Sign in with
Your question

Left click sometimes works

Last response: in Windows 7
July 26, 2011 2:27:14 AM

Sometimes my left click just randomly stops working. It happens on my portable and laptop. The right click will still work. It only happens when Im on the internet. If I close out of the net and go back on then the right click will work for a little bit then stop working again. Does anyone know whats going on?

More about : left click works

July 26, 2011 3:43:20 AM

Are you using IE7 or later versions? Have you recently installed some IE Plugins/toolbars? Are ou opening several tabs (more than 6-7) at the same time?
Normally, browsing graphics-intensive web pages results in hanging including the loss of functionability of right-click context menus system-wide because memory is not being released properly.
So try less tabs or check out your toolbars and plugins and see if it makes a difference!

m
l
July 27, 2011 11:20:13 PM

I have a Synaptic PS/2 Port Touch Pad on a HP Pavilion dv6-3132nr Entertainment Notebook. I also use a wireless notebook optical mouse 3000. Both mice react the same. The left click will just randomly stop working. The right click continues to function without any problems. It only happens when Im trying to click on links on the internet. I dont have any issues when Im not on the net. I have unistalled my mouse and reinstalled with no help. The ctrl+alt+shift doesnt do anything on my computer. I dont know what it could be. My wireless mouse works fine on a different computer.
m
l
Related resources
October 13, 2011 6:54:37 PM

I have the exact same problem with my mouse. I noticed it about a month ago while I was playing World of Warcraft and later that day I got a nvlddmkm.sys blue screen of death (something wrong with my video card that is causing it to lose connectivity). Ever since then I've had to disable my display driver in order to continue using my laptop. I'm not sure if both issues are related but I've tried all the possible fixes for the nvlddmkm.sys (Virus Scan/Update Driver/Rollback Driver/gain permission to delete old nvlddmkm.sys files in system32/Clean Registry/Disable UAC/Open and clean laptop/Remove Memory/Lower Temperature/etc...) to no avail. This is the first page I've googled that has the same mouse problem, left-click randomly stops working, mouse over shows that the program isn't unresponsive and right-click still functions properly. I have to Ctrl+Alt+Del and press Alt+T for Task Manager to use my left-click button again. It's incredibly puzzling seeing how both my Touch Pad and mouse malfunctions at the same time.

The kicker and reason why I mentioned my nvlddmkm.sys problem is because the problem doesn't seem to be present when my display driver is disabled. I've had no trouble for two weeks as I continue to use my laptop. Whenever I feel patient enough to troubleshoot my video card and enable my display driver I run into the same mouse problem.
m
l
January 24, 2013 9:01:07 PM

I have the same left-click issue! Cheapo mouse and the touchpad on my Dell XPS both intermittently have left-click issues, stops working or lags. This happens in Chrome and in AutoCAD, though in CAD if I ctrl+S to save the left-click starts working again. SelvinPen that is a great idea, it does seem like this happens when I am working the graphics card. I'm going to try updating some drivers. (Fiddling with the HID drivers did nothing)
m
l
a b $ Windows 7
January 24, 2013 11:15:23 PM

jmebluis said:
I have the same left-click issue! Cheapo mouse and the touchpad on my Dell XPS both intermittently have left-click issues, stops working or lags. This happens in Chrome and in AutoCAD, though in CAD if I ctrl+S to save the left-click starts working again. SelvinPen that is a great idea, it does seem like this happens when I am working the graphics card. I'm going to try updating some drivers. (Fiddling with the HID drivers did nothing)

First off,
When a thread has that much age on it, start a new one.

As for the left-click issue, download GPU-Z, found HERE , and see if you notice a temp spike when you lose left-click functionality. You may also want to try reloading the Synaptics Touchpad driver for Windows and see if that helps.

I would recommend running either MalwareBytes Anti-Malware or Super Anti-Spyware or even both just to make sure there is nothing foreign causing the issue behind the scenes.

You can also do a clean boot, instructions found HERE , and see if the issue continues.
m
l
!