Sign in with
Your question

What could Sony be up to ??

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
April 9, 2007 2:14:18 PM

There was news a week ago that Sony would releas an enhanced PS3. FCC documents mentioned a bluetooth change and bigger harddrive.

Considering its said to be very difficult to code games for the Cell processor, is it possible Sony would consider changing processors ?

Also, other than a bluetoorh module and bigger HD, what else could they do to improve the PS3.

More about : sony

April 9, 2007 2:53:50 PM

To improve the PS3, they would need to get rid of the Cell IMO and replace the existing GPU with a better one. But, I am not a fan of Sony, rather the opposite.

wes
April 9, 2007 3:24:42 PM

They should get some exclusives, that would be an improvement. And no mgs doesn't count, who would want to play as some old guy with joint problems?
Related resources
April 9, 2007 3:49:42 PM

Why are you posting this in the GPU section? Why not post this in a console forum? Does that not make any sense to you, or do I need to use smaller words?
April 9, 2007 4:45:13 PM

Quote:
kaotao, I like it here better.

It doesn't belong here though.
April 9, 2007 5:17:09 PM

Would you like to correct his grammer also...Sony lost my Business with the PS2,what a hunk a junk,sent back 3 times and still has issues 8O .Even with a OS on it,I think I'll pass on the PS3.
April 9, 2007 5:30:31 PM

Quote:
Would you like to correct his grammer also...

No. My point is that this topic doesn't belong here. Is that soo hard for you to understand??? :roll:
April 9, 2007 6:10:04 PM

The topic of whether the PS3 or a highend and expensive PC to run FEAR for instance does belong here. Additionally what Sony may be doing to make the PS3 better is very related also.

I have been considering a DX10 insdie a new high end PC however when I read comments stating FEAR need an at least $2000 system I start to think a highend system is too expensive for me.
April 9, 2007 6:18:55 PM

Quote:
The topic of whether the PS3 or a highend and expensive PC to run FEAR for instance does belong here.

Only if you enjoy being flamed. Have you not noticed the strong dislike for PC vs console threads here???

Quote:

Additionally what Sony may be doing to make the PS3 better is very related also.

How? And please don't answer that. There's nothing they can do that would have any relevance here.
a c 175 U Graphics card
April 9, 2007 6:42:58 PM

Quote:

I have been considering a DX10 insdie a new high end PC however when I read comments stating FEAR need an at least $2000 system I start to think a highend system is too expensive for me.

When does FEAR need a $2000 system to play? My machine that I built about 2 years ago plays FEAR just fine. (it plays the free multiplyer) My computer cost me $775 to build, I'm sure you could get one even cheaper now. I would argue that a computer that can handle FEAR could be easily built for $1000, $800 if you push it. If you want a computer that can just run FEAR like mine, $600 is all you need.
April 9, 2007 6:46:43 PM

$771 you mean? LGA 771
April 9, 2007 8:46:22 PM

kaetao, what Sony does has relevance here.

Lets say for the sake of argument that Crysis were somehow announced to be playable on the PS3, and, Crysis is what you specifically wanted. Then you will have overspent on a DX10 card and a highend PC to play a game you could have played on the PS3.

This would make you feel bad right.
April 9, 2007 8:47:45 PM

Thats the relevance here. Your feelings.

Get it now ?
April 9, 2007 9:06:12 PM

Quote:
There was news a week ago that Sony would releas an enhanced PS3. FCC documents mentioned a bluetooth change and bigger harddrive.

Considering its said to be very difficult to code games for the Cell processor, is it possible Sony would consider changing processors ?

Also, other than a bluetoorh module and bigger HD, what else could they do to improve the PS3.

You can get hypothetical ALL you want, but show me how anything in the above statement has any relevance to the GPU section of the forumz. Get it?
April 9, 2007 9:59:18 PM

Quote:

If this is true, Sony is only doing it to compete with Microsoft's Xbox360Elite coming out close to the end of this month. Personally, I think Sony is making a error on their part. Not to mention the current PS3 is already expensive enough.

And this is in the wrong forum, regardless of where You like to post.
April 9, 2007 10:13:00 PM

Stop ganging up and being rude to me.

If you don't see the relevence then too bad.
April 9, 2007 10:38:11 PM

Quote:

If you don't see the relevence then too bad.

There is none... :roll:
April 9, 2007 10:39:47 PM

Now now... is that any way to represent the entirety of Scotland?
a c 175 U Graphics card
April 10, 2007 6:34:04 AM

Nope, my computer cost $775. It was that cheap because I went S939 instead of AM2. The most expensive thing in this machine is the video card. I was going to get a 7900GT, but I got a deal on my motherboard, an Asus A8R-MVP. ($50 for a $100 motherboard.) I wasn't going to stick an SLI card in a CF motherboard (yes I know it would work...) so I switched back to ATI, and got an X1800XT. Ran about $250 if my memory serves. I couldn't believe I spent 1/3 of the total budget just on a video card, but I've been nothing but pleased with it. I also just hooked up the remote wonder I got with my AIW 9600pro, I don't know why computers don't normally come with remotes....
April 10, 2007 2:24:38 PM

The issue is settled insofar as Im concerned since at 6:30 PM yesterday I bought a new, unopened PS3 60 Gig for $475 cash.

It works and its probably hot however I have a very, very cheap gaming platform, linux and internet access, and a blueray player for what I consider cheap.
April 10, 2007 2:47:43 PM

Quote:

It works and its probably hot however I have a very, very cheap gaming platform, linux and internet access, and a blueray player for what I consider cheap.

and games cost 75Euro in ireland, wount be long going over $1000 with those prices.

Actually here in ireland,
PS3( 630 euro ) - $846
3 games @ 75Euro each - $300

So thats a total of ( 855Euro ) - $1146

Leaving out a screen, i can build a very good system for that price, so its not cheap, ohh PS3 plays blu-ray, but my PC lets me program, read my emails, do a bit of 3d, convert DVD's, stream music.......... Linux on PS3....everyone knows Sony will go the way of the PS2 with that once they have the user base
April 10, 2007 3:21:23 PM

You all should consider having a console and a PC. Thats what I'm going to do.

For me the console approach is very cheap.
I dont have to buy games at all since I have blockbuster.com's Total Access which gives me a free 30 day game rental every month from my local store. The rental is really for 1 week but they give you another week and then if you still dont return it you get two more weeks without any penalty or charges whatsoever. The stores actually allow you to have it for a total of 30 days then.

This is one of the reasons I went console platform. Blockbuster doesnt carry PC games.

Also, blockbuster.com allows BlueRay rentals.

All this for $17/month.

So I get:
1. Two movies mailed to me that I can return to the store to get other movies.
2. One free game for 30 days.

Throw in my $475 PS3 and for me its so inexpensive that I can still do the DX10 route but only when the first DX10 game arrives.
April 10, 2007 3:36:35 PM

definately sounds like it will work out for you then :) 

I have a PS2 and PS1, but with the increase in prices of the 'next gen' games for consoles, every time i look at my current console game collection it makes me think how stupid could i have been, i should have spent it on PC hardware and games, lol, but thats just me and of course i do love some of the console games and im currently playing FF12, however the games are far too expensive at 75euro, thats a night drinking, or a flight to another euro country :) 
April 10, 2007 4:39:19 PM

I heard you.

That guy kaotao and his gang of rude guys still probably dont get the relevence though.

Thats their problem.

You know, sometimes you can lead a horse to water, but you cant make hime drink.
April 10, 2007 5:08:18 PM

Have you ever drempt that newegg delivered to the UK or Ireland 8O ?
April 10, 2007 5:23:15 PM

He won't drink what he just saw you piss in, atleast I hope :?
April 10, 2007 5:38:18 PM

Quote:
Lets say for the sake of argument that Crysis were somehow announced to be playable on the PS3, and, Crysis is what you specifically wanted. Then you will have overspent on a DX10 card and a highend PC to play a game you could have played on the PS3.

This would make you feel bad right.

That is an incorrect assumption because my $250 8800gts 320 card will allow me to enjoy the dozens of games I currently own giving me a very high ROI (as do most PC gamers). Only a fool would invest that much in for a single game title (yet I know several coworkers that have PS3 & only one game 8O ). Many of my titles are getting replay value at max gfx settings, I don't have to purchase anything else yet I am content. Crysis will work if I buy it, great that is a bonus. Hell I could have just bought crysis and run it on my current opty175 & 7800GT@487/1170 at medium settings and no additional hardware or software purchases

Quote:
Crysis System Requirements"]Here is a list of confirmed information...

* Crysis will run on both DX9 & DX10 as well as Windows XP and Windows Vista.
* A graphics card that supports Shader Model 2 or higher is required.
* CryEngine2 is estimated to scale back 2 years, and scale ahead 1.5 years.
* A single 7800GTX will run the game quite well on fairly high settings according to Crysis Art Director, Michael Khaimzon.
* Jack Mamais of Crytek said in an exclusive Crysis-Online interview that his X1900XT runs the game very well at reasonably high settings ( still unoptmized ).
* Crysis will dynamically utilize all processing threads available. Meaning quad-core processors will be supported.
[/url]
The tired argument of the PC cost, please give me a break. If it is not preexisting then yes count it since it has to be purchased. If you are upgrading only count the upgrade. If you buy crysis and don't have a PC you need a whole PC. If you buy crysis and need only a gpu and/or a console then so be it. Some people have gotten their PC as a hand-me-down from their job for free so how would you count that... Sure you can attempt to discredit the PC's modularity but it has to be viewed in an individual case-by-case comparison to cost and ROI. If you have no PC, ROI is low. If you have an existing game PC, ROI is high. See how it works? Not exactly rocket science here. I think a lot of folks take offense since you are telling them what works best for you is best for everyone. Definitely not the case. If you don't care about blueray, and have an existing game PC (upgraded to) less than a year old a console is not a good investment since their previous investment in PC games will yield no benefit or enjoyment. Only new, PS3 games will see any result. What is bad for us is good for you, since you do not have a previous high investment in a game PC so your choice of a PS3 for games/blueray is a good one, albeit using crysis as an example was very poor :wink:

Quote:

I am glad it will meet and exceed your requirements, however I personally feel that is very limited. My dedicated linux workstation is 24x7 and serves VPN/secure shell tunneling since I connect to public wifi and have a preference for a more secure method of data transfer (even if it is just checking my yahoo/gmail) I would be pissed if my kid is playing the ps3 and my server is down. I got my linux workstation from a dead Compaq DL360, an Intel STL2 dual-pIII mobo refurb for $75 did the trick, a case from an old gateway dx2/66 complete with antec 300w was all I needed for a dual-PIII/3.5Gb-pc133/2x18gb 10k barracudas... Overkill for what I need but for $75 it's practically negligible. Not to mention, I was just at my company warehouse, they have several FREE compaq 500&733 mhz & a couple of 1ghz PCs complete w/ 17" crt's available to employees if they want them... I need 24x7 secure encrypted data x-fer to and from my home network, you need a blueray player - IMO you spent way too much, I was thinking my $250 was a lot of cashola :p  $475? Good lord, I could never justify that to the CFO to approve that purchase order (the wifey :D  ) If the PC's cumulative upgradeability did not exist, I would have nothing :cry: 

Quote:
You all should consider having a console and a PC. Thats what I'm going to do.

My brother-in-law gave me his PS2, 100% free. My son loves it, we rent from blockbuster as well. It came in handy when my DVD player died, I hooked it up to my entertainment center & remains there to this day.

Quote:
...I dont have to buy games at all...
...BlueRay rentals...

alt.binaries :twisted:
April 10, 2007 5:40:52 PM

Quote:
Have you ever drempt that newegg delivered to the UK or Ireland 8O ?

grrrr BIGTIME, whatever happened to that rumour in december that they were coming to europe?
April 10, 2007 5:57:58 PM

Quote:
I heard you.

That guy kaotao and his gang of rude guys still probably dont get the relevence though.

Thats their problem.

You know, sometimes you can lead a horse to water, but you cant make hime drink.

This thread didn't have, and still doesn't have ANY relevence to the GPU section of the forumz. It belongs in a console forum. Please read the beginning of this thread, and show me where the relevence is???
April 10, 2007 6:14:06 PM

kaotao, read doolittles reply to understand the relevence.

Doolittle, I can't, for example, buy a DX10 card in Feb 2007, pay top dollar for it, and not get to play a DX10 game and thus receive the DX10 features until next Feb 2008, when that same card is 50% cheaper.

You could have kept your previous DX9 card couldnt you ?
April 10, 2007 6:29:38 PM

Quote:

Doolittle, I can't, for example, buy a DX10 card in Feb 2007, pay top dollar for it, and not get to play a DX10 game and thus receive the DX10 features until next Feb 2008, when that same card is 50% cheaper.

You still haven't answered my question. Where was the relevence when this thread was started? That's the whole reason I brought this up. Just because someone eventually came in and contributed something relevent doesn't void the fact that this thread shouldn't have been posted here to begin with. This is a Graphics card forum, not a console forum. If you want to talk about the PS3 or whatever, go somewhere else.
April 10, 2007 6:43:11 PM

Kaotao, Im sorry, youll have to live with yourself and the relevence of this thread.

Sorry, but some things are beyond your lil ole control.
April 10, 2007 6:50:06 PM

Quote:

You still haven't answered my question. Where was the relevence when this thread was started? That's the whole reason I brought this up. Just because someone eventually came in and contributed something relevent doesn't void the fact that this thread shouldn't have been posted here to begin with. This is a Graphics card forum, not a console forum. If you want to talk about the PS3 or whatever, go somewhere else.

Quit being a jackass, all you're doing is flaming/drawing attention to this topic. and to link the topic creators original post to the GPU section:

Quote:

They could add in a lower end graphics card to make the console more affordable. I'm not saying that they will/could/should do that, but that would provide some relevance.

I'm just playing the devils advocate here. But seriously, if you don't like what he has to post, just friggen ignore it and it will eventually die off.
April 10, 2007 7:02:53 PM

Quote:

I agree back in Feb the 320mb version was not available, and don't think I would have paid top dollar either for the 640 at that time. I just got my card last week simply because of the price/performance upgrade difference - I really didn't see it as a DX10 investment just a much higher performer than my current 7800gt even overlocked the 8800 surpasses it with ease. It is not dissimilar to when I got my A64 3400, it's a nice jump over my old xp2400 I have yet to use the 64-bit at all since I'm still stuck on 32-bit XP/linux since "it just works". So the 8800 is dx10 so when it's standard I can use it, a bonus I guess.

The other reason I got the 8800 was, so I can hand-me-down the 7800gt card to my 7yo son's new PC (which is my old game PC, a a64-3700) so that is a nice match to the 7800gt we play racing games head-to-head once in a while so it is nice to keep his rig my previous upgrade.

I'm debating on selling my son's current A64-3400/6800gt system for about ~$350 or giving it to my brother - I guess if I don't sell it my brother is lucky - pass it off as his b-day present early since it's in May and he is suffering w/ my old xp2400 & 9800 Pro previously mentioned :wink:
April 10, 2007 7:11:58 PM

Quote:
The topic of whether the PS3 or a highend and expensive PC to run FEAR for instance does belong here. Additionally what Sony may be doing to make the PS3 better is very related also.

You don't need an 8800GTX to play F.E.A.R.; any high end Geforce 7 series or X1900 series card will provide a very enjoyable F.E.A.R. experience.
April 10, 2007 7:22:05 PM

Kaotao, just to clarify in case you didnt get it. Yellowjacket was not calling me a jackass but was calling you a jackass. Just wanted to clarify this since Ive seen you show some difficulty in catching on to things.

Also, kaotao, the PS3 is hardware and it has a GPU. We are under the HARDWARE - GPU sections of this forum.Theres the default relevence.

Doolittle, are you really sincere in calling a 7800GT a 7 year olds card. Sound like you just wanted an excuse to get the DX10 card before a DX10 game is out. Be honest dude. Ive done the same thing before but this time I truly bought something for my 9 year old that his friends also have.
April 10, 2007 7:41:59 PM

Here are three FEAR reviews that claim to need a current gen video card. These card alone would cost 200-300 or more 1 year ago. The slowest card is the 6800 GT OC which can still set you back some bucks.

http://www.maximumpc.com/article/F-E-A-R-
http://www.gamespot.com/pc/action/fear/review.html?page...
http://pc.ign.com/articles/657/657310p1.html

FEAR comes out on the PS3 next week and from what I read all the eye candy is maxed out.

The PS3 HARDWARE and GPU are just fine for now.
April 10, 2007 8:11:33 PM

Quote:
Kaotao, just to clarify in case you didnt get it. Yellowjacket was not calling me a jackass but was calling you a jackass.

Really? 8O That's a relief. God forbid some idiot should come along and start calling YOU names... :roll:

Like the freakin noob who said this...
Quote:

They could add in a lower end graphics card to make the console more affordable.

Priceless :lol:  :lol:  :lol: 
April 10, 2007 8:13:10 PM

i used to run fear @ 1280x1024 maxed out except AA on a system that would now cost 500Euro to build without monitor, 4200 dual core,1.6gigs ram, x850 pro, i would guess seing as the AA is terrible on the PS3 that that would be the quality, add a xfi xtrememusic for 80euro and your set
April 10, 2007 8:23:01 PM

Kaotao, better to be called names than to be silenced and accussed of being irrelevent by some guy that could be a communist.

Can you prove you are not a communist.
April 10, 2007 8:25:04 PM

Heh, I love how people seem to think that Communism is the ultimate evil in the world...
April 10, 2007 8:26:04 PM

Kaotao, are you now or have you ever been a member of the Communist Party.

Prove you are not.
April 10, 2007 8:26:48 PM

Quote:
Heh, I love how people seem to think that Communism is the ultimate evil in the world...

lol,im with you on that, ive seen far worse in ..........
April 10, 2007 8:29:18 PM

Quote:
Kaotao, are you now or have you ever been a member of the Communist Party.

Prove you are not.
How exactly is it relevant or important if he is/was?

Guess what people, THIS is why the First Amendment was written, to prevent discrimination against political and religious beliefs, not to give people the right to insult each other however they please.
April 10, 2007 8:51:48 PM

Hergie, kaotao tried to suppress my right to post here.

This reminded me of a communist plot to take over this forum and only allow topics he himself approves and authorizes.

Thats all this Communist stuff is about.

All he has to do now is prove he is not one.
April 10, 2007 8:53:30 PM

dude, way to wreck your credibility
April 10, 2007 9:03:53 PM

wow.

For the record, if it was only topics he himself approved, it would be closer to fascism than communism.
April 10, 2007 9:11:09 PM

Okay lets stop it before I make myself look like an idiot.

Sorry kaotao.

This thread was very relevent after all though.
!