My computer is running - BUT!!!

April 13, 2005 2:10:44 PM

Hello,

After a MAJOR crash on my computer (see previous threads), it is now
running.

But when I scroll down a page, it judders, and when the page is NOT
maximised, and I move it around the screen, it sort of
stammers/judders, a bit like waves going across the screen. Other then
this it is fine.

I gave my computer to a friend of my brother, he's very good at fixing
them, he basically couldn't save anything and needed to format the
drive. My computer is a Time Computer, and at the time I did not have a
TIME re-load disc. So he loaded my brothers copy of XP, my brother as a
DELL computer.
Could this be the cause of my problem, what if I used my TIME reload CD
(which as now arrived) would this sort my problem?

I also looked into Device Manager, and the following appeared:
its saying that the following things do not have drivers:

1, Ethernet Controller – Drivers Not Installed (code 28)

2, SM Bus Controller – Same

3, Video Controller (VGA Compatible) – Same

There was a fourth, but I put my TIME driver CD in and this one
repaired itself – Multimedia Audio Controller.

Maybe it’s because it’s a DELL XP programme?

Please any idea's of sorting this small problem (but annoying) out.

Thank you.

--
djgosling

More about : computer running

Anonymous
April 13, 2005 2:10:45 PM

This is not an acceptable way to get your computer
running, the Dell rescue CD is not intended for non Dell
computers. You will need to either find the TIME rescue
disk, and perform a rescue installation from that, or
purchase a retail version of XP.

xfiler

Anonymous
April 13, 2005 3:57:50 PM

DJ

You should seriously re-assess the competence and knowledge level
demonstrated by the friend of your brother.. I have no doubt that whatever
steps taken were in good faith, but ignorance of certain facts will offset
the good deed somewhat..

As you are now in possession of the Time CD, read the supplied instructions
for use of it, and then start the process of re-installation.. refer to Time
computers if you have any problems or queries regarding the process..

--
Mike Hall
MVP - Windows Shell/user

http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm

"djgosling" <djgosling.1nfd1m@pcbanter.net> wrote in message
news:D jgosling.1nfd1m@pcbanter.net...

> Hello,
>
> After a MAJOR crash on my computer (see previous threads), it is now
> running.
>
> But when I scroll down a page, it judders, and when the page is NOT
> maximised, and I move it around the screen, it sort of
> stammers/judders, a bit like waves going across the screen. Other then
> this it is fine.
>
> I gave my computer to a friend of my brother, he's very good at fixing
> them, he basically couldn't save anything and needed to format the
> drive. My computer is a Time Computer, and at the time I did not have a
> TIME re-load disc. So he loaded my brothers copy of XP, my brother as a
> DELL computer.
> Could this be the cause of my problem, what if I used my TIME reload CD
> (which as now arrived) would this sort my problem?
>
> I also looked into Device Manager, and the following appeared:
> its saying that the following things do not have drivers:
>
> 1, Ethernet Controller - Drivers Not Installed (code 28)
>
> 2, SM Bus Controller - Same
>
> 3, Video Controller (VGA Compatible) - Same
>
> There was a fourth, but I put my TIME driver CD in and this one
> repaired itself - Multimedia Audio Controller.
>
> Maybe it's because it's a DELL XP programme?
>
> Please any idea's of sorting this small problem (but annoying) out.
>
> Thank you.
>

> --
> djgosling
April 13, 2005 3:57:51 PM

Thank you.

Will I be OK to re-install from my TIME CD, or will it all get very confused.
At present it is just a joy to have my computer working, although if I do
use the TIME CD, I would rather do it soon. Before I start putting too much
back on the computer. At least I can back-up all my files this time.

But I need to be sure that re-installing from the TIME CD will be okay.
Can you assure me, it will.

Thanks again.
DG

"Mike Hall (MS-MVP)" wrote:

> DJ
>
> You should seriously re-assess the competence and knowledge level
> demonstrated by the friend of your brother.. I have no doubt that whatever
> steps taken were in good faith, but ignorance of certain facts will offset
> the good deed somewhat..
>
> As you are now in possession of the Time CD, read the supplied instructions
> for use of it, and then start the process of re-installation.. refer to Time
> computers if you have any problems or queries regarding the process..
>
> --
> Mike Hall
> MVP - Windows Shell/user
>
> http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm
>

> "djgosling" <djgosling.1nfd1m@pcbanter.net> wrote in message
> news:D jgosling.1nfd1m@pcbanter.net...
> >
> > Hello,
> >
> > After a MAJOR crash on my computer (see previous threads), it is now
> > running.
> >
> > But when I scroll down a page, it judders, and when the page is NOT
> > maximised, and I move it around the screen, it sort of
> > stammers/judders, a bit like waves going across the screen. Other then
> > this it is fine.
> >
> > I gave my computer to a friend of my brother, he's very good at fixing
> > them, he basically couldn't save anything and needed to format the
> > drive. My computer is a Time Computer, and at the time I did not have a
> > TIME re-load disc. So he loaded my brothers copy of XP, my brother as a
> > DELL computer.
> > Could this be the cause of my problem, what if I used my TIME reload CD
> > (which as now arrived) would this sort my problem?
> >
> > I also looked into Device Manager, and the following appeared:
> > its saying that the following things do not have drivers:
> >
> > 1, Ethernet Controller - Drivers Not Installed (code 28)
> >
> > 2, SM Bus Controller - Same
> >
> > 3, Video Controller (VGA Compatible) - Same
> >
> > There was a fourth, but I put my TIME driver CD in and this one
> > repaired itself - Multimedia Audio Controller.
> >
> > Maybe it's because it's a DELL XP programme?
> >
> > Please any idea's of sorting this small problem (but annoying) out.
> >
> > Thank you.
> >

> > --
> > djgosling

Anonymous
April 13, 2005 3:57:52 PM

DG - you must use the TIME CD to correct the problems you
are having. You should be able to do a repair
installation, barring that you would be able to reset
your computer back to the way it was when it was new.

xfiler

Anonymous
April 13, 2005 4:39:26 PM

You should not reinstall over the top. If the TIME CD offers the option to
format the drive, thus wiping your drive of all information on it including
any of your data files, use that option.

--
In memory of our dear friend, MVP Alex Nichol.

Michael Solomon MS-MVP
Windows Shell/User
Backup is a PC User's Best Friend
DTS-L.Org: http://www.dts-l.org/

"DaveG" <DaveG@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Thank you.
>
> Will I be OK to re-install from my TIME CD, or will it all get very
> confused.
> At present it is just a joy to have my computer working, although if I do
> use the TIME CD, I would rather do it soon. Before I start putting too
> much
> back on the computer. At least I can back-up all my files this time.
>
> But I need to be sure that re-installing from the TIME CD will be okay.
> Can you assure me, it will.
>
> Thanks again.
> DG
>
> "Mike Hall (MS-MVP)" wrote:
>
>> DJ
>>
>> You should seriously re-assess the competence and knowledge level
>> demonstrated by the friend of your brother.. I have no doubt that
>> whatever
>> steps taken were in good faith, but ignorance of certain facts will
>> offset
>> the good deed somewhat..
>>
>> As you are now in possession of the Time CD, read the supplied
>> instructions
>> for use of it, and then start the process of re-installation.. refer to
>> Time
>> computers if you have any problems or queries regarding the process..
>>
>> --
>> Mike Hall
>> MVP - Windows Shell/user
>>
>> http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm
>>

>> "djgosling" <djgosling.1nfd1m@pcbanter.net> wrote in message
>> news:D jgosling.1nfd1m@pcbanter.net...
>> >
>> > Hello,
>> >
>> > After a MAJOR crash on my computer (see previous threads), it is now
>> > running.
>> >
>> > But when I scroll down a page, it judders, and when the page is NOT
>> > maximised, and I move it around the screen, it sort of
>> > stammers/judders, a bit like waves going across the screen. Other then
>> > this it is fine.
>> >
>> > I gave my computer to a friend of my brother, he's very good at fixing
>> > them, he basically couldn't save anything and needed to format the
>> > drive. My computer is a Time Computer, and at the time I did not have a
>> > TIME re-load disc. So he loaded my brothers copy of XP, my brother as a
>> > DELL computer.
>> > Could this be the cause of my problem, what if I used my TIME reload CD
>> > (which as now arrived) would this sort my problem?
>> >
>> > I also looked into Device Manager, and the following appeared:
>> > its saying that the following things do not have drivers:
>> >
>> > 1, Ethernet Controller - Drivers Not Installed (code 28)
>> >
>> > 2, SM Bus Controller - Same
>> >
>> > 3, Video Controller (VGA Compatible) - Same
>> >
>> > There was a fourth, but I put my TIME driver CD in and this one
>> > repaired itself - Multimedia Audio Controller.
>> >
>> > Maybe it's because it's a DELL XP programme?
>> >
>> > Please any idea's of sorting this small problem (but annoying) out.
>> >
>> > Thank you.
>> >

>> > --
>> > djgosling

Anonymous
April 13, 2005 8:41:27 PM

Michael Solomon (MS-MVP) wrote:
> You should not reinstall over the top. If the TIME CD offers the option to
> format the drive, thus wiping your drive of all information on it including
> any of your data files, use that option.

Of course, you will also need to go to the Windows Update site
and reload all of the applicable Service packs and hot fixes.

gls858
Anonymous
April 15, 2005 8:41:31 PM

gls858 <gls858@yahoo.com> wrote in message news:<#1bDNGHQFHA.2580@TK2MSFTNGP10.phx.gbl>...
> Michael Solomon (MS-MVP) wrote:
> > You should not reinstall over the top. If the TIME CD offers the option to
> > format the drive, thus wiping your drive of all information on it including
> > any of your data files, use that option.
> >
> Of course, you will also need to go to the Windows Update site
> and reload all of the applicable Service packs and hot fixes.
>
> gls858

The Time CD is just a recovery disk - it unlocks a hidden image
partition on the hard drive. It wipes the existing installation and
extracts/copies the hidden backup to the hard drive. You cannot use it
to repair an existing installation, or to install over the top as it
does not contain any setup files. All the CD contains is a bootable
floppy image allowing the CD itself to be bootable.
If its used it will put the machine back with the same software load
as when it was delivered - with the correct drivers (which is the
problem here). Use it - its the quickest way to fix the issue.
Demdike
Anonymous
April 16, 2005 12:57:46 AM

and besides, shouldn't the DELL recovery CD be tied to the Dell computer it
specifically was sold with and not be able to be installed on non-dell
machines?

!