Not enough SATA Ports

proof

Distinguished
Oct 16, 2006
I had been trying to install Window$ on my new SCSI for like an hour. I would put the CD in and it would spin and make whiring noises like it's supposed to. But nothing would happen. I set it to first boot device etc. Then I realized that it is a SATA DVD-R/RW burner and I only have 6 SATA ports and had neglected to plug my optical drive in because of this. What the hell should I do? Most of my HDDs are RAIDed (with no parity currently) and I need one more SATA port. How should I get it?

senor_bob

Distinguished
Mar 23, 2007
this?

Sata Spliter

not sure, so don't blame me. but for 3 dollars is it worth a shot?
That's for getting SATA power connections from older power supplies. The OP's looking for an additional SATA data connection. I would try a PCI controller like neo_weapon suggested, although I have no experience with them to know which one is the best.

skyguy

Distinguished
Aug 14, 2006
Buy an IDE optical for $30 and call it a day ;)

You're gonna spend more time and money trying to convert or whatever than if you just get an IDE. Seriously.

And if you're absolutely hellbent on using the SATA optical, then get a SATA-to-USB cable, or a SATA-to-IDE cable. But that'll cost you more than the drive is worth.

dj_taboo

Distinguished
Mar 15, 2007
wOW...! 8O
I didn't see that one coming. I saw the build list and the post about your cpu coming in. I was actually pretty interested to see how this build turned out. So sorry you got SATA happy and used all the ports :( . IDE disk drive seems the way to go now.

if you are out of ports and pci/pci-e slots, then its time for IDE...

If you have a pci-e slot you can get a sata card for that.

Do note there is NO performance increase from sata 99% of the time and for a ODD its super overkill. It is a nice small cable tho.

As a last long shot. You can run the CD drive on USB or firewire(as long as u have a spare internal header) with a bridge. There should be little noticeable performance diference

dj_taboo

Distinguished
Mar 15, 2007
Everyone is going SATA and USB crazy these days. :?
Praise the techies for inventing them. I'd hate to have 6 IDE/PATA ports on my mobo. Or all the legacy ports on my i/o. (lots of people still use these though) It'd be interesting to have a mobo thats legacy-free. Everything would be almost plug and play.
No vga, no COM, no ps2, no serial, no IDE, no floppy ribbon(well keep this one for RAID drivers).
Replaced with HDMI, USB, SATA...well thats about all it takes now.
I only use my IDE for my DVD drive, but for a second drive i'm going for SATA. (hey proof, i'll trade you haha) :lol:

But talk about dated ports, i have a socket 939. It makes me happy though. :)