Sign in with
Your question

R600 Game pictured:R600 renders a stone

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
April 9, 2007 3:49:10 PM

We managed to get a screenshot from a previously non showed R600 demo. Punters who are invited at R600 launch event in Tunisia in two weeks will see this first hand.

More:
http://zone.hardspell.com/forum_posts.asp?TID=33
April 9, 2007 4:11:59 PM

wow, a rock!!!...
that puts an 8800GTX in the gutter! :roll:
April 9, 2007 4:21:11 PM

that is the most gorgeous rock i've ever seen :roll:

r600, you better not suck
Related resources
April 9, 2007 4:52:44 PM

wtf is a r600 made by matric???? nasty looks real

pwn on nub tube in bf2
April 9, 2007 5:08:34 PM

Quote:
Punters who are invited at R600 launch event in Tunisia in two weeks will see this first hand.

I'm sure they can't wait...., a tingle with anticipation, vibrating with excitement.
April 9, 2007 5:39:46 PM

Ah yes, the card we were supposed to have 5 months ago... renders a rock :roll:

So glad I didn't wait to buy in December (though I really wanted to stick with ATI). Even if it's 15-20% faster than 8800 gtx, I still will have enjoyed 6 months of unmitegated awesomeness.
April 9, 2007 5:54:10 PM

hahaha true dat. i do hope that it is powerful, though; not to prove you wrong or make you regret your purchase or anything, but simply because i need a nice new gpu :p 
April 9, 2007 6:02:22 PM

"Daddy, can I have one?"
"Now sweetie, the r600 isn't out yet."
"No no, I want that rock!"
April 9, 2007 6:09:56 PM

FUDZILLA

Nice work posting fake images.
April 9, 2007 6:16:34 PM

Fake image.
April 9, 2007 6:40:53 PM

Quote:
wow the R600 is rendering amd's stock

thats funny and sad at the same time... :lol:  :cry: 
April 9, 2007 7:11:47 PM

Can't believe i'm the first one to say this. I'm stoned. :lol: 
April 9, 2007 7:21:23 PM

Quote:
Aren't you still using the k6 though? Or did you finally upgrade your cpu, I think you could use a new cpu before an r600, but what do I kow, all I do is eat tacos :tongue:

Dude, switch to fajitas... better for your teeth. And that rock looks like something out of an oblivion graphics mod.
April 9, 2007 7:43:10 PM

..........,wow!?........ :|
April 9, 2007 7:46:48 PM

ATI R600 renders a rock in Tunisia!? There must be a lot of ATI fans over there. :|
April 9, 2007 7:51:56 PM

I sure wish I waited for the R600 instead of buying an 8800GTX. :lol: 
April 9, 2007 7:53:16 PM

I want to see some Crysis action with these new cards now!
April 9, 2007 7:55:19 PM

Quote:

Well, you can give me that awful really badly outdated 8800GTX. I'll take it I guess and then you can buy the R600.
April 9, 2007 8:07:54 PM

Quote:

Its really not just the rock. Its the way the shadows and fill make it seem like it really is a picture that someone took with a camera, instead of a rendered object from a computer lab. Biggest problem with the picture that I see is the overwhelming amoumt of gray, like even the cabin is gray.

Still, if this is an example of how good the R600 is, then I can't wait to get one into my computer.
April 9, 2007 8:15:05 PM

Quote:
Aren't you still using the k6 though? Or did you finally upgrade your cpu, I think you could use a new cpu before an r600, but what do I kow, all I do is eat tacos :tongue:

nah man i'm going to get the r600 and cram it into my agp slot, it'll work perfectly with my 1.9 ghz sempron :lol: 
April 9, 2007 8:40:38 PM

dunno about the image if it is real or not but after a google search i found the same imagine in debate in all hardwareforums that i visit
and i think i'm stoned...after all this time R600 renders a rock...c'mon i think we deserve much more :evil:  ...maybe i ask too much but i want to see some real benchmarks..until then i will keep an eye on the news
April 9, 2007 9:05:28 PM

how can you say this image is real... it has a big label over it with the words

FUD
April 9, 2007 9:43:30 PM

okay, shoooo, i was worried that it may not work, but if that one guy did it, i shouldn't have any problems, huh? wow. i'm glad i brought it up :wink:
April 9, 2007 10:03:44 PM

nah i know whats going on, i witnessed both of those, actually, and they were damn funny. i know enough about electronics to NOT cut stuff off and such, and especially if i were to spend any sizeable amount of money on something, i would NEVER force it/cut it/whatever.

anyway i was just making the point that my k6 processor is the least of my worries, i've gotta do a full system overhaul if i even want to have the pcie slot to put a r600 in :lol: 
April 9, 2007 10:16:35 PM

yeah, i could do that... or i could just buy whichever company's worthwhile dualie that is the cheapest :lol:  that way i can be good for like 6 months to 1 yr, but stretch out the computer for 4 anyway till it can't breathe anymore.

hahaha :lol: 

basically i'm looking at an e4300 or something from AMD, both after price cuts :twisted:
April 9, 2007 10:17:04 PM

FUD.
April 9, 2007 10:20:16 PM

whats it matter if its FUD or not? even if it was the most gorgeous picture of a rock that you'd ever seen, it would still be just a picture, which is absolutely NOTHING of relevance in the grand scheme of things. as in picture of rock (whether FUD or not) does not equal benchmarks. teh end.

not to say that i'm dissing the r600 tho. i have high expectations for it.

how close are the am2+ mobos/procs, though? i know that there are supposed to be a couple, like am2+ and am3 or w/e, but i haven't heard more than their names... and of course the infamouse HT3

i'm just into the first person who will support pcie2.0. i think that will be a big factor, and i believe that intel's bearlake may be the winner in first one out.
April 9, 2007 10:23:39 PM

oh wow how in the hell did i miss that? WOW. p.s. i added more to my last post for you, Tacos.
April 9, 2007 10:53:25 PM

well my thinking was that a pcie2.0 chipset may be near enough that paying a bit more and having that option for the future wouldn't be a bad idea. i mean i can't really see myself future-proofing, because thats usually just a waste of money, paying more for stuff that you don't have to really... still gotta get a job before i can buy anything though :wink:

and you think that your 6600gt is the bees knees, just wait till you hear the performance i get from my 9550 :lol: 
April 9, 2007 11:15:25 PM

Quote:

nah man i'm going to get the r600 and cram it into my agp slot, it'll work perfectly with my 1.9 ghz sempron :lol: 
That's the way to properly install the r600! You guys didn't know that? You can only use the r600's maximum potential by cutting off parts of the card like that one dewd did with his 7900gtx and forcing it into an agp2x slot :lol: 

No, No , No. You're thinking this all wrong. Think Tim "Tooltime" Taylor. You just get a big enough hammer and you make it fit, whether it wants to or not. Can't get the square peg into the round hole? Get a bigger hammer. Can't get the super-duper sized R600 into an small AGP2 slot? Get a bigger hammer. It works every time to make things fit. No guarentees about the computer, though.
April 9, 2007 11:16:22 PM

Quote:

Its really not just the rock. Its the way the shadows and fill make it seem like it really is a picture that someone took with a camera, instead of a rendered object from a computer lab. Biggest problem with the picture that I see is the overwhelming amount of gray, like even the cabin is gray.

Still, if this is an example of how good the R600 is, then I can't wait to get one into my computer.

Man, even if this photo is real (i don't think so), 6months plus late and it can render a really nice rock, what the frak?!!!?
It should by now render a better piece a hood or maybe render a almost real piece of dog poo...

That would really caught my attention...

What the frak you guys are talking about, if the card is so good compared to the GTX why are ati-amd waiting for to cash in?
And you know that the ati party will finish as soon as nvidia launches is 8900 8950 or something like that...

I cant wait to see what kind of rocks , pieces of hood or dog poo those cards can render....lol
April 9, 2007 11:30:12 PM

lol this pic does ATI/AMD no favours dude
a b U Graphics card
April 10, 2007 2:30:07 AM

Quote:
how can you say this image is real... it has a big label over it with the words

FUD

Just FYI, Fudzilla is FUAD(formerly of the Inquirer)'s site.

http://www.fudzilla.com/

http://www.fudzilla.com/index.php?option=com_content&ta...

BTW, I bet that the stone uses things like Displacement mapping to render the stone, and that there are things like Geometric shaders in the model. Compare that to the nV demo Cascades, and they are both boring in a static image.
April 10, 2007 2:45:13 AM

interesting site. Though with the name FUD: i wouldn't take anything said directly to be worthy.

Anyway, when I see the first pictures of the r600 series cards with a screenshot, then I will be happy.

BTW: What good is rendering a single frame? I could do that now with Maya or lightwave.
a b U Graphics card
April 10, 2007 2:51:45 AM

I don't think the R600 is only rendering a single frame, I think it's a single screenshot of a motion demo.

Just like this is a pretty unimpressive single shot of the Cascades demo;

That a terribly fake looking shot (looks like a painting not a photo), but the actual playing demo looks better because of the lighting and water effects and other aspects.

I think the single shot shows the details on the rock, and even in the background foliage, and the tumble down shack/cottage.

I'm certain there will be some story as to whythey are what they are.

Rock shows displacement mapping and surface HDR lighting, grass/foliage show geometry shaders, shack shows something else (maybe it falls down to show VPU physics), etc.
a b U Graphics card
April 10, 2007 3:19:51 AM

Yeah, and if you think about the GF4 demos, they look like nothing now, and even at the time could've been replicated in 2D with little effort, but the rendering of individual hairs on the fur of the Werewolf was special at the time (I forget what it was demoing [I could look, but you get the idea]).

It's a question of doing more with less, and if the code required to make the rocks have visible craters upon panning that shadow properly and everything, that's pretty impressive, and not something easily done even with parrallax oclusion mapping which is very capable at extrusions rather than divots/dents that displacement maps do a little better while eing good at projections/extrusions.

The potential of what the still show may show is great, but then again it may be pretty basic, or ever if it's complex, it might not be appreciated by people who don't understand what's being done. Like achieving the same effect with 1/2 or 1/4 of the resources, or doing things that would've been out of reach of the X1K series.

It's an adimitedly boring still shot, but it does tempt one into imagining all the cool things it may be doing behind the pixels.
April 10, 2007 4:17:21 AM

LMAO! That was one of the most amusing things I have heard all week...thanks for that...lol

Best,

3Ball
April 10, 2007 3:57:40 PM

You mean rendering the spit bubbles between the teeth of some lady that is being rendered?

Saw that in a demo of a 18mp camera.. that is impressive.
April 10, 2007 4:08:18 PM

Quote:

Hey, don't just take your 8800GTX for granite. :wink:
April 10, 2007 4:52:02 PM

Granite: you know... a ROCK.
April 10, 2007 4:56:31 PM

Quote:
Not a bad idea, and I like encheladas too :lol:  (but I still can't spell for meat and cheese on a tortia combined with various spices and sauces, lettuce, tomatos, and some sour cream 8O )

Seeing as I have [gasp]never played oblivion[/gasp], I can't say about the rock, but if you look closely at the picture, the amount of hidden detail there is beyond the rock is pretty good, gotta give them some credit, especially comparing it to my 6600gt :lol: 

-E N C H I L A D A S - sire...

and wow, people craving for news about the R600, then...they show rendered image of rock with background & stuff... and some leaked slides from the Tunisia show, and they now whine.. o_O
kids these days are annoying..
April 10, 2007 5:30:50 PM

fake or not , but i'm pretty sure that the background (wood house , trees) are from Call of Juarez, if you remember in the first level where you (billy) would have to sneak past that old man to get into town. just an opinion..
April 10, 2007 5:36:30 PM

yea i also think its from call of juarez.. looks pretty much like it, same graphics
April 10, 2007 5:55:24 PM

dang it who uploaded that picture of the rock from my digital camera. No wonder I'm missing that photo!
April 10, 2007 6:48:54 PM

anyone noticed that we're getting ads by google now? pathetic..
April 10, 2007 7:20:03 PM

This is exactly why I don't play the "I'm going to wait to update because of the newer technology coming out" game. If you're always waiting to update because of new technology coming out, you'll always be waiting. Me, I like playing.

In the case of the R600, this could be a bogus report.

For all those waiting for the newer, "better" technology like the R600, let me just tell you that the 8800GTX rocks!
April 10, 2007 7:50:57 PM

I swear that rock and the background scenery looks like it came right out of Call of Juarez.
a b U Graphics card
April 11, 2007 1:35:49 AM

According to a poster in VR-Zone this is what he said...

Quote:
It's CoJ (DX10 version)

DX10

DX9

link
April 11, 2007 2:00:14 AM

wow. good call Zayce :D 
!