AHinderedPlayer

Distinguished
May 6, 2006
Basically I'm asking how would I install windows XP (installation is on a partition of the hard drive) if there is no operating system currently installed. How do I access the installer and tell it to run?

AHinderedPlayer

Distinguished
May 6, 2006
Maybe I didn't make myself clear. My system came with no cd. XP is embedded. The files neccessary to load the operating system, basically what would be on a Windows XP installation cd, is instead on this partition, this is where the operating system is installed from. I just need to be able to access it and tell it to run the installation. Now whether I have to get some sort of files or do some kind of hacking or emulation to make this installation run, whatever it is I'll do it. I have my product key on the back of my machine. I paid good money for the computer/operating system and I shouldn't be screwed over by either having to buy a new OS or by paying Sony more money to ship me recovery cd's which should have been given to me to begin with. A perfectly good Windows XP installer is on this hard drive, theres gotta be a way.

There should be a key to press or a menu option available. I know on some HPs, they say "Press F10 for system recovery" on the POST start-up screen. Others have a menu option in the XP boot menu.

I'm not sure what Sony does... so I couldn't tell you precisely... but there are a couple of things to look for at least.