AV Receiver speaker hookup question

Last response: in Home Theatre
Share
October 30, 2004 3:07:02 AM

Hi All: This may be simple question but I have a JVC RX-8030VBK receiver and
it has 2 sets of rear speaker hookups (Surround left and right - Surround
"Back" left & right). I have my back speakers connected to Surround Left &
right. I cannot run wires to set up surround back speakers. When I view some
HD channels the back speaker signal comes on and am not getting this sound.
Question: can I cross over these back speaker connections to the surround
speaker connections at the receiver to combine the two?
I know this will not be optimal but at least will get sound when back
channel is broadcast. Any damage possible to receiver?
Thanks, Ed
Anonymous
October 30, 2004 5:12:28 AM

You should have a diagram layout for placing the speakers in the room.
I looked this receiver up on google. Cnet shows it as a 6.1 system.
I would think that would be two stereo front speakers with a possible
added center speaker near the TV. The two surround speakers would go
near the center of the room . Looks like if it uses two rear
speakers.

A call or email to JVC would be your best bet for a accurate answer.

I doubt you can combine the rear sound output with any other working
or connected speakers without damage. I would think the JVC receiver
would have a rear speaker shutoff to allow those sounds to come
through the surround speakers.

Is it that you don't have any rear speakers to use or don't have
anywhere to put them.

hdtvfan

On Fri, 29 Oct 2004 23:07:02 -0400, "Ed" <ed@nospampleaseornot.com>
wrote:

>Hi All: This may be simple question but I have a JVC RX-8030VBK receiver and
>it has 2 sets of rear speaker hookups (Surround left and right - Surround
>"Back" left & right). I have my back speakers connected to Surround Left &
>right. I cannot run wires to set up surround back speakers. When I view some
>HD channels the back speaker signal comes on and am not getting this sound.
>Question: can I cross over these back speaker connections to the surround
>speaker connections at the receiver to combine the two?
>I know this will not be optimal but at least will get sound when back
>channel is broadcast. Any damage possible to receiver?
>Thanks, Ed

October 30, 2004 12:56:12 PM

Hi: Thanks, I dont have back speakers. I have (sub, center, front right,
front left, surround right & surround left) system has hookup for surround
back left and surround back right but I do not have these speakers or a way
of getting wires to back of room. I found if I set the system to ES/EX it
combines the signal for virtual 7.1 sound. Thanks again. Ed

"hdtvfan" <hdtvfan@echolink.com> wrote in message
> You should have a diagram layout for placing the speakers in the room.
> I looked this receiver up on google. Cnet shows it as a 6.1 system.
> I would think that would be two stereo front speakers with a possible
> added center speaker near the TV. The two surround speakers would go
> near the center of the room . Looks like if it uses two rear
> speakers.
>
> A call or email to JVC would be your best bet for a accurate answer.
>
> I doubt you can combine the rear sound output with any other working
> or connected speakers without damage. I would think the JVC receiver
> would have a rear speaker shutoff to allow those sounds to come
> through the surround speakers.
>
> Is it that you don't have any rear speakers to use or don't have
> anywhere to put them.
>
> hdtvfan
>
> On Fri, 29 Oct 2004 23:07:02 -0400, "Ed" <ed@nospampleaseornot.com>
> wrote:
>
>>Hi All: This may be simple question but I have a JVC RX-8030VBK receiver
>>and
>>it has 2 sets of rear speaker hookups (Surround left and right - Surround
>>"Back" left & right). I have my back speakers connected to Surround Left &
>>right. I cannot run wires to set up surround back speakers. When I view
>>some
>>HD channels the back speaker signal comes on and am not getting this
>>sound.
>>Question: can I cross over these back speaker connections to the surround
>>speaker connections at the receiver to combine the two?
>>I know this will not be optimal but at least will get sound when back
>>channel is broadcast. Any damage possible to receiver?
>>Thanks, Ed

October 30, 2004 6:34:40 PM

>>>Question: can I cross over these back speaker connections to the surround
>>>speaker connections at the receiver to combine the two?
>>>I know this will not be optimal but at least will get sound when back
>>>channel is broadcast. Any damage possible to receiver?
>>>Thanks, Ed

Let me see if I have this correctly. Since you don not have any rear speakers
you have connected rear left and right speakers outs from your receiver the
front speakers? What you need to do is tell your receiver that you no rear
speakers and the receiver will the automatically send left rear and right rear
signals to the front left and front right speakers. Anything else would
degrade the sound I would suspect.
Anonymous
October 30, 2004 7:51:44 PM

Ed wrote:
> Hi All: This may be simple question but I have a JVC RX-8030VBK
> receiver and it has 2 sets of rear speaker hookups (Surround left and
> right - Surround "Back" left & right). I have my back speakers
> connected to Surround Left & right. I cannot run wires to set up
> surround back speakers. When I view some HD channels the back speaker
> signal comes on and am not getting this sound. Question: can I cross
> over these back speaker connections to the surround speaker
> connections at the receiver to combine the two? I know this will not be
> optimal but at least will get sound when back
> channel is broadcast. Any damage possible to receiver?
> Thanks, Ed

Can't you set it up to only output 5.1 instead of 6.1? In that way, you
should get everything....the manual should explain this.

I have a 7.1 Marantz that I use as a 5.1....the on screen programming makes
it easy to set up.
!