Do I Need Service Pack 2 to Use my PCI-Express Video Card?

Steve911924

Distinguished
Jul 12, 2006
I have recently put my system together (AMD X2 4400, 2GB RAM, X1800XT) and I am unsure what to do about my Windows installation. I have WinXP Professional at the moment.

I have heard from several people on this forum that, infact, I do need Service Pack 2 in order for Windows to properly recognise my PCI-E video card. I have absolutely no idea, as my last video card was an AGP model, which has no issues. However I am a little scared about installing Windows when I am unsure about potential problems.

Any help would be most appreciated
Thankyou

sturm

Splendid
if your windows cd doesnt have sp2 on it, which i am assuming. then install windows and you will find out.
I would install sp2 no matter what anyways.
If you dont let me know your ip address. I know of some good trojans and viruses that will eat the crap out of pre sp2 computers.

Steve911924

Distinguished
Jul 12, 2006
Hehe thanks! I was not intending on using it anywhere near my internet connection, but I am very worried about losing my data though (I lost one of my philosophy assignments for uni last semester because of a virus) as well as 100% compatability with my new system, particularly the PCI-Express video card.

I think I will install the OS, then SP2. That way all should be well.

Thanks for your reply