Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

repairing win xp after power loss?

Last response: in Windows XP
Share
Anonymous
April 13, 2005 5:43:03 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.basics (More info?)

after power loss am unable to connect to internet. i am unable to use the
install cd because it will not load at startup. the rom is functioning.i've
set the bios to start from cd drive.no help.???
Anonymous
April 13, 2005 5:51:34 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.basics (More info?)

If you can't use the install CD, I'm assuming this is a retail version, not
much you can do but take it to a shop and have the system checked for
hardware issues that might have been caused by the power loss. If this is
the CD supplied with your system by the system manufacturer, read your
documentation for proper recovery procedures. NOTE: OEM procedures often
only offer a restoration of the original image with no repair option and
will wipe your drive of all files including your data.

If you try running the recovery, if your situation fits that as opposed to a
retail CD and the routine won't run, you are in the same predicament.
You'll need to have the system checked for possible hardware issues
resulting from the power loss.

--
In memory of our dear friend, MVP Alex Nichol.

Michael Solomon MS-MVP
Windows Shell/User
https://mvp.support.microsoft.com/communities/mvp.aspx
Backup is a PC User's Best Friend
DTS-L.Org: http://www.dts-l.org/


"ralph m loudin" <ralphmloudin@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
news:C4293FB0-CF3F-401A-BF63-AF7450877960@microsoft.com...
> after power loss am unable to connect to internet. i am unable to use the
> install cd because it will not load at startup. the rom is
> functioning.i've
> set the bios to start from cd drive.no help.???
Anonymous
April 13, 2005 8:37:01 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.basics (More info?)

It is not clear whether you have a retail XP CD, or a PC-maker's restore CD,
or an OEM XP CD. Only the first will do a repair.

As for hardware issues, try booting the PC with a plain old DOS boot floppy.
If you do not have one, download one from www.bootdsik.com. Get one with
generic support for CD readers. That should at least tell you whether the
motherboard, CPU, RAM, and CD reader are OK. But, it will not see any NTFS
formatted disks. Be sure to have the boot order specified as first=floppy,
second=CD, third=harddrive.

If that fails, then you have major hardware problems.

If that works, then try making a bootable CD from the floppy. Both Nero and
Easy CD Creator can do this. Try booting the PC with that CD. If it fails,
but if the floppy boot could read a random data CD, then there is something
wrong with the BIOS setup for booting from CD.


"ralph m loudin" <ralphmloudin@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
news:C4293FB0-CF3F-401A-BF63-AF7450877960@microsoft.com...
> after power loss am unable to connect to internet. i am unable to use the
> install cd because it will not load at startup. the rom is
> functioning.i've
> set the bios to start from cd drive.no help.???
Related resources
Anonymous
April 14, 2005 12:06:47 AM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.basics (More info?)

I take it that you can log on in XP - since you say your problem is
connection to Internet.
Try the easy steps first:
1. Check in Device manager that your CD drive is properly installed.
either Uninstall and reboot and install as you did the first time or
simply try another CD drive (from another machine, friends blah blah).
However, since the CD is recognized in BIOS, I assume it works OK. Try a
firmware update.
2. After having the CD drive working in XP, delete and redo your Internet
connections - in case that the XP Install CD is required. You can try
redoing the Internet connection without the CD drive being functional.

Michael

"ralph m loudin" <ralphmloudin@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
news:C4293FB0-CF3F-401A-BF63-AF7450877960@microsoft.com...
> after power loss am unable to connect to internet. i am unable to use the
> install cd because it will not load at startup. the rom is
> functioning.i've
> set the bios to start from cd drive.no help.???
Anonymous
April 14, 2005 10:50:00 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.basics (More info?)

"Bob Harris" <rharris270[SPAM]@hotmail.com> wrote:

>It is not clear whether you have a retail XP CD, or a PC-maker's restore CD,
>or an OEM XP CD. Only the first will do a repair.

That is not quite correct. The generic OEM CDs, which are supplied by
Microsoft to the smaller manufacturers and assemblers, will boot to
the Recovery Console and will also do a Repair Install.

And some OEM CDs, such as those from Dell, also retain these
capabilities.

But most OEM CDs that have the name and/or logo of the computer
manufacturer on them do not.


Ron Martell Duncan B.C. Canada
--
Microsoft MVP
On-Line Help Computer Service
http://onlinehelp.bc.ca

In memory of a dear friend Alex Nichol MVP
http://aumha.org/alex.htm
Anonymous
April 14, 2005 10:56:11 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.basics (More info?)

"ralph m loudin" <ralphmloudin@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:

>after power loss am unable to connect to internet. i am unable to use the
>install cd because it will not load at startup. the rom is functioning.i've
>set the bios to start from cd drive.no help.???

Your Windows XP will boot up okay, and it is just that you are unable
to connect to the Internet? Is that correct?

Or are you unable to get the computer to start up and load Windows XP?

If Windows is loading but the Internet connection is not working then
please provide some further details about your internet connection
(dial-up, Cable, ADSL) and also describe exactly what happens when you
try to connect, including the complete text of any and all error
messages.

If Windows XP does not load up at all please describe the actual
behavior that happens when you turn on the computer, including what
shows on the screen and what happens, such as "it freezes up with
(something) showing on the screen" or "It gets to <description> and
then shuts down and starts up again", and if there are any error
messages then we need the complete text of those messages.

That additional information will help us to identify what is wrong
with your computer and what may be needed to fix it.

Good luck


Ron Martell Duncan B.C. Canada
--
Microsoft MVP
On-Line Help Computer Service
http://onlinehelp.bc.ca

In memory of a dear friend Alex Nichol MVP
http://aumha.org/alex.htm
Anonymous
April 15, 2005 2:47:01 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.basics (More info?)

"Ron Martell" wrote:

> "ralph m loudin" <ralphmloudin@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:
>
> >after power loss am unable to connect to internet. i am unable to use the
> >install cd because it will not load at startup. the rom is functioning.i've
> >set the bios to start from cd drive.no help.???the computer will load xp and function well except connect to the internet.my cd rom is functioning but will not load xp disk at startup. it will see and load the sp2 disk.command prompt format and forced dismount dose'nt work. last good start fails.restore hase no dates prior to date of outage. if i knew how to force a format of c: i'd sure do it. thanks. ralph
>
> Your Windows XP will boot up okay, and it is just that you are unable
> to connect to the Internet? Is that correct?
>
> Or are you unable to get the computer to start up and load Windows XP?
>
> If Windows is loading but the Internet connection is not working then
> please provide some further details about your internet connection
> (dial-up, Cable, ADSL) and also describe exactly what happens when you
> try to connect, including the complete text of any and all error
> messages.
>
> If Windows XP does not load up at all please describe the actual
> behavior that happens when you turn on the computer, including what
> shows on the screen and what happens, such as "it freezes up with
> (something) showing on the screen" or "It gets to <description> and
> then shuts down and starts up again", and if there are any error
> messages then we need the complete text of those messages.
>
> That additional information will help us to identify what is wrong
> with your computer and what may be needed to fix it.
>
> Good luck
>
>
> Ron Martell Duncan B.C. Canada
> --
> Microsoft MVP
> On-Line Help Computer Service
> http://onlinehelp.bc.ca
>
> In memory of a dear friend Alex Nichol MVP
> http://aumha.org/alex.htm
>
Anonymous
April 16, 2005 8:24:26 AM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.basics (More info?)

"ralph m loudin" <ralphmloudin@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:

>
>
>"Ron Martell" wrote:
>
>> "ralph m loudin" <ralphmloudin@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:
>>
>> >after power loss am unable to connect to internet. i am unable to use the
>> >install cd because it will not load at startup. the rom is functioning.i've
>> >set the bios to start from cd drive.no help.???

>the computer will load xp and function well except connect to the internet.my cd rom is functioning >but will not load xp disk at startup. it will see and load the sp2 disk.command prompt format and >forced dismount dose'nt work. last good start fails.restore hase no dates prior to date of outage. >if i knew how to force a format of c: i'd sure do it. thanks. ralph


I almost missed your reply because it was merged into your original
message. I have separated the two.

If your computer will not boot from the Windows XP disk then you are
going to have to use a bootable diskette.

Download one from www.bootdisk.com (a Windows 98 or Windows ME
bootdisk should work just fine for this).

Boot the computer from the boot disk

If the existing partition is NTFS then use FDISK to delete it.
Remove the boot disk and reboot the computer. It may boot from the
CDROM now that the hard drive is not bootable.

If the existing partition is FAT32 then format it from the command
prompt. Then insert your Windows XP CD and run the Setup program on
it from the command prompt.

Good luck


Ron Martell Duncan B.C. Canada
--
Microsoft MVP
On-Line Help Computer Service
http://onlinehelp.bc.ca

In memory of a dear friend Alex Nichol MVP
http://aumha.org/alex.htm
!