What could Sony be up to ??

anthonybuchanan

Distinguished
Mar 28, 2003
There was news a week ago that Sony would releas an enhanced PS3. FCC documents mentioned a bluetooth change and bigger harddrive.

Considering its said to be very difficult to code games for the Cell processor, is it possible Sony would consider changing processors ?

Also, other than a bluetoorh module and bigger HD, what else could they do to improve the PS3.

weskurtz81

Distinguished
Apr 13, 2006
To improve the PS3, they would need to get rid of the Cell IMO and replace the existing GPU with a better one. But, I am not a fan of Sony, rather the opposite.

wes

LAN_deRf_HA

Distinguished
Nov 24, 2006
They should get some exclusives, that would be an improvement. And no mgs doesn't count, who would want to play as some old guy with joint problems?

kaotao

Distinguished
Apr 26, 2006
Why are you posting this in the GPU section? Why not post this in a console forum? Does that not make any sense to you, or do I need to use smaller words?

Ninjaz7

Distinguished
Dec 16, 2006
Would you like to correct his grammer also...Sony lost my Business with the PS2,what a hunk a junk,sent back 3 times and still has issues 8O .Even with a OS on it,I think I'll pass on the PS3.

anthonybuchanan

Distinguished
Mar 28, 2003
The topic of whether the PS3 or a highend and expensive PC to run FEAR for instance does belong here. Additionally what Sony may be doing to make the PS3 better is very related also.

I have been considering a DX10 insdie a new high end PC however when I read comments stating FEAR need an at least $2000 system I start to think a highend system is too expensive for me.

kaotao

Distinguished
Apr 26, 2006
The topic of whether the PS3 or a highend and expensive PC to run FEAR for instance does belong here.

Only if you enjoy being flamed. Have you not noticed the strong dislike for PC vs console threads here???

Additionally what Sony may be doing to make the PS3 better is very related also.

How? And please don't answer that. There's nothing they can do that would have any relevance here.

4745454b

Titan
I have been considering a DX10 insdie a new high end PC however when I read comments stating FEAR need an at least $2000 system I start to think a highend system is too expensive for me.

When does FEAR need a $2000 system to play? My machine that I built about 2 years ago plays FEAR just fine. (it plays the free multiplyer) My computer cost me $775 to build, I'm sure you could get one even cheaper now. I would argue that a computer that can handle FEAR could be easily built for $1000, $800 if you push it. If you want a computer that can just run FEAR like mine, $600 is all you need.

anthonybuchanan

Distinguished
Mar 28, 2003
kaetao, what Sony does has relevance here.

Lets say for the sake of argument that Crysis were somehow announced to be playable on the PS3, and, Crysis is what you specifically wanted. Then you will have overspent on a DX10 card and a highend PC to play a game you could have played on the PS3.

This would make you feel bad right.

kaotao

Distinguished
Apr 26, 2006
There was news a week ago that Sony would releas an enhanced PS3. FCC documents mentioned a bluetooth change and bigger harddrive.

Considering its said to be very difficult to code games for the Cell processor, is it possible Sony would consider changing processors ?

Also, other than a bluetoorh module and bigger HD, what else could they do to improve the PS3.

You can get hypothetical ALL you want, but show me how anything in the above statement has any relevance to the GPU section of the forumz. Get it?

enforcerfx

Distinguished
Jun 4, 2006

If this is true, Sony is only doing it to compete with Microsoft's Xbox360Elite coming out close to the end of this month. Personally, I think Sony is making a error on their part. Not to mention the current PS3 is already expensive enough.

And this is in the wrong forum, regardless of where You like to post.

4745454b

Titan
Nope, my computer cost $775. It was that cheap because I went S939 instead of AM2. The most expensive thing in this machine is the video card. I was going to get a 7900GT, but I got a deal on my motherboard, an Asus A8R-MVP. ($50 for a $100 motherboard.) I wasn't going to stick an SLI card in a CF motherboard (yes I know it would work...) so I switched back to ATI, and got an X1800XT. Ran about $250 if my memory serves. I couldn't believe I spent 1/3 of the total budget just on a video card, but I've been nothing but pleased with it. I also just hooked up the remote wonder I got with my AIW 9600pro, I don't know why computers don't normally come with remotes....

anthonybuchanan

Distinguished
Mar 28, 2003
The issue is settled insofar as Im concerned since at 6:30 PM yesterday I bought a new, unopened PS3 60 Gig for $475 cash.

It works and its probably hot however I have a very, very cheap gaming platform, linux and internet access, and a blueray player for what I consider cheap.

lmimmfn

Distinguished
Feb 15, 2007
It works and its probably hot however I have a very, very cheap gaming platform, linux and internet access, and a blueray player for what I consider cheap.
and games cost 75Euro in ireland, wount be long going over $1000 with those prices.

Actually here in ireland,
PS3( 630 euro ) - $846
3 games @ 75Euro each - $300

So thats a total of ( 855Euro ) - $1146

Leaving out a screen, i can build a very good system for that price, so its not cheap, ohh PS3 plays blu-ray, but my PC lets me program, read my emails, do a bit of 3d, convert DVD's, stream music.......... Linux on PS3....everyone knows Sony will go the way of the PS2 with that once they have the user base

anthonybuchanan

Distinguished
Mar 28, 2003
You all should consider having a console and a PC. Thats what I'm going to do.

For me the console approach is very cheap.
I dont have to buy games at all since I have blockbuster.com's Total Access which gives me a free 30 day game rental every month from my local store. The rental is really for 1 week but they give you another week and then if you still dont return it you get two more weeks without any penalty or charges whatsoever. The stores actually allow you to have it for a total of 30 days then.

This is one of the reasons I went console platform. Blockbuster doesnt carry PC games.

Also, blockbuster.com allows BlueRay rentals.

All this for $17/month.

So I get:
1. Two movies mailed to me that I can return to the store to get other movies.
2. One free game for 30 days.

Throw in my $475 PS3 and for me its so inexpensive that I can still do the DX10 route but only when the first DX10 game arrives.

lmimmfn

Distinguished
Feb 15, 2007
definately sounds like it will work out for you then :)

I have a PS2 and PS1, but with the increase in prices of the 'next gen' games for consoles, every time i look at my current console game collection it makes me think how stupid could i have been, i should have spent it on PC hardware and games, lol, but thats just me and of course i do love some of the console games and im currently playing FF12, however the games are far too expensive at 75euro, thats a night drinking, or a flight to another euro country :)