PCI-E Stuck on 8x

hulio

Distinguished
Apr 9, 2007
Have a problem with some new hardware, this is my 1st system using PCI-E and I'm baffled here. I recently bought an Epox 9NPA3-SLI along with a EVGA 7300gt card. All seems to be running fine until i noticed in control panel it says card is running at 8x so i checked sandra and it said it was running at 8x, so i checked all my manuals and specs. both card and mobo support 16x with only 1 card running. I flashed bios I tried diffrent drivers. Both graphix and nforce chipset drivers. I'm just looking to get my equip. performaning at the level it should. I mean its comparable to buying car with a supposed 8 cyclinder engine only to find out its only a 4 banger. Plz help appreciated in advance.

Epox 9NPA3-SLI
AMD 3800+ X2
2 Gig Pc 3200 Dual Channel Kingston

And a PCI-E Headache

hulio

Distinguished
Apr 9, 2007
while I appreciate ur advice, I'm not one 2 pay for something not be able to get what i paid for and then roll over and say no big deal.. what kind of world would we live in if ppl gave up that easy... and u know what else? I play some old microsoft games like mtm2 where ur video is ur life, anyways guess I'll go look elsewhere for help... Dont worry about it LOL would u buy a Dodge Viper that only goes 50 MPH.. no didnt think so. so when ur system is on the fritz just remember hey dont worry about it.. do you think you will be satisfied with "dont worry about it when its ur comp..?

IcY18

Distinguished
May 1, 2006
Lol, Well all he is saying that you bought a car that can only go 70mph and your complaining that the speed limit is 100mph!

hulio

Distinguished
Apr 9, 2007
listen icy18 u asshole i'm getting pissed now i came 2 this forum for help not to be told i'm crying, AND THE BOTTOM LINE IS ITS MY SYSTEM I PAID FOR IT AND IT SHOULD DO WHAT THE SPECS SAY... NO? UR AN IDIOT AND IF U ARE THE KINDA PERSON THAT ROLLS OVER THAT EASY THEN UR A LAME EXCUSE OF A HUMAN BEING. NOW DONT TELL ME YOU WOULDNT BE ASKING FOR HELP IF IT WAS YOUR COMPUTER AND LASTLY FOR ALL THOSE WHO DIDNT REPLY WITH SHIT. I'M SORRY FOR FLAMING, CAPS, AND SWEARING, BUT THIS IS ABSOULTELY ABSURD. I CANT AFFORD A 8800 LIKE SOME OF U PRIX AND I WANT BEST OUTTA WHAT I HAVE. ICY18 IF YOU AINT GOT NO HELP AND U GONNA SAY I'M CRYIN( WHICH I DONT UNDERSTAND BECAUSE I PAID FOR SOMETHING AND I WANT IT 2 WORK LIKE IT SHOULD) THEN DO US A FAVOUR AND STFU... LIKE I SAID 2 OTHER GUY U WOULD BE BITCHING 2 IF IT WAS UR SYSTEM. BOTTOM LINE I CAME HERE FOR HELP NOW IF U JUST GONNA SAY QUIT BITCHING THE F**K OFF, BETTER YET U GO DROP 100 BUX, I LIVE IN CANADA SO ITS MORE EXPENSIVE HERE THAN USA, AND THEN NOT BE SATISFIED, AND ON TOP HAVE SOME LIL PRICK TELL ME QUIT WHINIHN, BUDDY UR LUCKY I CANT SEE U RIGHT NOW I'D BREAK UR NOSE, 1ST FORUM I'VE BEEN IN WHERE PPL TOLD ME DONT FUCKEN WORRY, INSTEAD OF OFFERING SUGGESTIONS, U GUYS MAKE ME SICK. IF U GOT NO HELP DONT POST. THAT SO HARD 2 UNDERSTAND? O YEA I'M IN A FORUM WHERE MOST EVERY1 HERE THINKS THEIR WAY IS ONLY WAY AND PISS ON EVERY1 ELSE.

thelostchild

Distinguished
Aug 18, 2006
What are you using the card for? If you are just using for a home theater build, then I wouldn't worry about it, because I agree with mpilchfamily that the 7300gt won't make use of the bandwidth anyways and for a home theater pc, all you need is something to display the image, because I hope you aren't trying to play games on it

lol then I probably shouldn't still be playing games with my Geforce MX 4000, woops =P

hulio

Distinguished
Apr 9, 2007
yes i use this cpu only for games i use my other with a radeon 9800se for movies, and why is it that i shouldnt use a 512 ddr2 7300gt to play games? my last card was the 9800se, the geforce is a huge step up for me.. or once again am i stuck in a place where every1 thinks u need 2 drop 500 bux every 3 months. so please explain to me in detail wtf is wrng with this card. because i'm only getting more frustrated here. i asked for help and i'm ebing redirected in other ways. so far no1 has heeded the subject line which was PCI-E stuck on 8x.... it WAS NOT PCI-E okay to run on 8x. i'll say 1 more time if u cant offer a valid explaination with something 2 back it up other than a personal opinion plz dont even bother responding... AND FOR THE LAST TIME I WILL SAY. I'M LOOKING FOR HELP NOT IT DOESNT MATTER OR U GOT A GARBAGE CARD.. OPINIONS ARE LIKE A$$HOLES EVERY1 HAS 1 AND I'M ASKING FOR HELP NOT 2 BE SHIT ON

lllco2lll

Distinguished
Mar 28, 2007
I'm gonna come out and say what everyone is thinking. Your a complete idiot.

lmao i'd have to agree

I mean come on you're rudely asking for help, least you could do is laugh with us and agree that you bought a kia expecting a mercedes (yeah sorry for another car analogy)

if you're really low on money you should really do your research on cards.

heres a good site for card comparisons.

http://www.gpureview.com/show_cards.php?card1=202&card2=431

-edit-

p.s. you whine like a baby

hulio

Distinguished
Apr 9, 2007
u go ahead and say i'm an idiot but bottom line is i just found out my mobo is defective, games freezing etc. put my card in my neighbors pc and bang 16x so bottom line whos the idiot? u dickheads o yea no problem... that is called assumption u all assumed u each new the best course without even looking closely... so jump 2 the end result, all u know whats best right? u dix dont even have a clue man. faulty mobo here and all i was told was ur card is 2 small.... THNX 4 the help guys... nice problems solving skills, bunch of forum bunnies here, balding losers that spend more time in forum than with actual human beings or else this woulda been a helpful discussion. i guess i'm the idiot for having a 2 day old system and scrutinizing it to make sure its good rather than settle with it.. lol u read my last sentence and u tell me whos the idiot, no repsonse no ?'s.... just ur card is garbage.. nice work boys... FAULTY MOBO found prob myself and got really angry dealing with bunch of stuck up, my rig is better than urs, dont buy that its garbage, computer losers, that wouldnt take 5 mins to look at problem, to u guys i bought shit and am an idiot. BUT IN THE END IT WAS FAULTY HARDWARE NOW 16X OR 8X SET ASIDE WOULD ANY OF YOU WANNA RUN FAULTY HARDWARE? YEA THATS RIGHT, so real idiots here are those who jump to conclusions and dont give it that extra 50% go find another hobby u insociable prix. LOL dont worry about it just keep on using a faulty mobo that can still be exchanged lol. this brings such a smile to my face(CLOWNS)

lllco2lll

Distinguished
Mar 28, 2007
u go ahead and say i'm an idiot but bottom line is i just found out my mobo is defective, games freezing etc. put my card in my neighbors pc and bang 16x so bottom line whos the idiot? u dickheads o yea no problem... that is called assumption u all assumed u each new the best course without even looking closely... so jump 2 the end result, all u know whats best right? u dix dont even have a clue man. faulty mobo here and all i was told was ur card is 2 small.... THNX 4 the help guys... nice problems solving skills, bunch of forum bunnies here, balding losers that spend more time in forum than with actual human beings or else this woulda been a helpful discussion. i guess i'm the idiot for having a 2 day old system and scrutinizing it to make sure its good rather than settle with it.. lol u read my last sentence and u tell me whos the idiot, no repsonse no ?'s.... just ur card is garbage.. nice work boys... FAULTY MOBO found prob myself and got really angry dealing with bunch of stuck up, my rig is better than urs, dont buy that its garbage, computer losers, that wouldnt take 5 mins to look at problem, to u guys i bought **** and am an idiot. BUT IN THE END IT WAS FAULTY HARDWARE NOW 16X OR 8X SET ASIDE WOULD ANY OF YOU WANNA RUN FAULTY HARDWARE? YEA THATS RIGHT, so real idiots here are those who jump to conclusions and dont give it that extra 50% go find another hobby u insociable prix. LOL dont worry about it just keep on using a faulty mobo that can still be exchanged lol. this brings such a smile to my face(CLOWNS)

lmao i love this guy..... brilliant

its rare to have people like him... we should all applaud

Wolfshadw

Titan
Hmmm.. You must have missed the reply above that states your motherboard will run each PCI-E VGA slot at x8 (regardless of single or dual cards). Nothing wrong with your card. Nothing wrong with your motherboard. Working as designed.

-Wolf sends

hulio

Distinguished
Apr 9, 2007
not gonna joke with ppl that attacked me first when i asked for help, ORANGEGATOR, thnx man i did search google and didnt find that. but in my manual it says 2 pci-e x16 connectors.. thats what lead me 2 believe i was having problems, and i did search google for 3 1/2 hours i dont do hardware i do software. Now thnx 2 gator helping and rest of who chose to say who cares without even looking for a solution, why should i be decent, have u not ever been at ur wits end just need a lil help, and some1 walks by says dont worry bout it and u snap back? yea were all human, so u can all keep bashing me or u can all start 2 admit that u've all had ur days 2, upside no faulty mobo just shitty advertising on tigerdirect.ca led me to believe something else.. thnx again for 2-3 ppl that took the time and helped. rest o ya FRICK OFF I GOT WORK 2 DO

lllco2lll

Distinguished
Mar 28, 2007
not gonna joke with ppl that attacked me first when i asked for help, ORANGEGATOR, thnx man i did search google and didnt find that. but in my manual it says 2 pci-e x16 connectors.. thats what lead me 2 believe i was having problems, and i did search google for 3 1/2 hours i dont do hardware i do software. Now thnx 2 gator helping and rest of who chose to say who cares without even looking for a solution, why should i be decent, have u not ever been at ur wits end just need a lil help, and some1 walks by says dont worry bout it and u snap back? yea were all human, so u can all keep bashing me or u can all start 2 admit that u've all had ur days 2, upside no faulty mobo just shitty advertising on tigerdirect.ca led me to believe something else.. thnx again for 2-3 ppl that took the time and helped. rest o ya FRICK OFF I GOT WORK 2 DO
going off topic:

i'm sorry you feel that way, but you're expecting service from individuals that aren't getting paid to help you. It's like going to a library and asking people to help you on your term paper.
Now if the company you bought it from talked to you in this manner then I'd be more understandable.

Dr_asik

Distinguished
Mar 8, 2006
u go ahead and say i'm an idiot but bottom line is i just found out my mobo is defective, games freezing etc. put my card in my neighbors pc and bang 16x so bottom line whos the idiot?
You, because your card being limited to 8X in your motherboard has nothing to do with the mobo being defective, it is the normal limit of your motherboard. Bottom line is, you bought a PCI-Express 8X motherboard and you come complaining that it cannot run at 16X although it does not support that speed and anyway that bandwidth would change nothing in performance so it's not like you were losing any even hypothetical performance.

orangegator

Distinguished
Mar 30, 2007

I don't want to kick someone when they're down (though some deserve it) and I do appreciate the thanks, I'll say this.
It took me all of 5 seconds to type "Epox 9NPA3-SLI" into google and find the answer. The link was the FIRST search result. Soooo, anyone who's trying to talk some sense or whatever into this guy, keep this in mind.

3.5h search = nothing
5sec search = answer

Dr_asik

Distinguished
Mar 8, 2006
Yes from 1X to 16X there will be a difference because the card is certainly bottlenecked at 1X. But if 8X is already enough bandwidth, which is the case for the 7300GT, then there's really nothing to gain from additionnal bandwidth. Although I think your 4% is still plausible, in some situations.

lllco2lll

Distinguished
Mar 28, 2007
I agree with most of that, the thing I disagree with though is that bandwidth does make a difference, but not that much. My friend with a 7900gs had his stuck at x1 for some reason. After a bios flash he got it up to x16, but his performance barely doubled, it didn't go up 16 times like that fool hulio keeps thinking. So if a card that is 5 times as powerful (at least, probably more like 6) only got a 45% overall gain (percentage of final performance), then you could barely expect an 8% gain from x1 to x16 on the 7300gt, with that in mind, you'd be getting roughly a 4% gain on the 7300gt, so since that card isn't that powerful, that ends up with that fool getting all worked up about for 1 fps in tetris. Part that bothers me isn't that he keeps trying to prove me wrong, but his attitude, I don't mind if some one tries to disagree in a polite and reasonable fashion, but him telling me to fcuk off is pushing it

hey don't worry i love tacos too ok we all love tacos

hulio

Distinguished
Apr 9, 2007
Well as I said before I am Human and I do snap back just like every else has done in their life, put yourself in my shoes and yes this is free help, Thunder u can say K By Thnx all u want man, now that i've gotten somewhere I'm all cooled off. You have no space in my head man, only thing that did was what i thought was a faulty mobo or g card. Not only can I admit I was a lil hot, I can also say I was outta line 2 some ppl I dont even know, With that i apologize. Really gottta say 2 buy a new system and 2 days later have some1 tell u that u got junk is tuff 2 take. especially when its all i can afford. Co2 ur last point was valid and I appreciate it 4 what it is.

lllco2lll

Distinguished
Mar 28, 2007
Well as I said before I am Human and I do snap back just like every else has done in their life, put yourself in my shoes and yes this is free help, Thunder u can say K By Thnx all u want man, now that i've gotten somewhere I'm all cooled off. You have no space in my head man, only thing that did was what i thought was a faulty mobo or g card. Not only can I admit I was a lil hot, I can also say I was outta line 2 some ppl I dont even know, With that i apologize. Really gottta say 2 buy a new system and 2 days later have some1 tell u that u got junk is tuff 2 take. especially when its all i can afford. Co2 ur last point was valid and I appreciate it 4 what it is.

awww man stop you're making me feel all cuddly inside its too gooey eww make it stop

hulio

Distinguished
Apr 9, 2007
Last post, as I didnt understand where you guys where coming from the same thing goes, for what i was talking about.as for the google search I was searching for pci-e stuck on 8x, which would explain why i couldnt find any answers. I have my mobo book here now brand new it says and I am typin this letter 4 letter 2 pci-e x 16 connectors compliant with pci-express. this lead me 2 believe there was a problem. I DONT CARE ABOUT THE SIZE MY CARD OR WHAT U GUYS THINK ABOUT IT. I was worried my mobo was focked, I'm not lookin to get 1000 fps on HL2 with this system lol I was concerned something was defective and being I have already apolgized, there is nothing left to say. I misunderstood what my mobo manual says and I did go to epox but only for a bios update as I didnt feel I need to look the spec sheet for my mobo up online, but once again those bastards who like 2 word things in such a way in which they can be misconstrued, really made a mess of my manual. in fact the site is easier to read get and retain than my manual. Tacos u can be a pissed of as you want man I didnt come here for a lesson in bandwidth and what perfomance %'s u gave me. I came here hoping it was a quick fix, which it was. Gator i appreciate ur help man but I'm no slouch like i said i have the manual why would i goto epox spec sheet. I did visit their troubleshooting to no avail... I dont know i guess if it was that simple and guys like Taco know so much why didnt any1 just say off the hop are u sure its 16x and not 8x I did say in 1st post this is complete new sys 2 me. Bottom line when I feel attacked I attack just like others. So call me stupid call me and Idiot call me whatever you want but in the end I GOT WHAT I WANTED, THE ANSWER TO MY PROBLEM! Shame though the means of getting it dont fit the end.

lllco2lll

Distinguished
Mar 28, 2007
Well, if you wanted to, you could have asked people to customize a build for you that fits within your budget (sorry to tell you this, but I actually think the 9800 is a better card, as the 9800pro is on 6600gt levels), as I do that for plenty of people

You're a good person, you just need to think a bit cooler at some times, and I know how annoying it is to spend money on something that's out dated, but there's really nothing you can do about that, at least you got a dual core cpu, which should help in multithreaded games. Perhaps getting 1gb of ram instead of two with a 7600gt would have been the smarter choice, but ohh well, live and learn (then you buy tacos :mrgreen: )

F*ckin taco guy man I love you