Opinions on best CRT RPTV

Last response: in Home Theatre
October 30, 2004 8:08:07 PM

I'm still undecided between the CRT RPTV and DLP, but I'm leaning toward
another CRT set and am going to start looking for a good one. Any
recommendations on the best WS HD (or capable) 55"-65" RPTV?

Thanks

More about : opinions crt rptv

Anonymous
October 30, 2004 11:22:15 PM

Hitachi, Mits, Pioneer Elite, Toshiba, do the research via the av forums and
then look at each before purchase. CRT is a proven technology but the DLP
and LCD do have some promise.
"Jack Dotson" <jdotson@stx.rr.com> wrote in message
> I'm still undecided between the CRT RPTV and DLP, but I'm leaning toward
> another CRT set and am going to start looking for a good one. Any
> recommendations on the best WS HD (or capable) 55"-65" RPTV?
>
> Thanks

Anonymous
October 31, 2004 1:56:20 PM

I was looking at TVs at Costco and there was one RPTV that really stood out
over the others as far as picture quality. It was a Panasonic, unsure of
the model #, yeah I am lots of help today. Anyway, I looked at their web
site and the only sets priced like the one I saw were CRT sets, so it must
have been a CRT. I guess CRT tech still holds its own against the new tech
like DLP. Check out the Panasonics.

--Dan

"Jack Dotson" <jdotson@stx.rr.com> wrote in message
> I'm still undecided between the CRT RPTV and DLP, but I'm leaning toward
> another CRT set and am going to start looking for a good one. Any
> recommendations on the best WS HD (or capable) 55"-65" RPTV?
>
> Thanks

Anonymous
November 1, 2004 12:51:27 AM

I own a Sony 34" KD-34XBR960. Its a direct view CRT set but weighs
about 198 lbs. On a standard TV show the pictures is like a 28" set.
No problem I click it for a wider picture or partial zoom from the
Dish receiver. This set also had its on receiver.

I would suggest you look at lots of 42" HD sets. Its your choice on
the newer DLP's vs LCD and the Plasma's. Viewing distance on a 42"
screen can be pretty far back. In fact in the mall we eat at a Taco
place. The Dish Network reseller has a 42" set across the hallway. I
can see all that goes on except for reading any medium print at that
distance. Even the lights are bright in that area but does not seem
to bother the picture quality. I would advise against this particular
Dish CRT RPTV set. Its a RCA made now by the Thompson people.
When Thompson bought out RCA the quality took a nose dive. I have
no idea how their quality is lately.

You might buy the current November Consumer Reports for some ideas.
CR said they will report even newer HD sets in the December issue.

hdtvfan

!