Sam181T vs 191T

exe

Distinguished
Jul 9, 2002
Any advice on getting a Samsung 181T vs 191T? From their brochure, it looks like the specs are the same, just different price and size. $900 vs $1150 or there abouts online. Is this assumption correct?

My requirements are that I can put several of the Samsungs 181 or 191 side by side. I picked them because of the thin bezzel. I can put 3 side by side, and add more (3 on top for example) later on. Using it for financial/trading, web surfing. No gaming.

LCD's I've used. Viewsonic VG191B, great color, white is really white. Samsung 770, not as nice as it's 'old' and dependent on quality video card. As far as ghosting or response rate, both are adequate, but the Viewsonic just look better. Brighter, better contrast I can see, and richer colors. Samsung had the better QC, not one dead pixel vs the Viewsonic's about 4 that I could spot with daily use.

How does the Viewsonic VG191 compare with the Sam 181T 191T? Anyone with experience on them care to comment? Do you think it's worth it to spend about 25% more between the 181 and 191 for just one more inch? I've gotten so use to using the VG191 19inch, I don't know if I want to 'trade down' in size. Then again, I need to purchase multiples of these (spaced out in 6+months).

Thanks for the input.

flamethrower205

Illustrious
Jun 26, 2001
My father is in the trading business too (he manages a group in a hedgefund) and they use NEC LCD's. Before when he worked at investment banks and stuff, they too used NECs. The 1920NX is really sweet (excellent viewing angles and color), and the frame isn't very thick (19"). Otherwise, the 1880SX is really good too (18"). Check them out <A HREF="http://www.necmitsubishi.com/products/index.cfm" target="_new">here</A>.

My frog asked me for a straw...dunno what happened his ass all over the place :eek: <P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by flamethrower205 on 07/10/02 00:25 AM.</EM></FONT></P>

exe

Distinguished
Jul 9, 2002
I looked up the NEC 1880sx but there are two problems. It is priced the same as the 19" Samsung. And it only has a 350:1 contrast. The plus factor is that they have the thinnest bezel of any LCD. I can't find the 1920nx.

exe

Distinguished
Jul 9, 2002
Curious to know, why is it I see a quality difference between my Viewsonic VG191 and my old Samsung 770? I'm not talking about analog vs digital as both look clear and sharp. I didn't think that contrast and brightness was important as I don't even max it out on any of them, but try as I may, I can't get my Samsung 770 to look as nice as my Viewsonic in terms of rich colors and whiter whites. The most obvious to me is that white is just whitter on the Viewsonic.

flamethrower205

Illustrious
Jun 26, 2001
Well certain LCD's just don't display colors as well, and in many cases many boast 400;1, 500:1, but it's untrue and they don't display a very great range of colors. That probably why. May I ask what video card you'll be hooking these up to- a matrox?

My frog asked me for a straw...dunno what happened his ass all over the place :eek:

exe

Distinguished
Jul 9, 2002
I have an Appian Rushmore quad DVI. And this is the first and last time I'll be buying anything from them. Card was not compatable with my motherboard (shuttle AV40 with VIA P4x266 chipset). I am now using Abit IT7 (Intel 845E chipset) to get it to work. I have one outstanding problem with the card, and that is green pixels lighting up in black background. Doesn't happen in all black backgrounds, but when it does light up for example in a picture, I can scroll the affected picture up and down, and the affected pixels will follow along. They've replaced the card, and it's still doing it. Did I mention their drivers suck. It doesn't suck actually, it's just not ready. For example, no XP driver when I got the card. Now they have it, but you can't go to suspend. They're working on it. Bottom line, never again.

I have ebayed a used Matrox G200MMS, will get it in a week or so. Problem with Matrox is, that model is getting phased out. The new G450x4 will be out in September.