Pre-emptive Strike - Codemasters E3 2004

Well here goes, my guesstimate of the announcement Codemasters will make at
E3 in a couple of days time....

Codemasters are pleased to release Operation Flashpoint for the XBOX, which
has massive graphical improvement over the original PC version, along with
full Join in Progress Multiplayer gaming options via XBOX Live! Four new
Large (Nogova Sized) Islands will be used as the basis for a 40 mission
campaign following the general lines of the original 1985 campaign and the
Resistance campaign.

Codemasters are also delighted to announce the release of a new standalone
(or possibly expansion) game, called Flashpoint 2004!
Improvements in the game engine and enhancements taken from the XBOX
conversion have made possible a much improved graphics engine, which makes
the most of up to date hardware. Pixel shading, dynamic lighting and higher
poly models all add to the atmosphere.

As for the gameplay, you take the part of Special Forces (Delta?) deployed
worldwide to counter specific threats. You may find yourself fighting in
tropical jungles and snowy mountain sides, with a wealth of modern equipment
at your disposal. ( Expect MH47E, Littlebirds, MH60's etc etc)

Codemasters are also delighted to annouce that this expansion to the
original game will have full Join In Progress ability where the mission
maker allows for that, as well as full backwards compatibility with the
existing addon base. Tweaked MP coding will allow for VOIP in game, and is
enhanced for 56K users.

The expected release date of Flashpoint 2004 is Summer 2004.

NOTE: All the above is pure conjecture on my part, and may be totally
unjustified. It is based upon personal observations only, and I have no ties
or interests to either BIS or codemasters. I also have a rather large hat
marinading in garlic, just in case I have to eat it.

We'll soon see!

TJ
30 answers Last reply
More about emptive strike codemasters 2004
  1. Archived from groups: alt.games.operation-flashpoint (More info?)

    I hope they've improved the "grass", first.

    Looked kinda hokey in one of those screens.

    Personally, I'd like to see a sequel that involves Guba or some of his
    proteges.

    An invasion of America would be cool.

    -=-Uzi

    "TJ" <who@where.com> wrote in message
    > Well here goes, my guesstimate of the announcement Codemasters will make
    at
    > E3 in a couple of days time....
    >

    > Codemasters are pleased to release Operation Flashpoint for the XBOX,
    which
    > has massive graphical improvement over the original PC version, along with
    > full Join in Progress Multiplayer gaming options via XBOX Live! Four new
    > Large (Nogova Sized) Islands will be used as the basis for a 40 mission
    > campaign following the general lines of the original 1985 campaign and the
    > Resistance campaign.
    >
    > Codemasters are also delighted to announce the release of a new standalone
    > (or possibly expansion) game, called Flashpoint 2004!
    > Improvements in the game engine and enhancements taken from the XBOX
    > conversion have made possible a much improved graphics engine, which makes
    > the most of up to date hardware. Pixel shading, dynamic lighting and
    higher
    > poly models all add to the atmosphere.
    >
    > As for the gameplay, you take the part of Special Forces (Delta?) deployed
    > worldwide to counter specific threats. You may find yourself fighting in
    > tropical jungles and snowy mountain sides, with a wealth of modern
    equipment
    > at your disposal. ( Expect MH47E, Littlebirds, MH60's etc etc)
    >
    > Codemasters are also delighted to annouce that this expansion to the
    > original game will have full Join In Progress ability where the mission
    > maker allows for that, as well as full backwards compatibility with the
    > existing addon base. Tweaked MP coding will allow for VOIP in game, and is
    > enhanced for 56K users.
    >
    > The expected release date of Flashpoint 2004 is Summer 2004.
    >

    > NOTE: All the above is pure conjecture on my part, and may be totally
    > unjustified. It is based upon personal observations only, and I have no
    ties
    > or interests to either BIS or codemasters. I also have a rather large hat
    > marinading in garlic, just in case I have to eat it.
    >
    > We'll soon see!
    >
    > TJ

  2. Archived from groups: alt.games.operation-flashpoint (More info?)

    We live in hope TJ, we live in hope.

    On Wed, 12 May 2004, TJ wrote:

    > Well here goes, my guesstimate of the announcement Codemasters will make at
    > E3 in a couple of days time....
    >

    > Codemasters are pleased to release Operation Flashpoint for the XBOX, which
    > has massive graphical improvement over the original PC version, along with
    > full Join in Progress Multiplayer gaming options via XBOX Live! Four new
    > Large (Nogova Sized) Islands will be used as the basis for a 40 mission
    > campaign following the general lines of the original 1985 campaign and the
    > Resistance campaign.
    >
    > Codemasters are also delighted to announce the release of a new standalone
    > (or possibly expansion) game, called Flashpoint 2004!
    > Improvements in the game engine and enhancements taken from the XBOX
    > conversion have made possible a much improved graphics engine, which makes
    > the most of up to date hardware. Pixel shading, dynamic lighting and higher
    > poly models all add to the atmosphere.
    >
    > As for the gameplay, you take the part of Special Forces (Delta?) deployed
    > worldwide to counter specific threats. You may find yourself fighting in
    > tropical jungles and snowy mountain sides, with a wealth of modern equipment
    > at your disposal. ( Expect MH47E, Littlebirds, MH60's etc etc)
    >
    > Codemasters are also delighted to annouce that this expansion to the
    > original game will have full Join In Progress ability where the mission
    > maker allows for that, as well as full backwards compatibility with the
    > existing addon base. Tweaked MP coding will allow for VOIP in game, and is
    > enhanced for 56K users.
    >
    > The expected release date of Flashpoint 2004 is Summer 2004.
    >

    > NOTE: All the above is pure conjecture on my part, and may be totally
    > unjustified. It is based upon personal observations only, and I have no ties
    > or interests to either BIS or codemasters. I also have a rather large hat
    > marinading in garlic, just in case I have to eat it.
    >
    > We'll soon see!
    >
    > TJ

  3. Archived from groups: alt.games.operation-flashpoint (More info?)

    > An invasion of America would be cool.
    >
    > -=-Uzi

    As would worlds involving lots of civillians (as in 'properly modelled urban areas'). Be a bit of a
    change back to a more current version of reality when compared to the gung-ho WW2 'shoot anything
    that moves' deals.

  4. Archived from groups: alt.games.operation-flashpoint (More info?)

    "TJ" <who@where.com> wrote in message

    > Codemasters are also delighted to announce the release of a new
    standalone
    > (or possibly expansion) game, called Flashpoint 2004!
    > Improvements in the game engine and enhancements taken from the XBOX
    > conversion have made possible a much improved graphics engine, which
    makes
    > the most of up to date hardware. Pixel shading, dynamic lighting and
    higher
    > poly models all add to the atmosphere.

    For xbox read 'PC in small box', so it's entirley possible that an
    improved xbox version could be running on PC very quickly.
    I'm still not buying an xbox though......
  5. Archived from groups: alt.games.operation-flashpoint (More info?)

    "TJ" <who@where.com> wrote:

    <snip...>

    >I also have a rather large hat marinading in garlic, just in case I have to eat it.

    ROFL - Yes, time will tell if your crystal ball is aligned with BIS/CM
    ;-)

    /Christer (a.k.a KeyCat)
  6. Archived from groups: alt.games.operation-flashpoint (More info?)

    Sounds very plausable, apart from the 56K thing. Xbox is BB only, so I
    doubt they will make any improvements there and anything that's not in
    the X-Box probably won't be done as they can put those resources into
    OFP2 development.

    --
    http://www.wireplay.co.uk/
    http://www.aligrant.com/

    "Never be ashamed of not knowing a
    thing, but always be ashamed of not
    wanting to know."
  7. Archived from groups: alt.games.operation-flashpoint (More info?)

    "Alastair Grant" <ask@for.it> wrote in message
    > Sounds very plausable, apart from the 56K thing. Xbox is BB only, so I
    > doubt they will make any improvements there and anything that's not in
    > the X-Box probably won't be done as they can put those resources into
    > OFP2 development.

    I doubt full backwards compatibility with existing addons. If any
    compatibility is given, it would almost certainly include the BAS addons I
    would imagine...

    --

    Liddle Feesh
    *fap fap fap fap*

    Well, too bad for you, because I finally broke down and got one and I simply
    LOVE playing any number of the split-screen multiplayer games out for it.

    Halo in split-screen coop is sweet.

    And you really get used to the controllers after a while.

    And it is SOOOOOO nice to be able to simply boot up a game and play without
    having to do a whole bunch of other stuff.

    I'm looking forward to OFP on the Xbox in multi.

    --Uzi

    "didgerman" <aw990012@hotmail.com> wrote in message

    > "TJ" <who@where.com> wrote in message
    >
    > > Codemasters are also delighted to announce the release of a new
    > standalone
    > > (or possibly expansion) game, called Flashpoint 2004!
    > > Improvements in the game engine and enhancements taken from the XBOX
    > > conversion have made possible a much improved graphics engine, which
    > makes
    > > the most of up to date hardware. Pixel shading, dynamic lighting and
    > higher
    > > poly models all add to the atmosphere.
    >
    > For xbox read 'PC in small box', so it's entirley possible that an
    > improved xbox version could be running on PC very quickly.
    > I'm still not buying an xbox though......

  9. Archived from groups: alt.games.operation-flashpoint (More info?)

    Can I add.

    my guess

    Announcing Flashpoint Vietnam

    "TJ" <who@where.com> wrote in message
    > Well here goes, my guesstimate of the announcement Codemasters will make
    at
    > E3 in a couple of days time....
    >

    > Codemasters are pleased to release Operation Flashpoint for the XBOX,
    which
    > has massive graphical improvement over the original PC version, along with
    > full Join in Progress Multiplayer gaming options via XBOX Live! Four new
    > Large (Nogova Sized) Islands will be used as the basis for a 40 mission
    > campaign following the general lines of the original 1985 campaign and the
    > Resistance campaign.
    >
    > Codemasters are also delighted to announce the release of a new standalone
    > (or possibly expansion) game, called Flashpoint 2004!
    > Improvements in the game engine and enhancements taken from the XBOX
    > conversion have made possible a much improved graphics engine, which makes
    > the most of up to date hardware. Pixel shading, dynamic lighting and
    higher
    > poly models all add to the atmosphere.
    >
    > As for the gameplay, you take the part of Special Forces (Delta?) deployed
    > worldwide to counter specific threats. You may find yourself fighting in
    > tropical jungles and snowy mountain sides, with a wealth of modern
    equipment
    > at your disposal. ( Expect MH47E, Littlebirds, MH60's etc etc)
    >
    > Codemasters are also delighted to annouce that this expansion to the
    > original game will have full Join In Progress ability where the mission
    > maker allows for that, as well as full backwards compatibility with the
    > existing addon base. Tweaked MP coding will allow for VOIP in game, and is
    > enhanced for 56K users.
    >
    > The expected release date of Flashpoint 2004 is Summer 2004.
    >

    > NOTE: All the above is pure conjecture on my part, and may be totally
    > unjustified. It is based upon personal observations only, and I have no
    ties
    > or interests to either BIS or codemasters. I also have a rather large hat
    > marinading in garlic, just in case I have to eat it.
    >
    > We'll soon see!
    >
    > TJ

  10. Archived from groups: alt.games.operation-flashpoint (More info?)

    "Uziyahu" <NNOSPAMMuziyahu@yahoo.com> wrote in message
    > Well, too bad for you, because I finally broke down and got one and
    I simply
    > LOVE playing any number of the split-screen multiplayer games out
    for it.

    > Halo in split-screen coop is sweet.
    >
    > And you really get used to the controllers after a while.
    >
    > And it is SOOOOOO nice to be able to simply boot up a game and play
    without
    > having to do a whole bunch of other stuff.
    >
    > I'm looking forward to OFP on the Xbox in multi.
    >
    > --Uzi

    Yeah but, you have to give money to the evil bill gates {spit}, which
    is something I just can't do....
  11. Archived from groups: alt.games.operation-flashpoint (More info?)

    > > I'm looking forward to OFP on the Xbox in multi.
    > >
    > > --Uzi
    >
    > Yeah but, you have to give money to the evil bill gates {spit}, which
    > is something I just can't do....

    You already did. You're playing OFP on your PC, right? Did you get Windows
    for free?
  12. Archived from groups: alt.games.operation-flashpoint (More info?)

    didgerman wrote:

    > Yeah but, you have to give money to the evil bill gates {spit}, which
    > is something I just can't do....

    Yeah but, it's worth it just for Halo.

    --
    Mutley!! Doooooo Something!!
    Fix Outlook Express - http://flash.to/oe-quotefix/

    TJ wrote:
    > Well here goes, my guesstimate of the announcement Codemasters will
    > make at E3 in a couple of days time....

    :(

    CODEMASTERS E3 LINE UP:

    Second Sight (PS2, XBox, GCube)
    Club Football 2005 range (PS2, Xbox, PC)
    Colin McRae Rally 2005 (PS2, Xbox)
    Dragon Empires (PC Online)
    IndyCar Series 2005 (PS2, Xbox)
    Soldiers: Heroes of World War II (PC)
    MTV Music Generator 3 (PS2, Xbox)
    Operation Flashpoint (Xbox)
    Perimeter (PC)
    Wartime Comand (PC)

    --
    Mutley!! Doooooo Something!!
    Fix Outlook Express - http://flash.to/oe-quotefix/
    as recommended by your friendly neighbourhood MeltDown.
  14. Archived from groups: alt.games.operation-flashpoint (More info?)

    "Littlemoot" <littlemoot@h0tmail.com> wrote in message
    > didgerman wrote:
    > >
    > > Yeah but, you have to give money to the evil bill gates {spit},
    which
    > > is something I just can't do....
    >
    > Yeah but, it's worth it just for Halo.

    Halo was meant for the PC, I rest my case.....
  15. Archived from groups: alt.games.operation-flashpoint (More info?)

    > > > I'm looking forward to OFP on the Xbox in multi.
    > > >
    > > > --Uzi
    > >
    > > Yeah but, you have to give money to the evil bill gates {spit},
    which
    > > is something I just can't do....
    >
    > You already did. You're playing OFP on your PC, right? Did you get
    Windows
    > for free?

    Yes: I'm a part time student at a university with a M$ partnership. I
    use windoze for games and most menial tasks. When it comes to work,
    it's Linux and Java/c++.
  16. Archived from groups: alt.games.operation-flashpoint (More info?)

    Got my post edited by Suma :)

    "TJ" <who@where.com> wrote in message
    > Well here goes, my guesstimate of the announcement Codemasters will make
    at
    > E3 in a couple of days time....
    >

    > Codemasters are pleased to release Operation Flashpoint for the XBOX,
    which
    > has massive graphical improvement over the original PC version, along with
    > full Join in Progress Multiplayer gaming options via XBOX Live! Four new
    > Large (Nogova Sized) Islands will be used as the basis for a 40 mission
    > campaign following the general lines of the original 1985 campaign and the
    > Resistance campaign.
    >
    > Codemasters are also delighted to announce the release of a new standalone
    > (or possibly expansion) game, called Flashpoint 2004!
    > Improvements in the game engine and enhancements taken from the XBOX
    > conversion have made possible a much improved graphics engine, which makes
    > the most of up to date hardware. Pixel shading, dynamic lighting and
    higher
    > poly models all add to the atmosphere.
    >
    > As for the gameplay, you take the part of Special Forces (Delta?) deployed
    > worldwide to counter specific threats. You may find yourself fighting in
    > tropical jungles and snowy mountain sides, with a wealth of modern
    equipment
    > at your disposal. ( Expect MH47E, Littlebirds, MH60's etc etc)
    >
    > Codemasters are also delighted to annouce that this expansion to the
    > original game will have full Join In Progress ability where the mission
    > maker allows for that, as well as full backwards compatibility with the
    > existing addon base. Tweaked MP coding will allow for VOIP in game, and is
    > enhanced for 56K users.
    >
    > The expected release date of Flashpoint 2004 is Summer 2004.
    >

    > NOTE: All the above is pure conjecture on my part, and may be totally
    > unjustified. It is based upon personal observations only, and I have no
    ties
    > or interests to either BIS or codemasters. I also have a rather large hat
    > marinading in garlic, just in case I have to eat it.
    >
    > We'll soon see!
    >
    > TJ

  17. Archived from groups: alt.games.operation-flashpoint (More info?)

    What a tasty hat..................

    The only surprise was that XBOX was delayed until autumn, when all promises
    were for it to be ready and released for E3.

    I *KNOW* there is an 'expansion' similar to what I described in the
    works.....

    chew chew chew

    > Got my post edited by Suma :)
    >

    > "TJ" <who@where.com> wrote in message
    > > Well here goes, my guesstimate of the announcement Codemasters will make
    > at
    > > E3 in a couple of days time....
    > >

    > > Codemasters are pleased to release Operation Flashpoint for the XBOX,
    > which
    > > has massive graphical improvement over the original PC version, along
    with
    > > full Join in Progress Multiplayer gaming options via XBOX Live! Four new
    > > Large (Nogova Sized) Islands will be used as the basis for a 40 mission
    > > campaign following the general lines of the original 1985 campaign and
    the
    > > Resistance campaign.
    > >
    > > Codemasters are also delighted to announce the release of a new
    standalone
    > > (or possibly expansion) game, called Flashpoint 2004!
    > > Improvements in the game engine and enhancements taken from the XBOX
    > > conversion have made possible a much improved graphics engine, which
    makes
    > > the most of up to date hardware. Pixel shading, dynamic lighting and
    > higher
    > > poly models all add to the atmosphere.
    > >
    > > As for the gameplay, you take the part of Special Forces (Delta?)
    deployed
    > > worldwide to counter specific threats. You may find yourself fighting in
    > > tropical jungles and snowy mountain sides, with a wealth of modern
    > equipment
    > > at your disposal. ( Expect MH47E, Littlebirds, MH60's etc etc)
    > >
    > > Codemasters are also delighted to annouce that this expansion to the
    > > original game will have full Join In Progress ability where the mission
    > > maker allows for that, as well as full backwards compatibility with the
    > > existing addon base. Tweaked MP coding will allow for VOIP in game, and
    is
    > > enhanced for 56K users.
    > >
    > > The expected release date of Flashpoint 2004 is Summer 2004.
    > >

    > > NOTE: All the above is pure conjecture on my part, and may be totally
    > > unjustified. It is based upon personal observations only, and I have no
    > ties
    > > or interests to either BIS or codemasters. I also have a rather large
    hat
    > > marinading in garlic, just in case I have to eat it.
    > >
    > > We'll soon see!
    > >
    > > TJ

  18. Archived from groups: alt.games.operation-flashpoint (More info?)

    uh oh.

    'Although Operation Flashpoint 2 was nowhere to be seen at Codemasters' E3 display, the publisher
    was proudly showing the Xbox version of the game, which ....'

    http://www.gamespot.com/xbox/action/operationflashpointcwc/preview_6028044.html

  19. Archived from groups: alt.games.operation-flashpoint (More info?)

    TJ wrote:

    > I *KNOW* there is an 'expansion' similar to what I described in the
    > works.....

    Do you think they'd sell many if there where? I was under the impression
    that all but the most die hard OFP fans had forgotten all about it now.

    I'd love this to be true but I'm just thinking it might be a little late
    for another expansion pack for OFP and there could only be a stand alone
    game if the release of OFP2 was pushed back even further :(

    --
    Mutley!! Doooooo Something!!
    Fix Outlook Express - http://flash.to/oe-quotefix/
    as recommended by your friendly neighbourhood MeltDown.
  20. Archived from groups: alt.games.operation-flashpoint (More info?)

    When you have wiped the garlic out of the corners of your mouth, take a brake and join us again on OFP please! :)

    >>> TJ<who@where.com> 16-5-04 14:48:28 >>>
    What a tasty hat..................

    The only surprise was that XBOX was delayed until autumn, when all promises
    were for it to be ready and released for E3.

    I *KNOW* there is an 'expansion' similar to what I described in the
    works.....

    chew chew chew

    "TJ" <who@where.com> wrote in message
    > Got my post edited by Suma :)
    >

    > "TJ" <who@where.com> wrote in message
    > > Well here goes, my guesstimate of the announcement Codemasters will make
    > at
    > > E3 in a couple of days time....
    > >

    > > Codemasters are pleased to release Operation Flashpoint for the XBOX,
    > which
    > > has massive graphical improvement over the original PC version, along
    with
    > > full Join in Progress Multiplayer gaming options via XBOX Live! Four new
    > > Large (Nogova Sized) Islands will be used as the basis for a 40 mission
    > > campaign following the general lines of the original 1985 campaign and
    the
    > > Resistance campaign.
    > >
    > > Codemasters are also delighted to announce the release of a new
    standalone
    > > (or possibly expansion) game, called Flashpoint 2004!
    > > Improvements in the game engine and enhancements taken from the XBOX
    > > conversion have made possible a much improved graphics engine, which
    makes
    > > the most of up to date hardware. Pixel shading, dynamic lighting and
    > higher
    > > poly models all add to the atmosphere.
    > >
    > > As for the gameplay, you take the part of Special Forces (Delta?)
    deployed
    > > worldwide to counter specific threats. You may find yourself fighting in
    > > tropical jungles and snowy mountain sides, with a wealth of modern
    > equipment
    > > at your disposal. ( Expect MH47E, Littlebirds, MH60's etc etc)
    > >
    > > Codemasters are also delighted to annouce that this expansion to the
    > > original game will have full Join In Progress ability where the mission
    > > maker allows for that, as well as full backwards compatibility with the
    > > existing addon base. Tweaked MP coding will allow for VOIP in game, and
    is
    > > enhanced for 56K users.
    > >
    > > The expected release date of Flashpoint 2004 is Summer 2004.
    > >

    > > NOTE: All the above is pure conjecture on my part, and may be totally
    > > unjustified. It is based upon personal observations only, and I have no
    > ties
    > > or interests to either BIS or codemasters. I also have a rather large
    hat
    > > marinading in garlic, just in case I have to eat it.
    > >
    > > We'll soon see!
    > >
    > > TJ

  21. Archived from groups: alt.games.operation-flashpoint (More info?)

    > > You already did. You're playing OFP on your PC, right? Did you get
    > > Windows for free?
    > >

    > Yes: I'm a part time student at a university with a M$ partnership. I
    > use windoze for games and most menial tasks. When it comes to work,
    > it's Linux and Java/c++.

    Who owns the PC you're using to play OFP?
  22. Archived from groups: alt.games.operation-flashpoint (More info?)

    > When you have wiped the garlic out of the corners of your mouth, take a
    brake and join us again on OFP please! :)

    I have recently bought meself some kit, namely 2 PCP air rifles (Air Arms
    S410 in .177 and Webley Raider in .22), and a spring Webley in .22. Oh, and
    a shotgun :)

    So I am out early most mornings helping to alleviate the vermin problems
    round here, meaning i'm dead on me feet by 21:30.........

    Oh and I also just got a new job for 28 hours per week plus im still doing
    my own business work for now.....as well as teaching my 3 nippers from 7am
    till 11am each day.......

    zzzzzzzz

    Maybe one night soon......
  23. Archived from groups: alt.games.operation-flashpoint (More info?)

    > > > You already did. You're playing OFP on your PC, right? Did you
    get
    > > > Windows for free?
    > > >

    > > Yes: I'm a part time student at a university with a M$
    partnership. I
    > > use windoze for games and most menial tasks. When it comes to
    work,
    > > it's Linux and Java/c++.
    >
    > Who owns the PC you're using to play OFP?

    Me.
  24. Archived from groups: alt.games.operation-flashpoint (More info?)

    didgerman wrote:

    > "TJ" <who@where.com> wrote in message
    >

    >>Codemasters are also delighted to announce the release of a new
    >
    > standalone
    >
    >>(or possibly expansion) game, called Flashpoint 2004!
    >>Improvements in the game engine and enhancements taken from the XBOX
    >>conversion have made possible a much improved graphics engine, which
    >
    > makes
    >
    >>the most of up to date hardware. Pixel shading, dynamic lighting and
    >
    > higher
    >
    >>poly models all add to the atmosphere.
    >

    > For xbox read 'PC in small box', so it's entirley possible that an
    > improved xbox version could be running on PC very quickly.
    > I'm still not buying an xbox though......

    Unless the bean counter determines that it is too expensive providing
    compatability over and above a 'fixed configuration' PC in a small box.
    Everyone's PC is so different that developing for it is relatively
    expensive compared to XBox (or any other console for that matter).

    If you think XBox PC compatability translates into an assured PC version
    of the game, you've got a short memory. Look how long it took to bring
    Halo out on PC. It's so late, they needn't have bothered because better
    games like FarCry and Painkiller (based on the HL2 engine) are already out.

    I don't imagine OFP would be quite so successful had it's release been
    restricted to console. I don't fancy the prospect of building a map or
    any other vehicles, weapons, addons using a game-pad controller. (BTW.
    Does halo if have mods? If so, how many? How extensive are they?)

    IMHO, the console should be the after-thought, not the PC. Comparing a
    PC to a console is like compareing a garden to a pot plant. Games grow
    much better in the garden.
  25. Archived from groups: alt.games.operation-flashpoint (More info?)

    "gingerbread man" <tk.lists@fastmail.fm> wrote in message
    > didgerman wrote:
    >
    > > "TJ" <who@where.com> wrote in message
    > >

    > >>Codemasters are also delighted to announce the release of a new
    > >
    > > standalone
    > >
    > >>(or possibly expansion) game, called Flashpoint 2004!
    > >>Improvements in the game engine and enhancements taken from the XBOX
    > >>conversion have made possible a much improved graphics engine, which
    > >
    > > makes
    > >
    > >>the most of up to date hardware. Pixel shading, dynamic lighting and
    > >
    > > higher
    > >
    > >>poly models all add to the atmosphere.
    > >

    > > For xbox read 'PC in small box', so it's entirley possible that an
    > > improved xbox version could be running on PC very quickly.
    > > I'm still not buying an xbox though......
    > >

    > Unless the bean counter determines that it is too expensive providing
    > compatability over and above a 'fixed configuration' PC in a small box.
    > Everyone's PC is so different that developing for it is relatively
    > expensive compared to XBox (or any other console for that matter).
    >
    > If you think XBox PC compatability translates into an assured PC version
    > of the game, you've got a short memory. Look how long it took to bring
    > Halo out on PC. It's so late, they needn't have bothered because better
    > games like FarCry and Painkiller (based on the HL2 engine) are already
    out.

    > I don't imagine OFP would be quite so successful had it's release been
    > restricted to console. I don't fancy the prospect of building a map or
    > any other vehicles, weapons, addons using a game-pad controller. (BTW.
    > Does halo if have mods? If so, how many? How extensive are they?)
    >
    > IMHO, the console should be the after-thought, not the PC. Comparing a
    > PC to a console is like compareing a garden to a pot plant. Games grow
    > much better in the garden.

    What your forgetting, is money. Consoles sell more games. Period. Software
    companies are there to make money, not make happy gamers. This has been the
    case for sometime and its only now as more consoles are on the market that
    its hurting PC gamers as less and less quality titles are released.
    Unfornatually the PC is now the afterthought when creating a game, the
    console is king. As sad as that sounds, its the truth.

    And its only going to get worse as more and more consoles are sold and new
    consoles appear. Im sure PC games will survive but more and more games will
    be ports from the consoles. Its a sad fact that alot of PC gamers are only
    starting to learn.

    Jackson.
  26. Archived from groups: alt.games.operation-flashpoint (More info?)

    I always am afraid that the deepness that games such as flashpoint have will be
    sacraficed.for me its not all about graphics. its little things I love about
    OPFP. the random factor such as attacking an enemy armored vehical doing some
    damage and watching the crew jump and basically say screw it and go running
    over the hills. then again sometimes they jump out, do some shooting and then
    jump back in and then drive off. little things like that i love.
  27. Archived from groups: alt.games.operation-flashpoint (More info?)

    Jackson wrote:

    > "gingerbread man" <tk.lists@fastmail.fm> wrote in message
    >
    >>didgerman wrote:
    >>

    >>>"TJ" <who@where.com> wrote in message

    >>>standalone

    >>>makes

    >>>higher

    >>>For xbox read 'PC in small box', so it's entirley possible that an
    >>>improved xbox version could be running on PC very quickly.
    >>>I'm still not buying an xbox though......
    >>>

    >>Unless the bean counter determines that it is too expensive providing
    >>compatability over and above a 'fixed configuration' PC in a small box.
    >>Everyone's PC is so different that developing for it is relatively
    >>expensive compared to XBox (or any other console for that matter).
    >>
    >>If you think XBox PC compatability translates into an assured PC version
    >>of the game, you've got a short memory. Look how long it took to bring
    >>Halo out on PC. It's so late, they needn't have bothered because better
    >>games like FarCry and Painkiller (based on the HL2 engine) are already
    >
    > out.
    >
    >>I don't imagine OFP would be quite so successful had it's release been
    >>restricted to console. I don't fancy the prospect of building a map or
    >>any other vehicles, weapons, addons using a game-pad controller. (BTW.
    >>Does halo if have mods? If so, how many? How extensive are they?)
    >>
    >>IMHO, the console should be the after-thought, not the PC. Comparing a
    >>PC to a console is like compareing a garden to a pot plant. Games grow
    >>much better in the garden.
    >

    > What your forgetting, is money. Consoles sell more games. Period. Software
    > companies are there to make money, not make happy gamers. This has been the
    > case for sometime and its only now as more consoles are on the market that
    > its hurting PC gamers as less and less quality titles are released.
    > Unfornatually the PC is now the afterthought when creating a game, the
    > console is king. As sad as that sounds, its the truth.
    >
    > And its only going to get worse as more and more consoles are sold and new
    > consoles appear. Im sure PC games will survive but more and more games will
    > be ports from the consoles. Its a sad fact that alot of PC gamers are only
    > starting to learn.
    >
    > Jackson.

    Too right. I don't mind consoles, I'll probably end up buying one when
    the next gen xBox comes out (provided it's hackable so I don't have to
    phaff around with my original disks). But I'm not happy about the
    effects that console limitations will have on future titles. Game
    interfaces will be oriented toward those stupid gamepad controllers so
    maybe a designer will decide to drop features due to too many control
    keys (or buttons as the case may be) involved. Stuff like that. Maybe
    they will drop features like an RTS mode for a potentially RTS/FPS
    hybrid game -- or at least limit the versitility of the RTS interface.
    Everything will just become more arcadey...

    Don't mean to sound like an old fart, but it's all bad news as far as I
    am concerned.
  28. Archived from groups: alt.games.operation-flashpoint (More info?)

    "Jackson" <Jackson@mail.com> wrote in message news:<53cvc.13321$XI4.464268@news.xtra.co.nz>...

    > What your forgetting, is money. Consoles sell more games. Period. Software
    > companies are there to make money, not make happy gamers. This has been the
    > case for sometime and its only now as more consoles are on the market that
    > its hurting PC gamers as less and less quality titles are released.
    > Unfornatually the PC is now the afterthought when creating a game, the
    > console is king. As sad as that sounds, its the truth.
    >
    > And its only going to get worse as more and more consoles are sold and new
    > consoles appear. Im sure PC games will survive but more and more games will
    > be ports from the consoles. Its a sad fact that alot of PC gamers are only
    > starting to learn.
    >
    > Jackson.

    there will always be PC games. consoles seem to be more glamerous i
    guess because keeping a pc up to date is at times expensive and time
    consuming while keeping a console up to date only requires u buying 1.
    PC games r also alot cheaper to produce than console games. i think
    its easier to get a licence for a pc game and with console games u
    have to be totally sure that the game wont have any bugs on release as
    u cant just patch it like u can with PC games. i admit its easier to
    play on console and i enjoy playing some console games but PC games
    with always have more freedom and endless possibilities.
  29. Archived from groups: alt.games.operation-flashpoint (More info?)

    Actually it is easier to program/develop on a console, because of the
    consitant hardware and software (OS if you will)

    There are less bugs because you know exactly what hardware is available and
    what software

    "[RM]Wolfy" <thenomeaningnofx@hotmail.com> wrote in message
    > "Jackson" <Jackson@mail.com> wrote in message
    >
    > > What your forgetting, is money. Consoles sell more games. Period.
    Software
    > > companies are there to make money, not make happy gamers. This has been
    the
    > > case for sometime and its only now as more consoles are on the market
    that
    > > its hurting PC gamers as less and less quality titles are released.
    > > Unfornatually the PC is now the afterthought when creating a game, the
    > > console is king. As sad as that sounds, its the truth.
    > >
    > > And its only going to get worse as more and more consoles are sold and
    new
    > > consoles appear. Im sure PC games will survive but more and more games
    will
    > > be ports from the consoles. Its a sad fact that alot of PC gamers are
    only
    > > starting to learn.
    > >
    > > Jackson.
    >
    > there will always be PC games. consoles seem to be more glamerous i
    > guess because keeping a pc up to date is at times expensive and time
    > consuming while keeping a console up to date only requires u buying 1.
    > PC games r also alot cheaper to produce than console games. i think
    > its easier to get a licence for a pc game and with console games u
    > have to be totally sure that the game wont have any bugs on release as
    > u cant just patch it like u can with PC games. i admit its easier to
    > play on console and i enjoy playing some console games but PC games
    > with always have more freedom and endless possibilities.
  30. Archived from groups: alt.games.operation-flashpoint (More info?)

    gingerbread man wrote:

    > If you think XBox PC compatability translates into an assured PC
    > version of the game, you've got a short memory. Look how long it took
    > to bring Halo out on PC.

    Aehm, Halo was a PC game. MS bought it to have something exclusive for
    the xbox, so ppl would buy it. The reason that halo took so long until
    it was available for the pc was not the porting, it was because MS had
    the rights for halo and wanted to keep it exclusive for the xbox.
    cu,

    Markus

Games Video Games