Help computer dying lol

cory1234

Distinguished
Dec 26, 2005
When i turn my computer on the cpu usage goes up to 100% and wont come off..i ran Macfee Virus Scan and AVG. Then i ran Security Task Manager.. Services.exe takes as much cpu as it can and wont go down below 80% of my cpu which is a 3400+ with 1 gig of ram and a 6600. I know my computer shouldnt be running this slow. Someone please help.. Would formatting my harddrive fix anything and how would i get a reinstall disc for xp b/c my computer is a compaq and is gay and didnt come with one. So anyone with info on what i should do and how hard is it to format my harddrive and get everything running again. Thanks

Glow80

Distinguished
Feb 21, 2007
Do you have a lot of applications that start when windows starts? It might be worth getting something like startup inspector(free) to manually prevent all but the essentials from loading at startup. Then you can manually reintroduce apps at startup, to find what it is that's tying up your cpu.

As for a reinstall, sometimes it's the only solution. Do you have the compaq system recovery disks? They will allow you to restore your system to its original state.

Hope this helps you out a little!

cory1234

Distinguished
Dec 26, 2005
i have a startup inspector. Ive fixed it somewhat now it doesnt use 100% all the time but it still runs really slow when i click on anything. And the only thing that starts up with my computer is anti-virus software. I dont know if i have those compaq discs.. do all compaqs come with them? Id rather get a clean windows XP w/o all of compaqs useless crap on it.

G

Some Compaqs have a recovery partition. Try hitting F10 when you see the Compaq BIOS splash screen.

Grumpy

LVDAX

Distinguished
Jan 20, 2007
Just a warning that by using the compaq recovery partition be prepared to reinstall all of your programs... This is a last ditch fix.

I would personally try this first....

to do so click on start
run
type msconfig
this will bring up the sys config utility
go to "startup" and remove anything that you do not recognize(leave igfxtray).

you can also go to the "Services" and deselect any services you don't recognize (Be careful and don't deselect\remove any Microsoft services)

click ok
reboot

Best of luck