Sameer

Distinguished
Apr 8, 2004
Hello all...

First off, I'd like to thank you for taking the time to respond to this.

I am building a new system and plan to buy all my parts and what not on the 16th of April. Since I am posting here for help, it is safe

to assume that I am a complete noob. I've only built 3 systems in the past and I really want this one to be good. Is April 16th a good

date? I don't mind waiting another 2 weeks or so if there someone believes that the prices will drop due to some new release.

I've got a budget of about $3,000.00 and I want a gaming rig that will run any game I choose to play flawlessly at high fps rates. I

also want a system I can brag about :p. I do plan to overclock this system to the absolute best of my abilities (with your help).

Just remember, I'm open to ideas and nothing is set in stone yet. So far, based on the reviews I've read, I have decided to choose the

following:

CPU:
INTEL Conroe E6600 2.4GHz FSB1066MHz 4MB LGA775 Dual-Core (E6600)
I've seen people refer to specific models and stepping and stuff like that... What should I look for?

MB:
Debating between 3 of them: P5B-E, P5N32-E SLI Plus, Striker Extreme
Which one is the best for gaming/Overclocking?

Video Card:
8800GTX - BFG/XFX/ASUS/EVGA - Whichever is the cheapest - Is that a good way to decide?

Sound Card:
On-board should be fine for my Logitec Z-5500 which I plan to use still.

HDD:
Two WD Raptor 150s in Raid 0.

Memory:
There is SOOO much to choose from, I don't know which is best for overclocking with my setup. I am looking for 2GB or ram though, I

figure that will be best and I can always upgrade in the future when prices drop a bit more.

PSU:
OCZ GameXStream Power Supply (SLI Ready) 700W (OCZ700GXSSLI)
Is this a good choice? Also, I want my PC to look clean.

Case:
Thermaltake ARMOR black Aluminum full tower ATX case w side window
(Is this a good choice or are there better/cheaper alternatives?)

Cooling:
I've never used liquid cooling, so I have no idea what to look for here either... Yes, I'm a NOOB!

KB/Mouse:
I'll use my current

CD/DVD Drive:
I'll decide on my own.

Monitor:
NEED MAJOR HELP HERE!!! I want at least 21" and I have no idea what kind of monitor would be best. I prefer fast response rates and

excellent quality. I'm also looking at LCD.

Also, I plan on buying from:
Infonec
Canada Computers
PC Canada
Any I am missing?

Any help would be greatly appreciated...

Thanks in advance,
Sameer

P.S - Once I have the rig built, I will be asking for help with OCing... Then I will post pics :)

betrayer_

Distinguished
Sep 21, 2006
my system cost me around $2800. if u wait a little while i think u can get one helluva system.

im no expert so dont bet ur life on my advice.

cpu: e6600 is a great cpu. (but try to get e6700 :D)

mobo: no need to get P5N32-E SLI or any sli board if u dont plan to go sli.
and i dont think u can go sli with that budget. dont know.

gpu: i have XFX but is not cheap. cant say about others.

display: man. u have to get a 24" display. otherwise 8800 wont show its true power. i have a 24" and am not going back to a smaller one. acer is the only one i cud find with 5ms response. DELL 24" is also great.

psu: cant help there

RAM: just get a corsair dominator ddr2

and also get a razer diamondback mouse

aoe

Distinguished
Mar 29, 2007
My thoughts...

Firstly, you state that you have a budget of $3000, but then later mention 2 possible suppliers that are based in Canada. I'm therefore guessing you mean Canadian $. However, I live in EU, and I'm not sure on the exchange rates, so I'll have to go with general advice.

CPU:
INTEL Conroe E6600 2.4GHz FSB1066MHz 4MB LGA775 Dual-Core (E6600)
I've seen people refer to specific models and stepping and stuff like that... What should I look for?
I think the E6600 is a good choice. I had the same decision to make and couldn't justify the extra $ for the E6700. I can't really comment on specific steppings.

MB:
Debating between 3 of them: P5B-E, P5N32-E SLI Plus, Striker Extreme
Which one is the best for gaming/Overclocking?
Not my area of expertise :oops: I went for the P5W DH Deluxe and got a nice OC, but I realise Asus motherboards are generally considered to be a bit overpriced.

Video Card:
8800GTX - BFG/XFX/ASUS/EVGA - Whichever is the cheapest - Is that a good way to decide?
I personally went for EVGA due to their Step-up program (upgrade within 90 days and only pay the difference). However, they tend to be a tad more expensive, and no bundled software/games. I've had an XFX before, and they perform well. BFG also have a good reputation from what I've heard. No idea on Asus.

Sound Card:
On-board should be fine for my Logitec Z-5500 which I plan to use still.
I have to disagree with you on this one. Those speakers are great (I have the Z5450), and a sound card will really do them justice. You can get a good sound card for 100-150€/$ (not sure what that would be in Canadian $) - well worth the investment.

HDD:
Two WD Raptor 150s in Raid 0.
Nice choice, but I personally wouldn't store important data on a RAID 0 without some backup options. I personally run 2 x 74GB Raptors in RAID 0 for my OS and program files, 150GB raptor for game installations, and a separate 300GB 7200rpm disk for data (and an external drive for backup). Whilst the 150GB raptor for game installations is optional, I would seriously consider a separate large capacity drive for your data files (docs, music, vids, etc). Keep that RAID 0 nice and clean, and it will perform to the max.

Memory:
There is SOOO much to choose from, I don't know which is best for overclocking with my setup. I am looking for 2GB or ram though, I figure that will be best and I can always upgrade in the future when prices drop a bit more.
Well, the first thing to decide is what speed you should buy. This all depends on what OC you expect to achieve from your system as you want to aim for 1:1 FSB:Memory timings. From my own experience, with the E6600, my target OC was (and still is) 3.6GHz (didn't expect to get beyond this on air, although some have). That would have required an FSB of 400MHz (FSB at stock is 266MHz, E6600 has a 9x multiplier). Memory runs at twice the frequency of the FSB. So an OC of 3.6GHz would require an FSB of 400MHz, the memory would need to be rated at 800MHz (PC2-6400). If you plan to go for a higher OC, then get higher-rated memory. The maths isn't too difficult. Regarding timings, tighter is better, but the performance difference is negligible in real life applications. I wouldn't advise paying a large premium for memory just for the better timings.

PSU:
OCZ GameXStream Power Supply (SLI Ready) 700W (OCZ700GXSSLI)
Is this a good choice? Also, I want my PC to look clean.
Can't help you on this one.

Case:
Thermaltake ARMOR black Aluminum full tower ATX case w side window
(Is this a good choice or are there better/cheaper alternatives?)
Can't help on this one either.

Cooling:
I've never used liquid cooling, so I have no idea what to look for here either... Yes, I'm a NOOB!
I've only ever used air, so no real experience here.

KB/Mouse:
I'll use my current

CD/DVD Drive:
I'll decide on my own.
Okey dokey

Monitor:
NEED MAJOR HELP HERE!!! I want at least 21" and I have no idea what kind of monitor would be best. I prefer fast response rates and excellent quality. I'm also looking at LCD.
Well, I just bought a Samsung SyncMaster 244T (24" widescreen) and I love it. However, it's not cheap.

P.S - Once I have the rig built, I will be asking for help with OCing... Then I will post pics :)
I'm sure you will get support when OCing. There's a good guide in the CPU section here and a good Temperature guide in the same section here.

cutthroat

Distinguished
Apr 13, 2004
The Intel price cuts happen April 22, we should see that at the stores in early May. The new video cards (ATI R600 & Geforce 8900/8600) are also supposed to be out in mid May, this will lower the prices of the current ones, or give you the option of top of the line.

Your best option, especially if you don't live in BC (don't pay PST), is to buy from NCIX, then use thier 'pricematch' feature to match the prices of Direct Canada. NCIX has the best service, Direct Canada the best prices. (Direct Canada is actually NCIX's warehouse).