mokume1

Distinguished
Feb 26, 2007
New build here:
Gigabyte GA-M59SLI-S5 MOBO
AMD Athlon 64 X2 4000+ CPU
Patriot PC2 6400 2 GB DDR2 800 X2 memory
Thermaltake tsunami case

I attempted to run the bios for the 1st time, had keyboard and mouse issues, while solving that issue the screen would display 'loading drivers' and not respond at all to any key input (F1-F12 etc.)
I then cleared the CMOS according to Gigabytes procedure.
Now, all I have is a dead screen, the led (red) on my case blinks twice, as if displaying some sort of code, and I cannot turn off the system using the power switch on the case, nor does the reset button respond. The only way to power down is with the power supply switch.
These 2 switches operated OK before clearing the CMOS.
I have checked all connections to each component, they are secure.
Did I screw up by clearing the CMOS?
Visiting the Gigabyte website was a lesson in futility, can anyone please help?

prong

Distinguished
Apr 1, 2007
New build here:
Thermaltake tsunami case

I attempted to run the bios for the 1st time, had keyboard and mouse issues, while solving that issue the screen would display 'loading drivers' and not respond at all to any key input (F1-F12 etc.)
Now, all I have is a dead screen, the led (red) on my case blinks twice, as if displaying some sort of code, and I cannot turn off the system using the power switch on the case, nor does the reset button respond. The only way to power down is with the power supply switch.

What video card are you using? What PSU? Unplug the HD if it has a prior installation of Windows installed. You may try reseating the video card and RAM and boot with one DIMM in slot 1. If you get to BIOS, set your DVD as 'first boot device' and load your Windows CD in the try. Shut down and reconnect your HD to the MB. Power up and hit any key to boot to the Windows CD. Format and load the OS.

Did the system power on with the case power on switch before? You may have a bad switch or bad PSU also. Try holding in the off/on (power on) switch on the case and see if the system will power off.

cutthroat

Distinguished
Apr 13, 2004
When you cleared the CMOS you moved the jumper back to it's original position right? You didn't do it with the power on I hope?

To clear the CMOS turn off and unplug the PC, move the CMOS jumper from pins 1 & 2 to pins 2 & 3, leave it for 15 seconds or so, move the jumper back to pins 1 & 2, plug in and turn on the PC.

meljor

Distinguished
Dec 11, 2006
take out the powercable from the mobo and take out the battery of the mainboard and reset the bios again (5 sec).

then replace it all (first the jumper than battery than psu cable) and startup. worked for me with gigabyte after i thought i meesed up a bios flash. runs great now......

mokume1

Distinguished
Feb 26, 2007
When you cleared the CMOS you moved the jumper back to it's original position right? You didn't do it with the power on I hope?

To clear the CMOS turn off and unplug the PC, move the CMOS jumper from pins 1 & 2 to pins 2 & 3, leave it for 15 seconds or so, move the jumper back to pins 1 & 2, plug in and turn on the PC.

thanks cutthroat for the reply. Yes I had the system off, even had the psu line cord unplugged. this mobo only has 2 pins on it for clearing the cmos, just to the right of the battery.I installed a jumper there as per the instruction manual then removed it, that did not help, so then I did the other method described in the manual. this was to actually remove the battery from it's holder for 5 seconds. (it was actually out for a minute), again no change

mokume1

Distinguished
Feb 26, 2007
New build here:
Thermaltake tsunami case

What video card are you using? What PSU? Unplug the HD if it has a prior installation of Windows installed. You may try reseating the video card and RAM and boot with one DIMM in slot 1. If you get to BIOS, set your DVD as 'first boot device' and load your Windows CD in the try. Shut down and reconnect your HD to the MB. Power up and hit any key to boot to the Windows CD. Format and load the OS.

Did the system power on with the case power on switch before? You may have a bad switch or bad PSU also. Try holding in the off/on (power on) switch on the case and see if the system will power off.
Thanks to u too prong.
the video card is a ATI Radeon 1650 Pro, I will try reseating the card later tonite. all the components in this build are new. I will also try the DIMM thing tonite. BTW, the ram's are the same manufacture, Patriot, but different models. At his point I am careful to give as accurate info as I can, the missus almost left yesterday with the Easter Bunny, and good ol Chris Kringle has threatened to take me off his 'nice' list......lol 8O