VGA can kill the motherboard? (yes, and TWO!!)

felipe_zanon

Distinguished
Apr 9, 2007
Hello guys,

This is my first post here, and its for a serious reason.
Last night i was playing my favourite racing game (rFactor) when suddenly the PC freezed. That was wierd because the temperatures were very low and it never happened before. So, i restarted the PC and unfortunately it did not POST and no BEEPs at all. Then i started to disassembly the PC to find out the problem.
First of all i removed all the components leaving just PSU, CPU and MOBO. Got no POST and no BEEPs... I measured the voltages on the ATX connector and they were all OK (+5V, +3V3, +12V). It seemed that something is wrong with CPU/MOBO...
Second, i decided to test the memory modules and VGA on my mother's PC. I sticked the both 512Mb RAM and it was all OK. So, i installed my AGP 128Mb Radeon 9800PRO and after the power up the system did not POST and i noticed that there were "burning" smell coming from inside the PC. I turned it off immediatly and started to touch some parts with my finger... I realized that the sout bridge of MOBO was just frying!! After that i was stupid enough to power up the PC again and then the PSU blew up! 8O

Conclusion: the VGA was "bad" and killed my PC and after my mom's PC too? This is possible?!

Its late of night and im very disapointed.. :evil:

I know that the mess is done, but can anyone helps me to evaluate the damages?

Thanks!

prong

Distinguished
Apr 1, 2007
Hello guys,

This is my first post here, and its for a serious reason.
Last night i was playing my favourite racing game (rFactor) when suddenly the PC freezed. That was wierd because the temperatures were very low and it never happened before. So, i restarted the PC and unfortunately it did not POST and no BEEPs at all. Then i started to disassembly the PC to find out the problem.
First of all i removed all the components leaving just PSU, CPU and MOBO. Got no POST and no BEEPs... I measured the voltages on the ATX connector and they were all OK (+5V, +3V3, +12V). It seemed that something is wrong with CPU/MOBO...
Second, i decided to test the memory modules and VGA on my mother's PC. I sticked the both 512Mb RAM and it was all OK. So, i installed my AGP 128Mb Radeon 9800PRO and after the power up the system did not POST and i noticed that there were "burning" smell coming from inside the PC. I turned it off immediatly and started to touch some parts with my finger... I realized that the sout bridge of MOBO was just frying!! After that i was stupid enough to power up the PC again and then the PSU blew up! 8O

Conclusion: the VGA was "bad" and killed my PC and after my mom's PC too? This is possible?!

Its late of night and im very disapointed.. :evil:

I know that the mess is done, but can anyone helps me to evaluate the damages?

Thanks!

Start by finding the online contact information for all the manufacturers of your damaged parts. One by one send email requests for RMA (return merchandise authorization) to each manufacturer of your individual components. Follow the manufacturer instructions for returning all your damaged parts under warranty. Google is your friend.

felipe_zanon

Distinguished
Apr 9, 2007
Hmmm... All the hardware that got damaged was out of the warranty...

What i want to know is if anybody here have seen something like this! How can a VGA kill the motherboard???

TRENDING THREADS