changing channels on wireless router help improve connection

picard

Distinguished
Apr 9, 2004
How would changing the channels on a wireless router help to improve internet connection? I changed the channels of my linksys WRT54G hoping to get rid of the chronic problem of signal degradation over time. My signals literally come to full stop despite that the PC isn't downloading any torrent files or programs. I can't surf any web sites.

I tried to renew NIC IP address, DHCP server address using ipconfig/renew command without any success. I had to reboot the pc for network connection to be restored in conjunction with rebooting the router & DSL modem.

cliff_nj

Distinguished
Dec 29, 2006
Wireless routers operate at 2.4Ghz. It is (correct me if I am wrong anyone) a band for general purpose use. This means that not just wireless wouters work on this frequency but also wireless phone handsets, wireless mice and multiple other things. The channels more you slightly away from the main 2.4GHz frequency. This can help to avoid interference from your neighbors routers and other commercial equipment. If your connection problem is being cause by interference yes this could help.

The problem you are having though does not sound like that would be the issue. Do you have any other devices connected wirelessly? And if so do they exhibit the same problem? Does this happen during constant use or after using the Internet and then trying to open a web page again after some period of time? What wireless adpater are you using?

picard

Distinguished
Apr 9, 2004
my home phone run at 5GHz. I thought that by changing channels would help solve internet signal degradation. my internet just slow to a snail pace from DSL speed. I did renew IP address but no success.

I had to reboot both router and modem to restore internet signal to normal speed.

Does anyone know what the heck is going on?

rook

Distinguished
Feb 16, 2003
I used to have the same problem with my wired Linksys BEFSR41. Connection would just slow down after a few days untill I rebooted the router. I'd recomend atleast a firmware update. I finally switched to a D-link 4100 which got rid of all my problems.

picard

Distinguished
Apr 9, 2004
I used to have the same problem with my wired Linksys BEFSR41. Connection would just slow down after a few days untill I rebooted the router. I'd recomend atleast a firmware update. I finally switched to a D-link 4100 which got rid of all my problems.

what happened to your Linksys router? Is it dead despite firmware update? Is my problem that bad?

I am thinking that perhaps my brother new router signals might be interfering with my router signals. However, I was thinking that my PC is hooked up directly by CAT cable to the router. The interference couldn't have caused the shield cable to drop DSL speed.

rook

Distinguished
Feb 16, 2003
I would have to reset my router every few days, it would hard lock with the red light staying on. Finally it wouldn't keep a conectiopn with my modem for more that a minute.

It shouldn't matter what other routers are near by. I have about 15-18 wireless networks around my apartment at any given time. I just picked a channel with the fewest networks just to be safe, but it didn't effect my performance. Running strong at 54MB which is way faster than my cable.
If you can hook up wired and still have the same problems it will atleast elimanate wireless from the equation.