New Computer - want to get card after purchase

SMITHSONGA

Distinguished
Feb 18, 2006
Question: The computer I am looking to get has horrible video card choices. I want to buy my own card and install after purchase. The cheapest option is the integrated graphics setup...is there an issue buying that setup and then installing my own card? Is the motherboard different etc?
Other option is to choose the cheapest card vs. integrated.

thx
Jim

kaotao

Distinguished
Apr 26, 2006
2 very important things to consider. PSU, and available expansion slots. Need more info like the specs of the PC you're buying.

SMITHSONGA

Distinguished
Feb 18, 2006
Ok, it is a Dell E520. E6400 processor.

I initially spec'd out a XPS 410 with E6600 processor and 7900GS card but there are minimal discount codes for XPS. I can get the above E520 for $600 less and then get my own video card...main sacrifice is processor.

I do not know the PSU wattage, but it is a Vista Premium, 2Gb ram...planned on the ATI Theater 650 Pro TV card.

Thoughts or other ideas?

Per above, gaming (Dell 2007WFP monitor) and some movies/TV. NOT main viewing etc.

cleeve

Illustrious
For gaming, the difference between an e6400 and e6600 cpu would be imperceptible.

You're much better off using the cash toward a better videocard, from a gaming standpoint. A better videocard will make a large impact in frameates, unlike the difference between the e6400 and e6600.

Going to need a good PSU though.

darkangelism

Distinguished
Oct 31, 2006
you can add a video card to the system, the 305w is not peak wattage, it is 22amps but not as good as the 375w in the 410 which is 29 amps, so you could probably get a 7600 or so in the system. maybe a 7900 but probably not more then that. the motherboard is the same

SMITHSONGA

Distinguished
Feb 18, 2006
Wow. OK. maybe I will stick with the XPS410 and bit the bullet. the Outlet had crap...at least the current inventory.

Here are the options/balance I can play:

Base XPS410 is with a E6300 processor. +$45 for E6400 or +$135 for E6600

Base XPS410 has a 7300LE video card. +$180 for 256mb 7900GS or +$675 for 768mb 8800GTX

Thoughts on which processor and which video card? Do I opt out of their video card choices and get one after?

This computer is for day to day personal use...so gaming and some TV...then photo editting, email, internet etc...

thx
Jim

I would get the E6300 and 7900GS. Best bang for your buck at the moment. Otherwise, you risk too much going with the E520. It may not have a PCI-E slot with integrated and upgrades are limited with that PSU. Check the outlet again. I swear I saw a 410 with an E6300 and 7900GS and a good HDD for like 800 bucks. Came with VISTA. It only had 1 gig of RAM but you could upgrade that yourself for less than what Dell wants. My 2 cents.

darkangelism

Distinguished
Oct 31, 2006
the power supply supports an 880GTX(on the 410) so you are not limited on that side, itys cheaper to upgrade after, but it wont be supported by dell support, so it depends on how important that is to you.

Which PSU supports the GTX? The 410, yes. The E520 only has 22 amps which is well short of the 28 needed for a GTX. What I was saying is that the E520 is the more limiting of the two. Yes, you are correct. Any outside upgrades will not be covered and will in fact void the warranty.

SMITHSONGA

Distinguished
Feb 18, 2006
thanks Guys

I am going to check the outlet more closely first...then look new again.

I have never bought more than Dell's 1 year warranty as I find even it is lacking. If something is going to go dead, it will do it soon. Besides, you have to talk to Dell support a dozen times before they are willing to do anything.

Any recommendations of other smaller computer manufacturers that offer good systems at good prices? The other typical ones seemed much more $$$. Some had a HUGE array of options...like 20 different mother board choices...!

Jim

trooper1947

Distinguished
Apr 11, 2007
You better talk to the sales rep and get a 600-750 watt power supply ! And a dual video card motherboard ! The processor can be upgraded later as they drop in price . And for god's sakes don't buy a non-directx 10 video card at any price ! Surely don't pay that fortune for crossfired dual non dx10 cards . They'll be completely obsolete in 9 months to a year maximum. Get minumum ram and upgrade to 3 gigs at newegg ..... remember vista won't recgnize or use over 3 gigs ! NO MATTER WHAT YOU TRY OR ANYONE TELLS YOU it won't recognize over 3 or use it . Plus buy a Gateway instead of a dell ! Take the discount for getting integrated and put it towards a video card you install . Don't get those factory installed non-directx video cards !

tet91

Distinguished
Apr 9, 2007
You better talk to the sales rep and get a 600-750 watt power supply ! And a dual video card motherboard ! The processor can be upgraded later as they drop in price . And for god's sakes don't buy a non-directx 10 video card at any price ! Surely don't pay that fortune for crossfired dual non dx10 cards . They'll be completely obsolete in 9 months to a year maximum. Get minumum ram and upgrade to 3 gigs at newegg ..... remember vista won't recgnize or use over 3 gigs ! NO MATTER WHAT YOU TRY OR ANYONE TELLS YOU it won't recognize over 3 or use it . Plus buy a Gateway instead of a dell ! Take the discount for getting integrated and put it towards a video card you install . Don't get those factory installed non-directx video cards !

Sorry mate but a 7900GS will NOT be completely obsolete in 9-12months thats impossible. Just look at the situation, there are currently no directX10 games out and the ones that are coming out or that have patches coming out for them are coded for DirectX9 as well. Developers can't just make games DX10 because not enough people will have DX10 GFX when it first becomes mid range, and they would lose loadsa money because people won't be able to buy their games.

I am about to upgrade my PC, but for the next couple of weeks i still have a BFG 6600 and that still works fine. Games like rFactor are still optimized for DX7 even. So no offense but that comment was wrong