EXTREME FAILURE..... I NEED HELP PLEASE... ONLY STRONG TECHS

jnl082603

Distinguished
Apr 9, 2007
Ok , Just wanted to say hello, Im new to this forum and my name is Josh!!! I have been trying to get into World of Warcraft and it striked my interest into starting a massive computer build!!!! Well i order me a alienware clone case off ebay with 500w psu! I order me the ATI CROSSFIRE 200 by. SAPHIRE DUAL GPU, I bought 1 gig of ram off ebay for 60 bucks, an ATHLON 64+ cpu and heatsink/fan and the ATI RADEON 1300/PCI (not express 16 ) When i first started the Computer up with the simple components to get into bios, I started getting a graphics card code beep and i played with the jumpers a bit for a few days but NOTHING, Still my moniter just says no signal! So i took the graphics card back and got another one, and still the same problem! so i toy with it for about 3 more days and decide i got sent bad ram, so i went to circuit city and got the kingston 1 gig ram that was $160 bucks and came back home and installed it!! Well now i get the 1 good start up beep and thats it, still no signal!!! Ive tried the gpu in several dif slots, ive played with the jumpers, ive replaced both ram and gpu, i even have taken out the mother board and put cardboard under it to make sure it wasnt shorting out! Ive checked all of my connections! My keyboard and mouse and all is coming on! since the mobo is new and all it didnt have any on board video so there none to disable! Do any of you guys have any suggestions as to what i should do now?

1 other thing, the mobo is an ATI Crossfire dual gpu, so in that case it has 2 pci16 slots, do i HAVE to have 2 pci16 cards in this to work? because i have even borrowed a friends 1300 pro and tried it in the master pci16 slot with a termination card in the slave! but now im to no pci 16 card but however i do have the 1300 in the pci

Pleaseeeeee i need help so bad! I have over a grand invested in this project and all i got is a damn really really big paperweight!

proof

Distinguished
Oct 16, 2006
No, you don't need two video cards. The board will ACCEPT two video cards but it is not required. Here are a few things to try:

1) Reset your CMOS
2) Try it now
3) Replace CMOS battery
4 Try it now
5) Buy a new proc
6) Try it now

You may very well have a dead processor. What happens when you turn it on? Do you hear any beeps?

P.S.
I have built more expensive paper weights than that... 8)

jnl082603

Distinguished
Apr 9, 2007
1) Reset your CMOS (Already Did it over 5 times)
2) Try it now
3) Replace CMOS battery (Replaced it with 3 dif ones outa 3 dif COmps!)
4 Try it now
5) Buy a new proc ( What type of 939 would you recommend?)
6) Try it now

Thanks for the suggestions but No luck with any of it! Although i havent bought a new processor!

Before i replaced the ram it would give me 1 long beep then 1 short one! Now it gives me just 1 simple short beep and if it does this... wouldnt it comfirm that bios is working correctly also meaning the cpu is working corectly?

Hi, Josh, I'll try to help you. I guess I'm a pretty strong tech as I put up 250 on the bench about a month ago :D

First, buying parts from eBay is sketchy at best, especially CPUs and RAM as people tend to OC them, burn them up, and then sell them on eBay to an unwitting buyer. But you got new, good RAM so that should fix the problem.

1 other thing, the mobo is an ATI Crossfire dual gpu, so in that case it has 2 pci16 slots, do i HAVE to have 2 pci16 cards in this to work? because i have even borrowed a friends 1300 pro and tried it in the master pci16 slot with a termination card in the slave! but now im to no pci 16 card but however i do have the 1300 in the pci.

I have an abit KN8-SLi and it will not do more than beep unless a PCIe x16 card or the shadow card is in the bottom slot. I've not tried to boot it without a PCIe GPU in it, so you're on your own on that one with the PCI card. But you should be fine with an x1300 Pro PCIe x16 in the master slot and the termination card in the slave. I'd remove the PCI card when I did that though.

You said you were messing with jumpers...find the motherboard manual and reset them to the default settings.

If the x1300 Pro PCIe x16 and terminator card combo does not work with the PCI card out and jumpers back at defaults, you will need to check and see if each individual one of your parts works. Your RAM is probably fine, but check it anyway. Pull your CPU and test it in a buddy's computer, making sure to clean the thermal paste off completely (use Goof-Off) then reapply when it is in the friend's computer and then do this again when you reinstall it in yours if the CPU works. Your PSU isn't likely the best, swap in a known good one. Same with motherboard. You'll find your culprit somewhere.

jnl082603

Distinguished
Apr 9, 2007
Thanks for the help, i guess that will be my next move! prolly be a week or so before i can replace it! But thanks for the info, What is your opinion on maybe the mobo being faulty? and whats your opinion in general on that motherboard?

xaat_kil

Distinguished
Jan 24, 2007
Have you tried a different PSU? An "Alienware clone" doesn't sound very promising, though I could be wrong. What does the PSU say for make, and output? Crappy power can make for an awfully flaky system. I have bought cheap cases before, but I'll usually just put a real PSU in and keep the cheap crap for cheap people or an integrated low power job(yes, a real PSU is money, but makes for a more reliable machine). I prefer to eliminate that potential weak spot first before I start replacing other name brand stuff.

jnl082603

Distinguished
Apr 9, 2007
well its not an alienware clone, it just looks like one! ive acutually tried this psu in question on my other computers and it starts them up just fine, and ive taken my other computers psu's and put them in the system in question and still the same thing! Its an ATX case and it says that on the psu along with 500 watts