Sign in with
Your question

Best TEC on the market

Last response: in Overclocking
April 9, 2007 2:06:37 AM

So i've been looking to overclock my CPU and i've wanted to go from water cooling to TEC... So what do u guys think is the best TEC on the market right now.?

I've looked at the Vigor Monsoon II lite but not sure if its the best

More about : tec market

a b à CPUs
April 10, 2007 6:09:25 AM

That's not an upgrade...
April 10, 2007 6:35:07 AM

The Vigor Monsoon is the best air-TEC cooler right now. But base on the reviews some high performance heatsink fan are better. You want high performance TEC then go for a water-TEC cooling like that from Swiftech.

Problem is these stuff are costly and somewhat timely and medium difficult to install. If I were I would just upgrade your water cooling system if it's not good enough.

What's your water cooling specs?
Related resources
April 10, 2007 6:44:31 AM

Quote:
So i've been looking to overclock my CPU and i've wanted to go from water cooling to TEC... So what do u guys think is the best TEC on the market right now.?

I've looked at the Vigor Monsoon II lite but not sure if its the best

I haven't gone beyond the Monsoon II, but I am happy....

...after changing out the stock 92mm fan to a different one. Taking it off the built-in fan speed controller has been a blessing......no more competing with the F-16s that fly overhead and no ill-effects to the cooling efficiency. I plugged it into the CPU fan port on the mobo and let the BIOS take care of things.
April 10, 2007 3:43:07 PM

ZALMAN RESERATOR 1 Fanless Water Cooling System
That is what i have currently for a CPU cooling. A few months ago i wanted to go for quietness but now i am all about performance because i am tired of seeing everyones CPU OCed to 4.0 etc.. i Want the same thing. my processer is a AMD 4200 X2 at 2.21 GHZ.. Should i go with the swiftech or the monsoon II for overclocking this thing... By the way RJ i like your setup Monsoon II OCed processor to 4.05 amazing lol
April 10, 2007 5:13:54 PM

I'm sure you are aware, but your 4200 X2 won't get near 4.0Ghz...

I don't know how much extra performance you will get going from your Zalman Reserator to a TEC/Air hybrid.

I would suggest either upgrading your water cooling or if you really want TEC, going with a kit like Chuck suggested.

What are your temps now with your Reserator? And do you have that add-on fan setup for your radiator?
April 11, 2007 12:49:06 PM

my CPU temperature right now is around 41C and thats with just running world of warcraft... And no it does not have the fan add on.
April 12, 2007 3:56:12 AM

Quote:
my CPU temperature right now is around 41C and thats with just running world of warcraft... And no it does not have the fan add on.

Try something like dual prime then report those load temps.
April 13, 2007 9:10:03 AM

It's damn near impossible to get an AMD K8 much past 3.3GHz no matter how powerful the cooling. The limit is in the design of the processor itself. I'm not entirely sure but I believe it has to do with excessive electron migration and current leakage from the gates, JumpingJack would be the best person to ask about this.
April 16, 2007 2:10:10 AM

TECs are actually not efficient at all. air cooled TEC shouldn't even be considered as they are outperformed by high end air cooling. liquid cooled TECs are costly (both short term and long term) and do not deliver very good results for the price.

if you want to stay above ambient temperatures, stick with water cooling. if you want to go below ambient, go with phase change
April 22, 2007 5:51:44 AM

Eh, that TEC is a POS. A couple of these, a decent water block like the Apogee GTX, a few PA120.3's with fans to match, and a good DC pump will blow that TEC out of the water, and cost about the same.
April 22, 2007 6:15:35 AM

Quote:
Eh, that TEC is a POS. A couple of these, a decent water block like the Apogee GTX, a few PA120.3's with fans to match, and a good DC pump will blow that TEC out of the water, and cost about the same.

That won't work.

The Apogee GTX base is only 50.5mm and the TEC is 60mm, you are leaving 10mm uncooled and it will fry that way. The only known 60mm^2 base WC block is the Artic Web cooler which you can't even buy right now because they are out of stock. 226w peltier is as good as you can go on a Apogee GTX block (or any other common WC block).

You need 2 2x120mm rads and a strong pump to cool a 437 TEC. Furthermore, the condensation becomes a huge problem, so I am not sure if I can really recommend it to the OP. True TEC setups require alot of effort. The 437w TEC will require a separate 600w PSU from meanwell just to power the damn thing. Yes, your temps will rock but one slip up at install will fry at least your mobo and likely your proc too.

Air TEC's blow, just as a general comment.
April 22, 2007 6:37:35 AM

I wasnt talking about cooling the TEC with the water system, but the exact opposite, cool the water (well, anti-freeze) with the TEC. That's what that Armageddon system did (You know, in the " Overindulge Yourself with QX6800" article).

Cooling the TEC's would be a problem though, the best self contained solution I can think of would be to add the hot side of the TEC's in the water cooling loop, but as the last few things, so when water hits the cpu, gpu, ect, it will still be sub-ambient. The loop might not be able to handle multiple, 400+ watt TECs though... 1 might be the max you could use, or multiple, low power TECs to help cool the powerful TEC cooling loop.

Anyway, yeah, it would be hard to do, and you would have to insulate everything as if your using phase or LN2/dice, but it IS possible, it would cost around as much as the Freezone cooler (minus the extra psu needed), and perform better.
April 22, 2007 7:06:02 AM

So i'm considering this TEC method of cooling. I noticed the 227w unit pulls at 15.2v@24A (like 67.2% efficient); my question is can these plates be undervolted to like 6v? And if so I have a TT Spark 7+, will this keep the plate cool enough to operate? THX
April 22, 2007 7:10:36 AM

Quote:
So i'm considering this TEC method of cooling. I noticed the 227w unit pulls at 15.2v@24A (like 67.2% efficient); my question is can these plates be undervolted to like 6v? And if so I have a TT Spark 7+, will this keep the plate cool enough to operate? THX

Oh you can... just the cooling will absolutely blow.
April 22, 2007 7:16:07 AM

Quote:

That's fine I am just running a P4B-2@3GHz right now anyways; so it'll be a test.
April 22, 2007 8:02:12 AM

Quote:

That's fine I am just running a P4B-2@3GHz right now anyways; so it'll be a test.

No, like really, really, really, blow. Unless your planning on cooling a cpu with a TDP of about 30w.
April 22, 2007 8:15:54 AM

Quote:

It'd perform about as well as a passive heatsink made of wood.

Bad idea. Very bad.

Stock Intel Cooler > 6v TEC w/Air
!