Advice required for XP Home and new install of dual core

lcandy

Distinguished
Jul 14, 2006
Hi all,

On Monday, my new system should arrive in pieces, after putting it together I intend to install XP home pre SP1, i.e. the very basic release.

I'll have the drivers ready for the Gigabyte 965P DQ6 board, incase they are needed. I'll also have the SATA II drivers ready for the new hard drive. I'm assuming, that won't be an issue?

What I'm really concerned about, is getting the system to do anything with the new CPU, which is a Core 2 Duo E6600. My current system is not 64 bit, not dual core and certainly not new, so old XP home installs nicely on that. But what about the new one? Am I going to experiance problems? What should I look out for? My intention is to install, boot, start downloading updates the second it will let me, but will I even get that far?

Any advice or help would be appreciated. Or if you know there won't be any problems, please put my mind to rest.

Many thanks,

lcandy

XP Home won't be a problem. Dual-core CPU is still considered to be a single CPU, even though it has multiple CPU cores. Home supported Intel's hyper-threading... and it supports dual-core CPUs as well.