing, highly recommended.

Deux

Distinguished
Feb 21, 2007
^Hate to tell you but at stock the 6000+ beats the 6600 at stock most of the time and the motherboard will be cheaper. So if he is not wiling to overclock then the 6000 plus would be better for him.

lacro

Distinguished
Feb 17, 2007
Well, I plan on going with the X2 6000 in hope that the price will drop on Newegg like it has on mwave and retain the free Seagate 320gb HD deal.

skyguy

Distinguished
Aug 14, 2006
I don't see many "cheap" AM2 boards that will do a X2 6000 justice. Low-end boards for sure, but the price differences at the mid range are negligble.

I would imagine the Gigabyte 965P-S3, Biostar 965PT, and MSI Neo-F would give any AM2 board a run for its money in terms of quality, features, stability, and price for non-overclocking. Mind you, low cost AM2 boards are plentiful, but they are cheap garbage.

My point is that if you were to find a DECENT AM2 board, it would not be as cheap as people think when compareed against the Intel ones I mention. It is a common misconception that AM2 boards are alot cheaper. They are cheaper, but not by much, apples to apples. And when you factor the total cost of the system, it's an extremely small cost difference actually. So in fact, the "AM2 mobos are cheaper" is widely used but also widely mistaken when those facts are taken in context.

Regardless, if he wants an X2 6000, then he wants it. I'm simply pointing out the facts and options for someone to make an informed decision. Certainly nothing "wrong" with the 6000, but I would hesitate to recommend it over a C2D simply because someone might incorrectly think the mobos are cheaper. Kinda like recommending a Porsche over a Ferrari because the oil changes are cheaper ;)

lacro

Distinguished
Feb 17, 2007
I appreciate your advice and actually agree with your advice, but I have become impatient since I have been planning on building a computer since before Thanksgiving and figure these price cuts coupled with a free $86 quality HD would be a rather good deal.

In all honesty, I was originally planning to get an E6600 and probably will if that deal with the HD does not hold true after the major price cut. Will actually go for the E6700 after Intel cuts its prices if it comes down to it.

senor_bob

Distinguished
Mar 23, 2007
^Hate to tell you but at stock the 6000+ beats the 6600 at stock most of the time and the motherboard will be cheaper. So if he is not wiling to overclock then the 6000 plus would be better for him.
I'm not too sure about that, unless your favorite applications are memory benchmarks. Flipping through the CPU comparisons here at Tom's I estimated about a 2 to 1 edge to the e6600 in victories, although many were effectively tied. The two CPUs are fairly closely matched in performance at stock speed and the only blowouts are in the synthetic benchmarks (AMD on memory and floating point, Intel on integer). Really either path AMD or Intel is a good call at the current pricing structures.

lacro

Distinguished
Feb 17, 2007
I am just hoping that barcelona and agena are what AMD says they are so I have upgrade options.

lacro

Distinguished
Feb 17, 2007
Also, what would be a good aftermarket CPU cooler. I have heard that I may need to mod a little to fit a tuniq tower or other such coolers if I were to install another fan on the side of the Antec 900. I do not wish to do this and would also like to avoid any unnecessary stress upon the motherboard from the cooler as I have read that some of the larger coolers do.