D975XBX2 - First Build - Few Issues

Intelover

Distinguished
Apr 9, 2007
Hi Guys,

First post so, please bear with me. Just finished my first ever build and it was so much fun. I did a lot of reaserch and decided on all the components which are ... D975XBX2, E6600, Mushkin 800 (2X1 Gig), HP DVD, Benq DVD, Seagate 320GB 7200RPM 16MB, ATI X1950 PRO 256MB, Sony Floppy, Super-Talent All-in-one card reader, Enermax 500W power supply, CoolerMaster Mystique 623u case, Geniune XP Pro with SP2 and Samsung 226BW monitor.

I have a few issues that I need your help with, so here goes...
1) HDD is 320 GB but is recognized as 295GB?
2) Device Manager has an yellow "?" mark for something to do with PCI, can't figure what..
3) The floppy drive LED is always on, what's with that...
4) How to setup my ATI card?
5) Get this weird Marvel post error as "No Hard Drive detected".
6) The Marvel error goes if I disable the secondry sata controller in BiOS but then the HDD LED is constantly on, any fixes for this?

I would sincerely appreciate if you can please help me.

cutthroat

Distinguished
Apr 13, 2004
I can answer a few....

1. The HDD manufacturer says a GB is 1000MB, Windows says 1024MB. It's always been like that.

2. You're missing a driver, maybe #6, install the drivers on your motherboard driver disk.

4. Install the ATI drivers from thier website, use thier control panel to set it up to your liking.

5 & 6. You might have the boot order set up wrong, it might be trying to boot from the Marvel controller, but you have your HDD's plugged into a different controller. You may have your HDD activity light polarity backwards.

Intelover

Distinguished
Apr 9, 2007
I can answer a few....

1. The HDD manufacturer says a GB is 1000MB, Windows says 1024MB. It's always been like that.

2. You're missing a driver, maybe #6, install the drivers on your motherboard driver disk.

4. Install the ATI drivers from thier website, use thier control panel to set it up to your liking.

5 & 6. You might have the boot order set up wrong, it might be trying to boot from the Marvel controller, but you have your HDD's plugged into a different controller. You may have your HDD activity light polarity backwards.

Thanks for your quick response.
The HDD capacity I can understand but I have already installed all drivers and updated the BiOS to the latest version from Intel support site. The boot order I have is CD/DVD, HDD, Floppy, do I need to change something here?... I have only my HDD (SATA) in the (black) SATA socket (0) and I 'am not even using the blue (Marvel) socket at all.
The HDD Light is ok if the Secondry SATA controller is enabled in BiOS but if I disable it, the HDD light is always on.. I really do not know what is causing that. I read on some other forum that its something to do with the bios and I 'am really lost.

mlk75811

Distinguished
Jun 22, 2007
When you connected your HDD, did you put it the blue or the black SATA port? Did you install the blue AND/OR the black floppy discs drivers? You spoke of having only one HDD drive, these drivers (blue and black floppy) are for the raid (two or more HDD's) configeration only. If you are plugged into the blue port (Marvel) on the motherboard, plug into the first black (Intel) one.
I also heard of the light always on thing. Go to the Intel site and download the update bios for this fix if it does not go away. There are different updates, read what they are for. Copy it to a floppy or thumb drive. You will need to restart the machine and install the update. The Intel site will tell you when and how to install it.
Try swapping the ports on the motherboard first.
I have not put this one together yet. Still buying parts one at a time. If you already fixed this, please reply back. I would like to know about as many different problems and fixes as possable.
Enjoy, it is fun