My computer is running - BUT!!!

Hello,

After a MAJOR crash on my computer (see previous threads), it is now
running.

But when I scroll down a page, it judders, and when the page is NOT
maximised, and I move it around the screen, it sort of
stammers/judders, a bit like waves going across the screen. Other then
this it is fine.

I gave my computer to a friend of my brother, he's very good at fixing
them, he basically couldn't save anything and needed to format the
drive. My computer is a Time Computer, and at the time I did not have a
TIME re-load disc. So he loaded my brothers copy of XP, my brother as a
DELL computer.
Could this be the cause of my problem, what if I used my TIME reload CD
(which as now arrived) would this sort my problem?

I also looked into Device Manager, and the following appeared:
its saying that the following things do not have drivers:

1, Ethernet Controller – Drivers Not Installed (code 28)

2, SM Bus Controller – Same

3, Video Controller (VGA Compatible) – Same

There was a fourth, but I put my TIME driver CD in and this one
repaired itself – Multimedia Audio Controller.

Maybe it’s because it’s a DELL XP programme?

Please any idea's of sorting this small problem (but annoying) out.

Thank you.

--
djgosling
8 answers Last reply

    This is not an acceptable way to get your computer
    running, the Dell rescue CD is not intended for non Dell
    computers. You will need to either find the TIME rescue
    disk, and perform a rescue installation from that, or
    purchase a retail version of XP.

    xfiler

    DJ

    You should seriously re-assess the competence and knowledge level
    demonstrated by the friend of your brother.. I have no doubt that whatever
    steps taken were in good faith, but ignorance of certain facts will offset
    the good deed somewhat..

    As you are now in possession of the Time CD, read the supplied instructions
    for use of it, and then start the process of re-installation.. refer to Time
    computers if you have any problems or queries regarding the process..

    --
    Mike Hall
    MVP - Windows Shell/user

    http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm

    "djgosling" <djgosling.1nfd1m@pcbanter.net> wrote in message

    > Hello,
    >
    > After a MAJOR crash on my computer (see previous threads), it is now
    > running.
    >
    > But when I scroll down a page, it judders, and when the page is NOT
    > maximised, and I move it around the screen, it sort of
    > stammers/judders, a bit like waves going across the screen. Other then
    > this it is fine.
    >
    > I gave my computer to a friend of my brother, he's very good at fixing
    > them, he basically couldn't save anything and needed to format the
    > drive. My computer is a Time Computer, and at the time I did not have a
    > TIME re-load disc. So he loaded my brothers copy of XP, my brother as a
    > DELL computer.
    > Could this be the cause of my problem, what if I used my TIME reload CD
    > (which as now arrived) would this sort my problem?
    >
    > I also looked into Device Manager, and the following appeared:
    > its saying that the following things do not have drivers:
    >
    > 1, Ethernet Controller - Drivers Not Installed (code 28)
    >
    > 2, SM Bus Controller - Same
    >
    > 3, Video Controller (VGA Compatible) - Same
    >
    > There was a fourth, but I put my TIME driver CD in and this one
    > repaired itself - Multimedia Audio Controller.
    >
    > Maybe it's because it's a DELL XP programme?
    >
    > Please any idea's of sorting this small problem (but annoying) out.
    >
    > Thank you.
    >

    > --
    > djgosling

    Thank you.

    Will I be OK to re-install from my TIME CD, or will it all get very confused.
    At present it is just a joy to have my computer working, although if I do
    use the TIME CD, I would rather do it soon. Before I start putting too much
    back on the computer. At least I can back-up all my files this time.

    But I need to be sure that re-installing from the TIME CD will be okay.
    Can you assure me, it will.

    Thanks again.
    DG

    "Mike Hall (MS-MVP)" wrote:

    > DJ
    >
    > You should seriously re-assess the competence and knowledge level
    > demonstrated by the friend of your brother.. I have no doubt that whatever
    > steps taken were in good faith, but ignorance of certain facts will offset
    > the good deed somewhat..
    >
    > As you are now in possession of the Time CD, read the supplied instructions
    > for use of it, and then start the process of re-installation.. refer to Time
    > computers if you have any problems or queries regarding the process..
    >
    > --
    > Mike Hall
    > MVP - Windows Shell/user
    >
    > http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm
    >

    > "djgosling" <djgosling.1nfd1m@pcbanter.net> wrote in message
    > >
    > > Hello,
    > >
    > > After a MAJOR crash on my computer (see previous threads), it is now
    > > running.
    > >
    > > But when I scroll down a page, it judders, and when the page is NOT
    > > maximised, and I move it around the screen, it sort of
    > > stammers/judders, a bit like waves going across the screen. Other then
    > > this it is fine.
    > >
    > > I gave my computer to a friend of my brother, he's very good at fixing
    > > them, he basically couldn't save anything and needed to format the
    > > drive. My computer is a Time Computer, and at the time I did not have a
    > > TIME re-load disc. So he loaded my brothers copy of XP, my brother as a
    > > DELL computer.
    > > Could this be the cause of my problem, what if I used my TIME reload CD
    > > (which as now arrived) would this sort my problem?
    > >
    > > I also looked into Device Manager, and the following appeared:
    > > its saying that the following things do not have drivers:
    > >
    > > 1, Ethernet Controller - Drivers Not Installed (code 28)
    > >
    > > 2, SM Bus Controller - Same
    > >
    > > 3, Video Controller (VGA Compatible) - Same
    > >
    > > There was a fourth, but I put my TIME driver CD in and this one
    > > repaired itself - Multimedia Audio Controller.
    > >
    > > Maybe it's because it's a DELL XP programme?
    > >
    > > Please any idea's of sorting this small problem (but annoying) out.
    > >
    > > Thank you.
    > >

    > > --
    > > djgosling

    DG - you must use the TIME CD to correct the problems you
    are having. You should be able to do a repair
    installation, barring that you would be able to reset
    your computer back to the way it was when it was new.

    xfiler

    You should not reinstall over the top. If the TIME CD offers the option to
    format the drive, thus wiping your drive of all information on it including
    any of your data files, use that option.

    --
    In memory of our dear friend, MVP Alex Nichol.

    Michael Solomon MS-MVP
    Windows Shell/User
    Backup is a PC User's Best Friend
    DTS-L.Org: http://www.dts-l.org/

    Michael Solomon (MS-MVP) wrote:
    > You should not reinstall over the top. If the TIME CD offers the option to
    > format the drive, thus wiping your drive of all information on it including
    > any of your data files, use that option.

    Of course, you will also need to go to the Windows Update site
    and reload all of the applicable Service packs and hot fixes.

    gls858

    gls858 <gls858@yahoo.com> wrote in message news:<#1bDNGHQFHA.2580@TK2MSFTNGP10.phx.gbl>...
    > Michael Solomon (MS-MVP) wrote:
    > > You should not reinstall over the top. If the TIME CD offers the option to
    > > format the drive, thus wiping your drive of all information on it including
    > > any of your data files, use that option.
    > >
    > Of course, you will also need to go to the Windows Update site
    > and reload all of the applicable Service packs and hot fixes.
    >
    > gls858

    The Time CD is just a recovery disk - it unlocks a hidden image
    partition on the hard drive. It wipes the existing installation and
    extracts/copies the hidden backup to the hard drive. You cannot use it
    to repair an existing installation, or to install over the top as it
    does not contain any setup files. All the CD contains is a bootable
    floppy image allowing the CD itself to be bootable.
    If its used it will put the machine back with the same software load
    as when it was delivered - with the correct drivers (which is the
    problem here). Use it - its the quickest way to fix the issue.
    Demdike

    and besides, shouldn't the DELL recovery CD be tied to the Dell computer it
    specifically was sold with and not be able to be installed on non-dell
    machines?

Computers Windows XP