Sign in with
Your question

Heatsink/thermal paste

Last response: in CPUs
April 9, 2007 7:29:25 PM

I have had to remove my previously installed CPU from a defective motherboard, and some of the thermal paste that was on the heatsink has spread onto the CPU itself. Before putting it into a new board, should I wipe the paste from the CPU and reapply new paste or can I just leave it as is? I am not planning on overclocking this system.

Thanks

More about : heatsink thermal paste

April 9, 2007 7:47:23 PM

reapply new paste, you can use a credit card or something like that to remove old paste.
April 9, 2007 7:51:19 PM

The paste is supposed to be on the Heatsink AND the upper face of the CPU where it makes contact with the Heatsink.

If you have got it on any other part, just wipe it off with a paper towel.

If however, it is hard or messy, clean it all off and thinly apply fresh paste. :D 
Related resources
April 9, 2007 9:49:23 PM

So if I have to put the CPU back in the box for a few weeks before I can get a new board, will the paste need to be reapplied?
April 9, 2007 9:59:02 PM

Quote:
So if I have to put the CPU back in the box for a few weeks before I can get a new board, will the paste need to be reapplied?

Yes. What you really need to do is buy some Arctic Silver 5 or Arctic Ceramique off of Newegg. Use isopropyl (rubbing) alcohol with q-tips to clean off the old thermal paste from BOTH the bottom of the heatsink and the top of the CPU. When you get your replacement motherboard, seat the CPU onto it, apply the new thermal paste as directed on Arctic's website, and re-seat your heatsink.
April 9, 2007 10:03:30 PM

Allright-thanks.
April 9, 2007 10:46:46 PM

or Acetone (nail polish)
April 9, 2007 10:47:22 PM

or vodka
April 9, 2007 11:07:11 PM

Is there any difference between

ARCTIC SILVER 5 THERMAL COMPOUND

and
ARCTIC SILVER 5 THERMAL PASTE

Or which is better?
April 9, 2007 11:25:15 PM

Or Arctic Clean.
April 10, 2007 8:19:00 PM

A lot of people use nail polish REMOVER :D 

NOT NAIL POLISH! :?
April 10, 2007 8:45:07 PM

Quote:
Is there any difference between

ARCTIC SILVER 5 THERMAL COMPOUND

and
ARCTIC SILVER 5 THERMAL PASTE

Or which is better?

I know the stuff on the bottom is right, not so sure about the stuff on top.
April 10, 2007 9:09:46 PM

Thermal compound and Thermal paste are essentially the same stuff. Artic is the worlds best, followed by Antec and others. :D 

Arctic Clean sounds like Thermal paste remover :? - like nail polish remover, only the proper stuff.

Hope you get yourself sorted out. If you're having this much trouble with the CPU TIM, imagine what exciting challenges you will face with the rest of your computer :D 
April 10, 2007 10:02:00 PM

Or rubbing alcohol, which is more freely on hand...
April 10, 2007 10:40:46 PM

And rubbing alcohol is around a $1 at Walgreens or CVS, and doesn't cost any shipping or involve any waiting.
April 11, 2007 1:59:19 AM

I smell a review coming on...
April 11, 2007 2:26:18 AM

Dario would murder you if you went for anything less than custom.
April 11, 2007 2:31:05 AM

*Goes right over his head*

You know watercooling better than I do, so you should know what to do. Don't think I'll be much help.
April 11, 2007 2:48:07 AM

*Insert standard monosyllabic affirmative response... otherwise known as "Hnn"*
April 11, 2007 2:56:26 AM

Hnn.
April 11, 2007 3:20:28 AM

This thread has been officially hijacked by DaClan
April 11, 2007 10:58:19 AM

Quote:

If you still have the clear plastic cover, put it over the bottom of the heatsink. Keep the CPU carefully. When you rebuild, clean off and apply fresh paste. :D 
April 11, 2007 11:10:16 AM

Quote:
Thermal compound and Thermal paste are essentially the same stuff. Artic is the worlds best, followed by Antec and others. :D 

Arctic Clean sounds like Thermal paste remover :? - like nail polish remover, only the proper stuff.

Hope you get yourself sorted out. If you're having this much trouble with the CPU TIM, imagine what exciting challenges you will face with the rest of your computer :D 

But when buying a new HSF for OC, ist ok or advisable to use the provided thermal paste or grease of the HSF or use other thermal paste like Arctic Silver 5?
April 11, 2007 12:24:17 PM

AS5 is the most "known" thermal paste available, but there are better products now. If you are going to leave the CPU running @ stock speed or even for a mild overclock, almost any paste will do (that includes AS5, or the provided one). But if you are going to overclock hardly then you need the best you can get, and that includes Shin Etsu, or Coollaboratory Liquid Pro
April 11, 2007 1:34:28 PM

Nothing to be sorry about Tacos, it was almost fun (almost) :p 
April 11, 2007 1:51:44 PM

To be fair with AS, it has been several years since it was introduced in the market, so I guess they are in the top of mind of people who wants a thermal paste. Also AS5 is better than the thermal compound included with the retail CPU's, so people INDEED could see an improvement compared to that.

But as has been said, reviewed a lot and proved, AS5 is not the best thermal compound, even not the 2nd best. Coollaboratory or Shin Etsu are far ahead. The Tuniq paste included with the Tower, or the Zalman paste included with their coolers will do the same job as AS5.

About the Ceramique, if I'm not mistaken has been around for a while too, and people uses mostly in video cards, because is not conductive and can be used in the RAM chips without risk. As far as I know, AS5 is better for CPU's.
April 11, 2007 2:26:28 PM

for best results you should clean off the previous paste and apply a new batch
April 11, 2007 2:27:40 PM

Quote:
most other reviews cost a lot

No kidding...
!