how to hook up to pc's to dsl?

knowsitall

Distinguished
Dec 19, 2006
hey i have my computer and another computer i am interested in hookin both up to my dsl service. right now i have one hooked up with a modem. both of my pc's have ethernet ports. do i have to buy another dsl modem and hook it up to my other pc so they will both have internet? what is the easiest less expensive way to get both these pc's up and running on the internet.

flow797

Distinguished
Jan 14, 2005
You need to buy a ROUTER not a hub but a ROUTER it's pretty much a ethernet splitter plug in the ethernet cable from your modem to the router and then one ethernet cable from the router to each computer, get a wireless one if you have to go some distance but you would also have to buy a wireless adapter for the other computer that is away from the router.

Also change your nickname this is a basic question and KnowsItAll doesn't suit you---dont mean to be a dick but you sound like your mocking everyone with the name

Iceblue

Distinguished
Sep 9, 2006
You need to buy a ROUTER
That would depend on the modem he has and how it is connected to his computer.

Some DSL modems connect via USB and do not have an ethernet connection. If that is what he has, a router won't do him any good. He'll need to use ICS and connect his second computer to his first.

Knowitall, you really shouldn't post the same question in multiple forums.

knowsitall

Distinguished
Dec 19, 2006
You need to buy a ROUTER not a hub but a ROUTER it's pretty much a ethernet splitter plug in the ethernet cable from your modem to the router and then one ethernet cable from the router to each computer, get a wireless one if you have to go some distance but you would also have to buy a wireless adapter for the other computer that is away from the router.

Also change your nickname this is a basic question and KnowsItAll doesn't suit you---dont mean to be a dick but you sound like your mocking everyone with the name

ok so say i bought this::
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16833124010

would this be what i need?? what do i use to bring the wireless signal from the router to the pc?? it doesnt come with any antenna things that i shove in the back of the pc. where can i get those?

Iceblue

Distinguished
Sep 9, 2006

would this be what i need?? what do i use to bring the wireless signal from the router to the pc?? it doesnt come with any antenna things that i shove in the back of the pc. where can i get those?Yes, that will work. You use the ethernet cable that came with your router to connect the WAN port on the router to the ethernet port on your modem.

If you want to connect wirelessly, you will need a wireless adapter for your PCs. For desktops, they come in two main varieties: external USB devices and internal PCI cards. Either will work fine; obviously the USB is easier to connect. Be aware, though, that the USB adapter will require a USB 2.0 port to operate at full 802.11g speeds. It will work with a USB 1.1 port, only slower.

That Linksys router you bought also has 4 ethernet ports on it, so you don't need to use the wireless option at all. So you can just connect your computers' ethernet ports to the ethernet LAN ports on the router and you should be good to go.

Follow the instructions that came with your router.

knowsitall

Distinguished
Dec 19, 2006

would this be what i need?? what do i use to bring the wireless signal from the router to the pc?? it doesnt come with any antenna things that i shove in the back of the pc. where can i get those?Yes, that will work. You use the ethernet cable that came with your router to connect the WAN port on the router to the ethernet port on your modem.

If you want to connect wirelessly, you will need a wireless adapter for your PCs. For desktops, they come in two main varieties: external USB devices and internal PCI cards. Either will work fine; obviously the USB is easier to connect. Be aware, though, that the USB adapter will require a USB 2.0 port to operate at full 802.11g speeds. It will work with a USB 1.1 port, only slower.

That Linksys router you bought also has 4 ethernet ports on it, so you don't need to use the wireless option at all. So you can just connect your computers' ethernet ports to the ethernet LAN ports on the router and you should be good to go.

Follow the instructions that came with your router.

ah ha.. thanks for the info. so i cna either go wireless or ethernet cable with that router? awsome!

Madwand

Distinguished
Mar 6, 2006
The Buffalo WHR-G54S or the Linksys WRT54GL would be somewhat better choices in general -- greater upgradablity through third-party firmware. The Buffalo is cheaper, and the GL is only $5 more after rebate.

Whatever you get, be sure to secure or disable the wireless, esp. if you're not using it.