Sign in with
Your question

Best vid card for $200 or less

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
April 9, 2007 7:26:48 PM

I am looking at the ATI X1950XT which seems pretty nice, only downside is it is only directx9.

Is this card recommended or already obsolete due to directx10 on windows vista?

More about : vid card 200

April 9, 2007 7:30:36 PM

Obsolete? Hardly...and won't be for a while.
Related resources
April 9, 2007 7:54:22 PM

The X1950 XT will not be obsolete for a couple years, probably.
April 9, 2007 7:58:53 PM

It wouldn't hurt to wait until ATi releases there new midrange series of gpu's this may. You could get better performance for the same price and at the same time getting a dx10 capable card. The X1950XT is a fine card but new cards are literally right around the corner. Your close enough its one of those times where it wouldn't hurt to wait.
a b U Graphics card
April 9, 2007 8:01:56 PM

Quote:
It wouldn't hurt to wait until ATi releases there new midrange series of gpu's this may. You could get better performance for the same price and at the same time getting a dx10 capable card. The X1950XT is a fine card but new cards are literally right around the corner. Your close enough its one of those times where it wouldn't hurt to wait.

Unfortunately, if ATI's DX10 midrange is a 128-bit like expected, the X1950XT will spank it, meaning you'll get less performance for more money. My vote is a $200 X1950XT now.
April 9, 2007 11:11:33 PM

Quote:
I am looking at the ATI X1950XT which seems pretty nice, only downside is it is only directx9.

If you're in a hurry and don't want to wait for mid range dx10 cards to come out, then I highly recommend you spend $60 and get the 320 mb version of the 8800 GTS:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

Not only does it perform better than a 1950XT, but it's dx10 compatible. So the $60 more is a wise investment.
April 10, 2007 3:08:33 AM

Well by midrange i guess i was more referring to a 8800GTS 320mb counterpart. Basically the X1950XT replacement, it will no doubt be more expensive than the $200 price point that one X1950XT on newegg is at right now but it could move other cards down in price, including the X1950XT. If the need is not that great to buy now it could save a few bucks or open up more options. Regardless of what the rumors are for ATi midrange it will wouldn't hurt to see what performance they will bring. I mean there hasn't been very concrete info on these cards yet so it'll be interesting when they're released.
April 10, 2007 8:14:27 AM

I was actually just recently in the same position as you, and ended up popping a little over budget for the 8800GTS 320Mb for $250 after rebate. Killer at that price.

Unfortunately, I was hoping the 8600GTS to be a steal at the 200 dollar mark, but it's a semi-letdown. You could wait til May for the mid-range ATI part and most likely see price drops in other areas, but depending on how often you upgrade and considering how far off DX10 games are, the X1950XT is still very attractive.
April 10, 2007 1:39:55 PM

Hell.. my 9800proSE (128MB) card still does just fine. Unfortunately for me, "just fine" isn't good enough, and I'm starting to get a lot of money burning a hole in my pocket ;) .
April 10, 2007 3:57:12 PM

thanks for the advice guys.

I usually update my system every 2-3 years. I think my current Card (X800Pro 256mb) I've had for close to 2 years now.

But I'm planning to do a complete overhaul of my system including CPU, MOBO and RAM, that is why I really don't want to go over $200 so I can keep withing budget for the other parts.

The 8800GTS seems kinda attractive, I guess I could save $60 more if it is that good.

but I have a couple other questions.

What about the 8600GT how good is this card? and what will be the price?

same with the ati r600, how good is this and what will be price?

and when are these 2 cards coming out? I guess prices of cards will drop by then? and probably even the 8800GTS will drop some more when those come out?

and do those 2 cards compare with the Ati 1950xt???

thanks for the replies guys.
April 10, 2007 5:17:30 PM

it goes 8800GTS>X1950XT>(ATi midrange R6x0 & 8600GTS)

The card to look for would be something comparable to ATi's X1950XT 256mb in the new series, something comparable to the 8800GTS 320mb. IF ATi introduces a very card competitive to that card you could see a drop in prices for the 8800GTS 320mb if ATi brings them in at very competitive prices.

LOTS of IFs but i'd wait, i mean 3 months ago i wouldn't have, but its getting real close right now.
April 10, 2007 5:48:22 PM

cool, thanks for that info.

how long do yiou think I should wait for? by when will the newer cards come out?
April 10, 2007 6:07:07 PM

What processor and power supply do you have?
April 10, 2007 6:18:11 PM

New cards should be out in May.
April 10, 2007 6:29:29 PM

Quote:

Only suckers are buying DX10 cards and Vista. It's will be serveral years before their are DX10 games and the bugs are fixed in Vista.
By then DX 10 cards will be alot cheaper.
I just built a core2duo E6600 system with a sapphire x1950xt and it runs HL2 lost coast 230-300 fps.
April 10, 2007 6:33:59 PM

Quote:

Only suckers are buying DX10 cards and Vista. It's will be serveral years before their are DX10 games and the bugs are fixed in Vista.

That could be one the most ignorant statements i've seen this week.
Just because you are buying a DX10 card does not mean you have Vista. Its just the fact that these new DX10 cards have come out with a new generation of graphic cards and they are providing superior performance in all DX9 games.

In several years there will be talk of the new Windows OS, Vista should be patched up and ready to go after SP1. DX10 games are coming out this summer and of course you should not pay more for a DX10 card when your not going to use it for its full features or when it does not deliver anymore performance.
April 10, 2007 6:44:13 PM

Quote:
What processor and power supply do you have?

currently a 430watt Thermaltake PSU, i got from newegg.

My CPU is AMD XP 2500+, which I will upgrade at the same time I buy a new Video Cards, probably for a Core 2 Duo.
April 10, 2007 6:59:04 PM

Thermaltake makes good PSUs, but with those upgrades, I would definately recommend a higher rated PSU if you are looking at an 8800GTX or the higher end r600s. It *should* be ok for the x1950XTX.... but if you have any ambition to replace it at all, I definately wouldn't hesitate to if I were you.
April 10, 2007 10:07:22 PM

A X1950XTX draws just as much power as a 8800GTX (LINK)

As far as the 8800GTS and X1950XT i would still recommend something a little beefier. I have a Corsair HX520W, a little pricey, but its modular and is completely quiet. With 40A on the 12V Rail it will power any single current graphic cards, and unless the new ATi cards go off the Richter scale it will be able to power them too.
April 10, 2007 10:44:13 PM

"That could be one the most ignorant statements i've seen this week.
Just because you are buying a DX10 card does not mean you have Vista. Its just the fact that these new DX10 cards have come out with a new generation of graphic cards and they are providing superior performance in all DX9 games".

"In several years there will be talk of the new Windows OS, Vista DX10 should be patched up and ready to go after SP1. DX10 games are coming out this summer and of course you should not pay more for a DX10 card when your not going to use it for its full features or when it does not deliver anymore performance.[/quote]"

Should have kept your mouth shut, but no you have to prove to everyone one you’re a retard.
Why would someone spend all the extra money on DX10 card and not take advantage of DX10 programming that will only be available in Vista.
You are probably one of those kinds that would spend $20,000 on a hot race motor and put on a stand in their garage so everyone could oooh and ahhh and say, I don't have anything to put it in but it sure looks cool on that stand.
"Vista should be patched up and ready to go after SP"1.
6yrs later they are still patching XP.
"DX10 games are coming out"
2-3 games big deal, there will be no switch to DX10 games until enough people have the DX10 hardware to run them which won't be for quite awhile, Hmmm lets see, as game publisher am I going to lose millions of dollars by releasing a DX10 games because very few people have the hardware and software to run them and only a few will sell, or DX9 where millions have the hardware and I'll make millions of $$$
Any care to nominate this one for noble peace prize in finance
a b U Graphics card
April 10, 2007 10:56:56 PM

Quote:
currently a 430watt Thermaltake PSU, i got from newegg

Ouch, if that's the same one I bought cheap on Newegg, it has a single wimpy 18 amp 12v rail. I can't seem to find a use for mine as it's underpowered for even an X1650 pro. Anway, don't even try that thing in a X19x0 or GF8800 system.
April 11, 2007 1:40:57 PM

at newegg there is and $80 difference between the 1950XT and the 8800GT, is that big price difference worth it for the Nvidia card?

just want to make sure before I take the plunge in may.
April 11, 2007 2:16:15 PM

Yes. The 8800 GTS is quite a bit better than the X1950XT.
April 11, 2007 5:17:47 PM

It's quite funny how ignorant you seem to be. How many people out there have high resolution monitors that were begging for a more powerful graphics card to run oblivion, and finally they had their answer with the 8800 series, the only series of graphic cards that can run oblivion at much better frame rates at high resolution. Right now DX10 means nothing but what does that have to do with the much superior performance that the 8800s bring. Regardless of whether they are dx10 or not there performance alone justifies the price they bring.

DX10 games will be able to run DX9 and DX10 just like all games in the past have done. Obviously no game publisher would release a game solely based on DX10. Those 2-3 games your talking about the ones on leading the way, those are the new high end games that everyone is talking about.

You have a long way to go before you completely understand what is going on here.
April 11, 2007 6:06:58 PM

Quote:
That could be one the most ignorant statements i've seen this week.
Just because you are buying a DX10 card does not mean you have Vista. Its just the fact that these new DX10 cards have come out with a new generation of graphic cards and they are providing superior performance in all DX9 games".

"In several years there will be talk of the new Windows OS, Vista DX10 should be patched up and ready to go after SP1. DX10 games are coming out this summer and of course you should not pay more for a DX10 card when your not going to use it for its full features or when it does not deliver anymore performance.

Should have kept your mouth shut, but no you have to prove to everyone one you’re a retard.
Why would someone spend all the extra money on DX10 card and not take advantage of DX10 programming that will only be available in Vista.
You are probably one of those kinds that would spend $20,000 on a hot race motor and put on a stand in their garage so everyone could oooh and ahhh and say, I don't have anything to put it in but it sure looks cool on that stand.
"Vista should be patched up and ready to go after SP"1.
6yrs later they are still patching XP.
DX10 games are coming out 2-3 games big deal, there will be no switch to DX10 games until enough people have the DX10 hardware to run them which won't be for quite awhile, Hmmm lets see, as game publisher am I going to lose millions of dollars by releasing a DX10 games because very few people have the hardware and software to run them and only a few will sell, or DX9 where millions have the hardware and I'll make millions of $$$
Any care to nominate this one for noble peace prize in finance

Hmm...

Well first thing is OF COURSE they would keep patching Windows XP 6 years after it was made... to not update security would be rather rediculous wouldn't you think?

As for games, these games (to start) aren't going to be DirectX10 only, that would be stupid, and publishers know that. (Read why Vanguard Saga of Heroes switching publishers from Microsoft to Sony)

I'm just pointing some information out... but I'm sure you're going to jump all over this post and tell me how stupid/ignorant I am.
April 11, 2007 7:43:06 PM

Quote:

I just built a core2duo E6600 system with a sapphire x1950xt and it runs HL2 lost coast 230-300 fps.

:roll: :roll: :roll:
!