fusion_spare

Distinguished
Apr 9, 2007
Hi.
I am having a problem installing vista.... well any OS onto this system I have just built

With vista premium oem the disk is not found in the cd drive ? .. I swap the disk to win2000pro or XP pro and it finds the disk I set to boot to cd to install in the bios .... I press enter to proceed with install... it then tells me i have no hard disks are installed in system.

Asus Stricker extreme
2-sata WD Rapter 150
2 gig OCZ FLEX PC2-9200 1150mHz watercooled
Dual core intel e6300 watercooled
kandalf LCS
Twintech 8800gts oc editon 640mb
Enermax infinity 720w psu
oem IDE/ pata cd drive

Can this be a bios issue related to the use of an ide cd drive to instal windows ?

Thx Dave

fusion_spare

Distinguished
Apr 9, 2007
Well im new to sata disks and raid 0 set ups coming from asus p4t and a p4 1.4 rim ram qhich working fine still today but..... i think i missed something simple i asuumed that with raid 0 out of the packet new disks missed the format process ....so i just woke up thinking do i need to format these before raid 0 striping as this stricker motherboard does it for u in the bios ... This bios has so many new options overclockings gonna be a mine field

Any help guys

Dave

occdavid

Distinguished
Jan 5, 2007
It sounds like you have 2 problems with your vista install. First one I caught was the Vista CD is not a CD - its a DVD so you need a DVD-rom drive at the least. (someone correct me if I'm wrong)

Then I think you found using the XP CD (this is a CD which is why it works in your drive) you found that no HD is found. Which points to a Bios setting not correct. Not sure on the Striker - but you will need to set HD's to Raid, set boot order to CD (or DVD when you get one for Vista), second boot device should be the Array.
Then in the Raid bios create the 0 array with the 2 drives and some let you mark it as "bootable"

Jeff - that's funny - I can just see it, pulls the cushion out and "hey - there's my Raptor, I've been looking for that" - "and 50 cents too"

fusion_spare

Distinguished
Apr 9, 2007
Thanks occ David u solved one of my problems yes its a dvd disk I just pull one out of this PC dropped it in and it was sorted.

The other is quiet strange as my raptor drives dont show up on the boot screen but i can find them as raid 0 in the bois menu , I raid zeroed them there and made them bootable in the bios raid screen.... then i noticed they had disappeared from the boot screen... not sure if i can undo the raid 0 and see if they reappear... I need to find someone with stricker experience.

David

cutthroat

Distinguished
Apr 13, 2004
In your boot order you need to set your DVD first, then your RAID array. When Windows XP is loading files it will ask you to press F6 to load 3rd party SCSI & RAID drivers, press F6, a bit later it will ask you to load any RAID drivers you have. With Vista it's a bit different, I've only done it once, at some point near the beginning of the install it will also give you an option to load the RAID drivers. If I remember correctly it was in the same spot as the partition manager.

proof

Distinguished
Oct 16, 2006
Asus Stricker extreme
2-sata WD Rapter 150
2 gig OCZ FLEX PC2-9200 1150mHz watercooled
Dual core intel e6300 watercooled
kandalf LCS
Twintech 8800gts oc editon 640mb
Enermax infinity 720w psu
oem IDE/ pata cd drive

Hmmm, I think I have found your problem. It seems that you have paid too much for a motherboard that is an eVGA motherboard with some extra bling. It also appears that you have spent unecessary money on a factory overclocked card when you could have done it for free at home. Oh my, it looks like you unwisely spent money on a liquid cooled case for components that do not need to liquid cool...

fusion_spare

Distinguished
Apr 9, 2007
Hi proof well your off topic but i will reply

Firstly the oc card was the cheepest alternative available in my location plus it has enough ram which the 300mg version was far to low (not needing 700 plus to play ARMA).
The case is a wonderfull case large silent and very sexy indeed and most of all upgradable when much later on i buy the processor that you intend to buy & for the fraction of the cost you are about to pay. i will need it ( I have seen your other post)
The mother board well from all I have read they all have there problems but Asus have never let me down and by far my p4t and p4t-e rigs run so well and fast that with the 2 gig of rim ram i have in them and the 7800 gs agp n71 chip stiill competes when i play OFP

Liquid cooling for me becomes more important when in italy it reachs 40 plus degrees in the summer and I intend to overlock this e6300 to 3.3mgh including the timings for the already high 1150 mgh ram which is also cooled and as i have never had a cooled system ( and half the fun is having and building) I will let you know what difference it makes , but from the tech sites that have built my kandalf system they report a big drop in temperature compared to air cooled versions

http://www.tweaknews.net/reviews/kandalflcs/index6.php

If you have any kind thoughts to help me with my problem I would be so gratfull and best wishes with your purchase of your new system

David

proof

Distinguished
Oct 16, 2006
Hmmm... You make very good points.

1) The case is very sexy indeed.
2) More memory on the GTS OC, fair enough.
3) Liquid Cooling in hot weather, good idea.
4) ASUS has never let me down either.

Suggestions:
1) Get a passive radiator in addition to whatever radiator you are using currently and use a 120v fan to blow air on it for a temperature drop of a few degrees. Every little bit helps.
2) Make sure you have 3/8" fittings as that is the size of the barb on the OCZ RAM. If you are using 1/2" (which I recomend) then your flow will be somewhat restricted near the RAM.
3) Maybe put in a small loop for the RAM?

fusion_spare

Distinguished
Apr 9, 2007
Hi proof..

The stricker board comes with a addtional cooler for the chipset when no pc fan is used the ram is looped in and so far im getting only 27 drees from the processor so no flow problem as of yet.

And i hate to tell you this but... when i ordred and paid for my case which was expensive .....um well listen to this my supplier sent me two by mistake unreal !!!!!....and when i ordered 2 rartors from another supplier they gave me 50 euros price lower than anybody else ive found on the net (i asked for price match and they beat it by 30 euros.....seems they were clearing stock and when I opened them they were both Raptor X's...so price wise im very happy.

Dave

fusion_spare

Distinguished
Apr 9, 2007
Well thnx to all who posted and watched.... In the end i followed cuthroats advice and tracked down the bios settings that were missing/wrong

Windows vista picked up the raid 0 Partition and it loaded all as hoped .... now tomorow i will do the updates after work and see if i need to start a new thread in the vista section lol.. :lol:

Thanks again

Dave