reddogg

Distinguished
Apr 9, 2007
Greetings:

What's happened to the single core processor market? Are they being fazed out? I was checking Newegg and all you can find are OEM processors. There aren't any retail boxed versions available. What gives?? I was looking at Athlon 64 but then started looking at Sempron as there were still some boxed retail versions available. Now they're out of stock.

Thanks,
reddogg

prong

Distinguished
Apr 1, 2007
Greetings:

What's happened to the single core processor market? Are they being fazed out? I was checking Newegg and all you can find are OEM processors. There aren't any retail boxed versions available. What gives?? I was looking at Athlon 64 but then started looking at Sempron as there were still some boxed retail versions available. Now they're out of stock.

Thanks,
reddogg

Socket 939 is being phased out. Socket 754 will still be around mainly for economical/quantity build alternatives.

bfellow

Distinguished
Dec 22, 2006
With all the AMD dual-core price cuts, I would suggest investing in getting an AMD X2 with an AM2+ mobo now instead of single cores.

m25

Distinguished
May 23, 2006
Like the others said; you should look at least to a X2 dual core because the cheapest ones are only $10 more than an Athlon64 so at the end, yes, they are totally being phased out because with these prices, even the home PC/surfing machine builders tend to go for the dual core even if they don't need it and the terribly resource hungry Vista, doesn't help a single core solution for sure.