CoH Loading and Connection Problems

Hi.
I've posted some similar questions at the CoH official boards and have
gotten some good suggestions about some problems I'm having with the
game, but I thought I'd try here, too.

Basically, I just bought and installed the game. It patched without
incident and I was able to start it up and create a new character. When
I finished the tutorial area, though, and clicked on Atlas Park as my
starting area, the game locked up and then crashed. I restarted it and
at the character selection screen, I saw that my character was supposed
to be in Atlas Park. But when I clicked on "Enter Paragon City" -- the
game locked up again, and I had to CTRL+ALT+DEL my way out of the game.

This has gone on for days now. I've tried getting a character to go to
Galaxy City, but no luck. I've tried different servers, different
archetypes, different graphics settings, but cannot ever get into the
game. Again, I can play the tutorial all the live-long day, but I can't
ever leave that area if I want to see the character again.

Tech Support has suggested the obvious fixes -- uninstalling,
reinstalling, disabling all background programs, disabling firewalls,
opening ports, disabling Anti-Virus software, etc. I've tried all of
those things. I'm on a NAT DSL modem/router and there's not a way for
me to really open up those ports. Furthermore, absolutely every other
game I've tried to play online has never given me trouble, using this
same set-up of modem, firewall, etc.

And I can't find anybody else that's ever had this same trouble. I've
had a couple of people tell me that their loading screen sometimes gets
stuck, and they have various methods for fixing that problem. But I
haven't seen anybody talk about never being able to load anything but
the tutorial section.

Does this seem extremely odd to anybody else? Does anybody have any
idea what might be going on? I'm not especially computer-savvy, but I'm
not completely in the dark, either. But this had got me completely
stumped. Obviously tech support is stumped, too -- I mean, they don't
even respond for days on end, and when they do, it's usually to say,
"Oh, just try turning off the firewall again and see if it works this
time -- cross your fingers!"

I'm just really fed up and sad about this. I'm feeling like I've wasted
$20 on the game, and I'm starting to feel glad that I didn't spend
$39... or even more than $20. So any help or insight (or sympathy) you
can share would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.
11 answers Last reply
More about loading connection problems
  1. Archived from groups: alt.games.coh (More info?)

    "caracallaj" <jalesmeister@gmail.com> wrote:
    > Again, I can play the tutorial all the live-long day, but I can't
    > ever leave that area if I want to see the character again.

    That's extremely weird. I can't think of ANYTHING that would be different
    between the tutorial area and the regular zones.

    I'm sure tech support has covered this, since it's their initial
    boilerplate response to everything, but... have you installed the latest
    update of DirectX? And verified it through dxdiag?

    Sorry you're having trouble. Stay with it - it's worth it.

    --
    -= Victory Server =-
    -= Sgt Glory B: Level 16 Tech Blaster, Electric/Energy, F =-

    "caracallaj" <jalesmeister@gmail.com> looked up from reading the
    say:

    >Hi.
    >I've posted some similar questions at the CoH official boards and have
    >gotten some good suggestions about some problems I'm having with the
    >game, but I thought I'd try here, too.
    >
    >Basically, I just bought and installed the game. It patched without
    >incident and I was able to start it up and create a new character. When
    >I finished the tutorial area, though, and clicked on Atlas Park as my
    >starting area, the game locked up and then crashed. I restarted it and
    >at the character selection screen, I saw that my character was supposed
    >to be in Atlas Park. But when I clicked on "Enter Paragon City" -- the
    >game locked up again, and I had to CTRL+ALT+DEL my way out of the game.
    >
    >This has gone on for days now. I've tried getting a character to go to
    >Galaxy City, but no luck. I've tried different servers, different
    >archetypes, different graphics settings, but cannot ever get into the
    >game. Again, I can play the tutorial all the live-long day, but I can't
    >ever leave that area if I want to see the character again.
    >
    >Tech Support has suggested the obvious fixes -- uninstalling,
    >reinstalling, disabling all background programs, disabling firewalls,
    >opening ports, disabling Anti-Virus software, etc. I've tried all of
    >those things. I'm on a NAT DSL modem/router and there's not a way for
    >me to really open up those ports. Furthermore, absolutely every other
    >game I've tried to play online has never given me trouble, using this
    >same set-up of modem, firewall, etc.

    If you can get in the Tutorial obviously the firewall CAN'T be the
    culprit.

    Reinstalling the game (and repatching) may be necessary.
    That sounds an awful lot like a corrupted data file - so when the game
    tried to get stuff that's specific to Atlas/Galaxy you get an error and
    die.

    Barring that you could try running in windowed mode.

    It might help if you tell us your specs, since this sort of thing could
    be due to not enough memory (Tutorial is a small zone, both Atlas and
    Galaxy are much, much larger) and perhaps not enough space for windows
    to enlarge the swapfile if the real ram has been used up by coh/other
    apps. That's assuming that windows is set to be able to increase it.

    Xocyll
  3. Archived from groups: alt.games.coh (More info?)

    Yep, I've done the DxDiag thing, tests included, and sent it to tech
    support. They didn't anything about it, and I know I've got the latest
    DirectX update.

    Everybody seems to agree that there shouldn't be anything different
    between the tutorial connection and the "rest of the game" connection,
    and not knowing any better, I have to agree that seems true.
  4. Archived from groups: alt.games.coh (More info?)

    I'm glad to hear you think that the firewall isn't the culprit. I wish
    I could make tech support agree. They're the most stubborn tech support
    people I've ever met... but at least they're polite.

    I have reinstalled and repatched twice. It makes me think that maybe I
    have a bad version of the disks. I wish there was a way to download the
    client and try that.

    I haven't tried playing in windowed-mode yet. What should I look for
    when I try that? Just to see if it'll connect, or is there something
    else?

    Also, here's my specs. I'm above the recommended reqs, so I don't know
    if that'd be a problem either. But here they are:
    Intel Pentium 4 2.6 GHz
    1024 MB RAM
    NVidia GeForce4 Ti 4600
    SB Live! Sound
    Direct X Version 9.0c (4.09.0000.0904)

    Ummm.... Not sure what else I should include. Thanks for the help
    already, though!
  5. Archived from groups: alt.games.coh (More info?)

    "caracallaj" <jalesmeister@gmail.com> wrote:
    > Also, here's my specs. I'm above the recommended reqs, so I don't know
    > if that'd be a problem either. But here they are:
    > Intel Pentium 4 2.6 GHz
    > 1024 MB RAM
    > NVidia GeForce4 Ti 4600
    > SB Live! Sound
    > Direct X Version 9.0c (4.09.0000.0904)

    That should be able to run CoH like a demon.

    Latest drivers on sound and video card?

    --
    -= Victory Server =-
    -= Sgt Glory B: Level 16 Tech Blaster, Electric/Energy, F =-
    -= Mean Mr Mustard: Level 8 Science Scrapper, Dark/Regen, M =-
    -= See you on HEROICA! - http://www.dgath.com/coh/ =-
  6. Archived from groups: alt.games.coh (More info?)

    "caracallaj" <jalesmeister@gmail.com> wrote in

    > Yep, I've done the DxDiag thing, tests included, and sent it to
    > tech support. They didn't anything about it, and I know I've got
    > the latest DirectX update.
    >
    > Everybody seems to agree that there shouldn't be anything
    > different between the tutorial connection and the "rest of the
    > game" connection, and not knowing any better, I have to agree that
    > seems true.

    I've started to have problems when zoning, and I haven't been at the
    tutorial for a long time.

    I have a shortcut for flushing my DNS cache on my other monitor, that
    if the bar doesn't start quick enough, i double click that.

    Haven't had a drop in a while.

    But, then again, I'm on an SBC DSL Connection<?>
  7. Archived from groups: alt.games.coh (More info?)

    I'm not really crashing, though -- and I've never really zoned. I can't
    enter the world from the Character Selection Screen either.

    I tried the Memtest thing and everything seems to be fine -- it didn't
    detect any problems, anyway. Maybe it's the motherboard, but everything
    else I want to run (even more graphics-intensive programs) will run
    just fine and has been running fine.
  8. Archived from groups: alt.games.coh (More info?)

    In article
    caracallaj wrote:
    > Yep, I've done the DxDiag thing, tests included, and sent it to
    > tech support. They didn't anything about it, and I know I've
    > got the latest DirectX update.
    >
    > Everybody seems to agree that there shouldn't be anything
    > different between the tutorial connection and the "rest of the
    > game" connection, and not knowing any better, I have to agree
    > that seems true.

    Crashing while zoning is almost certainly a bad memory stick
    (RAM) or a bad memory bus on your mainboard.

    Try Memtest86, if you haven't yet done so. Bad memory *and* a bad
    motherboard were my problems way back when I had zoning crashes.

    --
    Neil Cerutti
    Caution: Cape does not enable user to fly. --Kenner's Batman

    "caracallaj" <jalesmeister@gmail.com> wrote:
    > I tried the Memtest thing and everything seems to be fine -- it didn't
    > detect any problems, anyway. Maybe it's the motherboard, but everything
    > else I want to run (even more graphics-intensive programs) will run
    > just fine and has been running fine.

    Do you have multiple memory modules? Try switching them around, taking the
    usual clean-the-connectors and seat-em-good steps.

    --
    -= Victory Server =-
    -= Sgt Glory B: Level 16 Tech Blaster, Electric/Energy, F =-
    -= Mean Mr Mustard: Level 8 Science Scrapper, Dark/Regen, M =-
    -= See you on HEROICA! - http://www.dgath.com/coh/ =-
    -= The Keybind & Macro Guide is now available! =-
  10. Archived from groups: alt.games.coh (More info?)

    In article <Xns960496F6C26DEnitropressatnitrosyn@216.168.3.44>,
    Shenanigunner wrote:
    > "caracallaj" <jalesmeister@gmail.com> wrote:
    >> I tried the Memtest thing and everything seems to be fine --
    >> it didn't detect any problems, anyway. Maybe it's the
    >> motherboard, but everything else I want to run (even more
    >> graphics-intensive programs) will run just fine and has been
    >> running fine.
    >
    > Do you have multiple memory modules? Try switching them around,
    > taking the usual clean-the-connectors and seat-em-good steps.

    My system had very similar symptoms, and CoH was indeed the only
    program I regularly run that crashed. Memtest86 detected errors
    only one of three times I ran the tests.

    The other options are: a bad video card, a bad hard drive, PCI
    bus, or IDE ribbon cable.

    --
    Neil Cerutti
  11. Archived from groups: alt.games.coh (More info?)

    "Shenanigunner" <shenanigunner@NOdgathSPAM.kom> wrote in message
    > "caracallaj" <jalesmeister@gmail.com> wrote:
    > > I tried the Memtest thing and everything seems to be fine -- it didn't
    > > detect any problems, anyway. Maybe it's the motherboard, but everything
    > > else I want to run (even more graphics-intensive programs) will run
    > > just fine and has been running fine.
    >
    > Do you have multiple memory modules? Try switching them around, taking the
    > usual clean-the-connectors and seat-em-good steps.

    I once had EQ1 crashing problems (CoH crashed once in a blue moon, EQ1
    often). For the life of me, I couldn't figure out why. I had reinstalled
    everything under the sun, including the OS and gotten a new video card.
    Still crashing. For the heck of it, I took out one of my DIMMs and played
    EQ1 with only half the memory. I managed to go 24 hours without crashing
    where before I would crash anywhere from 5-30 mins into the game. I place
    the other DIMMM back in and ran the game. Problems gone. Never crashed
    again. So my only conclusion is that the DIMM might have been seated
    improperly or the contacts dirty.

    Rom

Connection Games Video Games