Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

How can I test my XP firewall

Last response: in Windows XP
Share
Anonymous
April 13, 2005 5:41:38 AM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.basics (More info?)

How can I test my XP firewall? I know there must be some website somewhere
that I can go to and see if anything can slip through my defenses.

Thanks.

More about : test firewall

Anonymous
April 13, 2005 5:41:39 AM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.basics (More info?)

The XP firewall isn't that great. I'd still use something like Zone Alarm
or if you have a router, use your hardware firewall.
"pcBody1" <pcBody1@hotmail.com> wrote in message
news:uWKVUP$PFHA.1932@tk2msftngp13.phx.gbl...
> How can I test my XP firewall? I know there must be some website somewhere
> that I can go to and see if anything can slip through my defenses.
>
> Thanks.
>
Anonymous
April 13, 2005 10:47:21 AM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.basics (More info?)

"pcBody1" <pcBody1@hotmail.com> wrote in message
news:uWKVUP$PFHA.1932@tk2msftngp13.phx.gbl...
> How can I test my XP firewall? I know there must be some website somewhere
> that I can go to and see if anything can slip through my defenses.

http://www.hackerwatch.org/probe/
Related resources
April 13, 2005 7:26:21 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.basics (More info?)

inline...

"Nocturnal" <nocturnal@anonymous.com> wrote in message
news:etc2aTBQFHA.3628@TK2MSFTNGP15.phx.gbl...
> The XP firewall isn't that great. I'd still use something like Zone Alarm
> or if you have a router, use your hardware firewall.
the 'or'-alternative is nice, but far from perfect.
Hardware firewalls usually are oblivious of applications and do a pretty
good job of packet filtering, network related but not application related.
So it is difficult (if not impossible) to define that you do not want progx
to use http, but to allow progy to use it. The software-based ones (like
ZoneAlarm or Kerio of Sygate) often do a far better job there, albeit that
performance wise the hardware ones are lightning fast and the software ones
lose that contest.

my 2c

george



> "pcBody1" <pcBody1@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> news:uWKVUP$PFHA.1932@tk2msftngp13.phx.gbl...
>> How can I test my XP firewall? I know there must be some website
>> somewhere that I can go to and see if anything can slip through my
>> defenses.
>>
>> Thanks.
>>
>
>
Anonymous
April 13, 2005 8:22:45 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.basics (More info?)

Also check using Gibson research
https://www.grc.com/x/ne.dll?bh0bkyd2

rt
"pcBody1" <pcBody1@hotmail.com> wrote in message
news:uWKVUP$PFHA.1932@tk2msftngp13.phx.gbl...
> How can I test my XP firewall? I know there must be some website somewhere
> that I can go to and see if anything can slip through my defenses.
>
> Thanks.
>
Anonymous
April 13, 2005 8:22:46 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.basics (More info?)

Try the following site for testing your firewall:
https://www.grc.com/x/ne.dll?bh0bkyd2

--
In memory of our dear friend, MVP Alex Nichol.

Michael Solomon MS-MVP
Windows Shell/User
https://mvp.support.microsoft.com/communities/mvp.aspx
Backup is a PC User's Best Friend
DTS-L.Org: http://www.dts-l.org/


"Rafael T" <okinawapro@hotmail.com> wrote in message
news:etBoEl$PFHA.3156@TK2MSFTNGP15.phx.gbl...
> Also check using Gibson research
> https://www.grc.com/x/ne.dll?bh0bkyd2
>
> rt
> "pcBody1" <pcBody1@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> news:uWKVUP$PFHA.1932@tk2msftngp13.phx.gbl...
>> How can I test my XP firewall? I know there must be some website
>> somewhere that I can go to and see if anything can slip through my
>> defenses.
>>
>> Thanks.
>>
>
>
Anonymous
April 14, 2005 3:28:31 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.basics (More info?)

go to www.sarc.com.
Go into security risks.
This is the norton website.
"george" <anonymous@discussion.microsoft.com> wrote in message
news:eLN2kxCQFHA.3212@TK2MSFTNGP10.phx.gbl...
> inline...
>
> "Nocturnal" <nocturnal@anonymous.com> wrote in message
> news:etc2aTBQFHA.3628@TK2MSFTNGP15.phx.gbl...
> > The XP firewall isn't that great. I'd still use something like Zone
Alarm
> > or if you have a router, use your hardware firewall.
> the 'or'-alternative is nice, but far from perfect.
> Hardware firewalls usually are oblivious of applications and do a pretty
> good job of packet filtering, network related but not application related.
> So it is difficult (if not impossible) to define that you do not want
progx
> to use http, but to allow progy to use it. The software-based ones (like
> ZoneAlarm or Kerio of Sygate) often do a far better job there, albeit that
> performance wise the hardware ones are lightning fast and the software
ones
> lose that contest.
>
> my 2c
>
> george
>
>
>
> > "pcBody1" <pcBody1@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> > news:uWKVUP$PFHA.1932@tk2msftngp13.phx.gbl...
> >> How can I test my XP firewall? I know there must be some website
> >> somewhere that I can go to and see if anything can slip through my
> >> defenses.
> >>
> >> Thanks.
> >>
> >
> >
>
>
!