Kaze

Distinguished
Aug 3, 2006
Hi!

I'm goin' to run RAID 0 on my new computer that I've bought recently, but I'm having some weird problem while formatting the RAID.

Whenever I try to install WinXP Pro SP2 the system won't format the RAID drive.. I've done anything that requires (enable RAID function 'n S-ATA function) 'n made a RAID array but still no luck.

The process goes like this:

Everything works fine I spam F6 when windows setup starts and install the RAID driver with the floppy. The setup is able to detect the drives and requests to choose a partition to format. Then I make a 20GB partition from my RAID and format to NTFS(All under the windows setup). The formating looks fine but whenever it finishes formating, it gives me an error saying "setup was unable to format the partition blablabla, your disc may be damaged blablabla" and requests me to choose another partition to install the windows..

I've tried using NTFS quick format and even unplugged my IDE drives but still no luck!

My Hardware Setup:

Asus A8N32-SLI Deluxe
AMD Athlon 64 X2 4400+

2 x S-ATA Maxtor DiamondMax 10 250GB on RAID 0

I leave the RAM and Graphic Card info coz it's not involved in this case ;)

However I'm able to install the windows on other IDE drives and I even try to disable the RAID function to check the S-ATA drives and they works fine. But still no luck installing the windows to the RAID drive. Please Help ><

fredweston

Distinguished
Jul 21, 2006
Try updating the BIOS on your RAID controller and getting the latest device driver from the manufacturer's website. You said you tried both drives individually without RAID and they both work, right? Sometimes you actually do have a bad disk and you end up thinking there's a problem with the system because you don't expect to get a new hdd with issues.

Kaze

Distinguished
Aug 3, 2006
ye it's exactly what I never expected, that I have a bad disc. I tried to format RAID by usin' a new and a old disc it failed.. and when I tried wif 2 brand new disc it actually worked.. But still don't understand why the bad disc works properly fine individually but not RAID =/

fredweston

Distinguished
Jul 21, 2006
If I had to venture a guess I'd say that the disc isn't bad enough to not work yet, but since RAID is designed to detect disc failures, maybe something about the RAID controller can detect a more minute failure...?