install KNoppix on a 512mb usb??

bluntside

Distinguished
Mar 22, 2006
HOw can this be don fram windows xp?? I know the Knoppix has sum pretty nice features for netwoking analasys. I just need to know how to format my 512usb stick and managing to create a bootable usb os.
And links or step-by steps would help me out here alot. :twisted:

linux_0

Splendid
HOw can this be don fram windows xp?? I know the Knoppix has sum pretty nice features for netwoking analasys. I just need to know how to format my 512usb stick and managing to create a bootable usb os.
And links or step-by steps would help me out here alot. :twisted:

Knoppix is great but I recommend you use it from CD or DVD rather than USB.

Are you unable to use it from optical disk? Why do you want a USB distro?

Here's some USB Distros:

1. Damn Small Linux
Damn Small Linux is a business card size (50MB) Live CD Linux distribution. Despite its minuscule size it strives to have a functional and easy to use desktop. Damn Small Linux has a nearly complete desktop, including XMMS (MP3, and MPEG), FTP client, links-hacked web browser, spreadsheet, email, spellcheck (US English), a word-processor, three editors (Nedit, nVi, Zile [emacs clone]), Xpdf, Worker (file manager), Naim (AIM, ICQ, IRC), VNCviwer, SSH/SCP server and client, DHCP client, PPP, PPPoE, a web server, calculator, Fluxbox window manager, system monitoring apps, USB support, and soon it will have PCMCIA support as well. If you like Damn Small Linux you can install it on your hard drive. Because all the applications are small and light it makes a very good choice for older hardware.

2. Feather Linux
Feather Linux is a Linux distribution which runs completely off a CD or a USB pendrive and takes up under 128MB of space. It is a Knoppix remaster (based on Debian), and tries to include software which most people would use every day on their desktop.

3. Flash Linux
Flash Linux is a customised Linux distribution designed to be run directly off a USB key or other (similar) forms of bootable flash memory. It should work within the constraints of 256MB of (flash) memory although larger devices may also be used. Flash Linux is based on Gentoo Linux and new versions and bugfixes should track the stable Gentoo tree. Whereas Gentoo is a source distribution, Flash Linux is a binary-only distribution.

4. Flonix
Flonix USB Edition is a light-weight GNU/Linux operating system for personal computers, desktop-oriented. Flonix USB Edition run from USB key drives.

5. GentooTH Live CD/USB Linux
GentooTH Live CD/USB Linux is a Gentoo-based Russian/Ukrainian distribution designed to run from a CD or a USB storage device.

6. Knopperdisk
Knopperdisk is a Linux distribution designed for a USB pen drive. It is based on Gentoo Linux and contains various programs and utilities, such as network-related tools.

7. Puppy Linux
Yes, Puppy Linux is yet another Linux distribution. What's different here is that Puppy is extraordinarily small, yet quite full featured. Puppy boots into a 64MB ramdisk, and that's it, the whole caboodle runs in RAM. Unlike live CD distributions that have to keep pulling stuff off the CD, Puppy in its entirety loads into RAM. This means that all applications start in the blink of an eye and respond to user input instantly. Puppy Linux has the ability to boot off a flash card or any USB memory device, CDROM, Zip disk or LS/120/240 Superdisk, floppy disks, internal hard drive. It can even use a multisession formatted CD-R/DVD-R to save everything back to the CD/DVD with no hard drive required at all!

8. RUNT: ResNet USB Network Tester
RUNT (ResNet USB Network Tester) is Slackware Linux designed to run off of a 128MB USB pen drive. It consists of a boot floppy image and a zip file, similar to zipslack. It is intended to be a fairly complete Linux installation for use as a testing tool capable of booting on any x86 computer with a USB port and a bootable floppy drive. The boot floppy is based on Slackware's bare kernel. It contains an initial ramdisk to load USB-storage related modules and it pauses for 5 seconds to allow the drive to initialize. The bootdisk also contains Memtest86, a very useful RAM testing tool, which can be started by typing memtest at the boot prompt. The zip file contains a UMSDOS filesystem designed to be extracted onto a 128MB pen drive with an MSDOS filesystem using 2K clusters. RUNT was originally designed for use at North Carolina State University by the ResNet department. ResNet regularly provides support to students in University Housing using their personal computers on the NC State network. Although RUNT is intended for use on the NC State network, there is nothing peculiar to our network preventing RUNT from being a useful tool on any network.

9. SLAX - Live CD
SLAX - Live CD is a bootable CD containing a Linux operating system. It runs directly from CD-ROM without installing. The live CD described here is based on the Slackware Linux distribution and is downloadable from its website as an ISO image. All scripts and source code which can be used to build your own live CD are also available.

bluntside

Distinguished
Mar 22, 2006
why on cd rather than usb?? I got the stuff needed for a usb version of feather. But I will try it out and see how it works. The only problem I have is installing a bootable USB Knoppix on my XP pro. Do you think you can help me out?? :D

linux_0

Splendid
Normally you just have to untar the USB flash version onto a USB flash drive and follow the included instructions.

With an ISO all you have to do is burn it to a CD-R with ISORecorder or something similar.

http://www.kernel.org/pub/dist/knoppix/KNOPPIX_V5.0.1CD-2006-06-01-EN.iso

http://isorecorder.alexfeinman.com/download/ISORecorderV2RC1.msi

http://isorecorder.alexfeinman.com/HowTo.htm

http://forumz.tomshardware.com/software/memtest86-ISO-burning-HOWTO-ftopict230767.html

A live CD can be faster and more reliable. USB flash drives die after so many writes.