Bishop_45

Distinguished
Dec 24, 2006
Hi ppl; I have a sad prob., my CD/DVD burner is giving me a lot of trouble, and so is my CD/DVD reader; main problem is tht most of CD/DVD-s I imput cannot be read, it sayes theres no media inside, or finds it but when I try to browse trough CD/DVD it goes really slowly untill my computer freezes and I have to restart; second, but related prob (I think) is when I'm burning anything; it just stops in the middle and freezes, or doesnt even start properly, so I loose time, and any CD/DVD tht I tried to burn ! :( !!
I'm burning wit NERO btw; burners is Pioneer, and reader MSI !!!
And I have no idea what to do, plz help !!!

blue68f100

Distinguished
Dec 25, 2005
If it has problems reading purchased DVD's /CD's it could be your reader is failing. Also make sure you burner can read media OK.

If both on the same controller Check to see if the jumpers are set correctly. Disconnect 1 at a time and see if your problem clears. Try putting them on seperate IDE controllers.

If you have access to another burner or reader, give it a try to make sure you do not have a controller problem.

If you are multi-tasking stop and see if it clears up.

DVD burners are cheap these days. May want to move up to Lightscribe.

Bishop_45

Distinguished
Dec 24, 2006
thx very much Blue68F100 , al try some of tht stuff 2morrow, tough buying new burner wouldn't be so bd idea cuz this 1 is old for like 2 yrs, or even more :D !!!

Bishop_45

Distinguished
Dec 24, 2006
A no cost option is to clean the laser lens. See if that helps.

since I always welcome the no cost options; could u give me any kind of tutorial or sth like tht on 'how to clear laser lens' !??
plz !!!
thx !!!

piratepast40

Distinguished
Nov 8, 2006
You can buy a "cleaning kit" at Radio Shack, K-Mart, and other retailers. Some I've seen are a disk that either cleans with a dry cloth or some cleaning fluid supplied in the kit. You can also try a q-tip with isopropyl alcohol. It all depends on where the laser is located and if you can get to it. Open the drive and use a flashlight to try to locate the lens. The whole idea is to remove dust and dirt that may be interfering with the lens. That may or may not be the problem but if you try to clean it with a q-tip, it doesn't cost you anything. If it works, then great, if not, you're not out anything and it only takes a few minutes at most. Here's a google link to drive cleaning: http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&q=cd+drive+cleaners You can pick out what you want to try.