Jaer

Distinguished
Apr 9, 2007
Ok, I'm currently on my new pc, and I'm having an issue:

Basically I've had my pc just freeze, the screen remains unchanged, no bsod, no error popping up, it just freezes. The usb devices, fans all remain lit. I have to restart it and it'll work fine, until it freezes again that is.

I thought it was my hdd, so I bought a new one to test on, and it happened again. I thought it was windows itself, but it happened during a windows install, before it was even loaded.

I then thought it was the sata power cable itself, so I changed it to the 4 pin molex. And while it seems fine now, when I tested it in World of warcraft it did it again.

My vid card seems quite warm (hot is more accurate, tested at 56 degrees idle), but no visual artifacts pop up, no warnings etc.

I don't overclock the system either. Any help would be appreciated.

system specs:
Intel e6600
Asus p5n-e sli motherboard
EVGA 8800gts 320mb
Creative Soundblaster x-fi
Western digital (both hard drives were exactly the same) sata 250 16mb
Asus silent square HSF
Corsair hx520watt psu

I'm trying to figure out what the issue is so I can replace/fix it in time. All drivers (even motherboard bios/drivers) are all up to date as well.

Thx.

edit: also, it shows my SATA drives are removable storage, how do I fix this issue?

cutthroat

Distinguished
Apr 13, 2004
it shows my SATA drives are removable storage, how do I fix this issue?

First of all, that's normal. You can't fix it, AFAIK you can't even make the icon disappear from the system tray.

The video card temp is actually OK, they are running hot these days.

I'm wondering about your RAM, specifically if it requires a highere voltage than the motherboard defaults to. Check the specs of your RAM, make sure the voltage is set correctly in your BIOS. Run Memtest86 for a couple of runs to make sure your RAM is OK.

Jaer

Distinguished
Apr 9, 2007
i'm using gskil 2gb (2x1gb) pc6400.

everything is in auto/defaul in bios.

any ideas/thoughts on timings/voltages?

just booting up a second ago I had 4 freezes loading windows etc. I don't think it's temp related since the system hasn't even really been running yet.

cutthroat

Distinguished
Apr 13, 2004
Chances are the spec voltage for that RAM is 1.9-2.1V. You need to check the exact model on the G-Skill website. You will probably need to manually set the voltage to at least 1.9v in the BIOS. See if that helps.

Jaer

Distinguished
Apr 9, 2007
had so many freeze issues that I tore the entire pc apart. boxed up the motherboard and accessories and I'm just going to RMA it. Once I get a new one, then i'll test it out. I've grown tired of the issues I've had with this system. Never had this many problems on a built system using default settings.

Jaer

Distinguished
Apr 9, 2007
I love the feeling of building my own pc, but I rarely have issues where it's so vague as to what's causing the issues.

I've been looking over the forums on the net about this board and it seems tons of issues from the bios (202 standard) having tons of problems, to ram slots not working properly... I want to put it back together and try out these issues, but frankly, i'd just rather rma it "just in case".

Then i'll start all overagain.

skyguy

Distinguished
Aug 14, 2006
P5N-E......*shudder*

Pick a new mobo if you can.....MSI P6N instead. Or even Gigabyte 965P-DS3 for non-SLI. ALOT less headaches to be sure. Even if your RAM is suspect, I'd still ditch that P5N.

Jaer

Distinguished
Apr 9, 2007
got the new mobo, and a new cooling system as well (coolit eliminator, which now my side of my case doesn't fit!)

anyway, got it all together, started it up and set my memory timings at 4-4-4-12-2t. gskill 2x1gb pc 6400. Also upped the voltage to 2.013 on the memory. kept everything else normal.

updated my bios to the newest (602).

got windows going and realized it doesn't really restart.. I hit restart, and it just hangs there... i have to hard reset it.

so i get windows running normally, start up WoW for testing/benchmarking. Everything starts up, runs great, then it happens. Just freezes (again). so although I know it was the motherboard before, I'm stuck as to wtf is going on with this system. I'd love to just replace the motherboard with an entirely different brand, but the fact is, that the return policy on this unit is expired i believe via newegg.

so far everyone I've talked to or read about, was generally memory timing issues. but i'm stuck as to what to do next.

TRENDING THREADS