Wierd problem - Artifacting? Causes Blue Screen of Death

nevynev

Distinguished
Jun 30, 2006
I've had this problem for a while now - even before I upgraded to Vista (although it does occur more often now but I guess that is due to Vista using the GPU more heavily). Seemingly randomly I get these wierd markings all over my screen (I beleive its called artifacting??) after say at least 20 mins of PC being on up to anywhere like 4 hours. Sometimes they're only there for a little while and go other times they build and build until I can barely see anything on screen (especially when playing games or watching movies) and often results in the BlueScreenOfDeath (which is also artifacted). On restart the problem often doesn't go away (even the ATI bios boot screen is artifacted (but not DOS)). But if I leave it off for 5 mins then it wont happen for a while (an unkown lenghth). Some images of todays occurence (when just using dreamweaver etc, listening to music nothing heavy)...

1.JPG

2.JPG

3.JPG

Any ideas what the problem is and ultimately how to fix it?
I guess its the graphics card but it could be anything I suppsoe - possibly sound card?

Thanks for all help - this is driving me mad!
Specs - ATI X1800XT (crossfire mobo but only one card at the mo). Athlon X2 4400. 2 GB Ram. Vista Ultimate.

Thanks
NevyNev

Looks like either your graphics card is overheating, or you have a faulty/weak power supply. Since it happens after on for a while, I would say first thing found out how hot your GPU and whole system is running.
If not overheating, and power supply is working correctly and big enough to run your GPU, you could just have a faulty GPU.
This is exactly what an older less powerful graphics card I had did when the fan on the card's chipset stopped working.

BustedSony

Distinguished
Apr 24, 2006
I've had this problem for a while now - even before I upgraded to Vista (although it does occur more often now but I guess that is due to Vista using the GPU more heavily). Seemingly randomly I get these wierd markings all over my screen (I beleive its called artifacting??) after say at least 20 mins of PC being on up to anywhere like 4 hours.
1.JPG

2.JPG

3.JPG

Any ideas what the problem is and ultimately how to fix it?
I guess its the graphics card but it could be anything I suppsoe - possibly sound card?
Thanks
NevyNev

I've seen this several times over the years on various systems, including quite recently on my P3 editor, and it's always been defective system memory, ram. Depending upon the location of the bad bit it may affect graphics memory space more than program space, thus you get the artifacting rather than program crashes, but eventually the system WILL crash. Also the memory may only go bad once it's warmed up. If there are two sticks take one out at a time and see if the problem goes away. Also try running memtest.

And yes a bad graphics card will do this, try another card.

Occasionally it used to be a bad program overwriting other app's active memory, but this is rare nowadays. And that wouldn't affect the bios screen.

It won't be the power supply.

AKJ

Distinguished
Sep 15, 2006
Yep, first put a different GFX card in. Then test, maybe even run benchmarking utilities to stress your pc. If the problem still persists, then it could be your RAM...

AKJ

Distinguished
Sep 15, 2006
Yes, 3D mark and memtest are both good benchmarking/stress testing utilities, however, i dont think 3D mark is free though (could be wrong).

Please let us know what you find out hey! ;)

nevynev

Distinguished
Jun 30, 2006
OK

Changed wiring from power supply to graphics card (got a hiper type r so various options) and this seems to have generally cured it - no problems in normal usage at all. Have been playing STALKER for the last couple of days and only today - in one spot in the game (the Bar near the Arena if you know the game!) it artifacted then froze the system (now BlueScreenOfDeath though). Checked Temperatures upon rebooting - all normal (CPU 44 degrees, Mobo 54 (both found in bios), Graphics about 68 (as reported by catalyst)).

So does that narrow down what the problem might be?

Thanks
NevyNev

monst0r

Distinguished
Mar 31, 2007
first things first, what exactly is the bsod saying?? please take a picture if possible. next, check your gfx card temps during a heavy load (game or something). last, check the amps on +12v rails, check all connections, and has your card done this for the whole time you've owned it?

nevynev

Distinguished
Jun 30, 2006
"last, check the amps on +12v rails, check all connections"

How do I do these two?
No it only started after about 5 months - but as people say above it is not definately Gfx card...

Cheers
NevyNev

nevynev

Distinguished
Jun 30, 2006
Ran Memtest when computer was running normally and just after artifacting+BSOD+crash - both no errors reported.

Swapped out PSU for another one and gonna test that and see if it happens again!

NevyNev

monst0r

Distinguished
Mar 31, 2007
"last, check the amps on +12v rails, check all connections"

How do I do these two?
No it only started after about 5 months - but as people say above it is not definately Gfx card...

Cheers
NevyNev

look at the PSU, should have amperage ratings on it..or the box it came in :wink:

rammedstein

Distinguished
Jun 5, 2006
using ati tool run the scan for artifacts test and check your gpu temps, also, try drop you video ram speeds a bit along with your core a bit and see if the problem persists. remember, as frequency goes up, power and heat do too, so by slightly underclocking your card, if it is a psu problem, them more you underclock the better the situation will get, just do this as a test, not permanent though.

nevynev

Distinguished
Jun 30, 2006
Ran Mem test, put in my old power supply, problem still occurs (although much less regularly).
One thing I have noticed - when updating/installing Catalyst drivers all parts succeed except for "North Bridge Filter Driver" which always fails as "INF file could not be found" during installation - what is the North Bridge Filter Driver and would it be causing this problem?

Thanks
NevyNev

nevynev

Distinguished
Jun 30, 2006
OK managed to catch the BSOD messages via photographs before the system crashes:

Errors are most commonly:
1 - The device driver got stuck in an infinite loop. This usually indicates a problem with the device itself or the device driver programming the hardware incorrectly.

2 - IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL

3 - (occasionally) - Page fault in non paged file area.

If you need any more info please let me know - hope this pins down the problem!
NevyNev