Memory/Overclocking and timings

highchris

Distinguished
Mar 28, 2007
Hello,

i currently purchased a set of 2gb (2x1gb) PC6400 800mhz memory with timings

5-5-5-15 2t

Now, I was using 4x 512mb with timings 4-6-8-18 or something similar (533MHz overclocked to 800MHz).

I have noticed absolutely NO changes in games, benchmarks or any other program.

Is it safe to say that relaxed settings bear too minimal changes to spend the money on "better performing" memory?

I would like to know your opinion. In my opinion it was a waste of $.

I will gain adding the additional 1gb from the left overs and relax the settings for the memory.

Thoughts?

Mondoman

Splendid
Since the 2x1GB RAM is running under very similar/speed timings, I wouldn't have expected to see a noticeable change. However, having 3GB total will help under Windows, and especially under Vista.

highchris

Distinguished
Mar 28, 2007
For some reason i can only see 2.5gb on vista and on xp.

How much ram are you seeing?? bios sees full.. Seeing that you have more or less same specs as me... Maybe you can solve that riddle.

I have tried the /3gb and what not.

AdamBomb42

Distinguished
Dec 7, 2006
For now, on most application, anything over 2 Gigs is an overkill and a waste. Unless your working in photoshop while transcoding a video, compressing files, and playing Oblivion all at the same time on vista.

RichPLS

Champion
FYI I poted this in another thread... not got reply yet..

I have an Asus P5B Deluxe WiFi mobo and am OCng the E6600 using Corsair XMS2 DDR SPD rated timings at 5-5-5-15 TRC 30 up to 533MHz.
Anywho, I am OCng 334MHz x 9 at a 1:1 = 3,006MHz at 1.45volts with timings at 3-3-3-8 TRC25 and it is stable running TAT and Orthos and SuperPI.

Questions:
Is this unusual to get such low timings from rather loose SPD programed timings?

Is there anything I should worry about?

Will the board degrade any way due to such tight timings?

I am also worried a bit about if possibly the memory might spit out more errors as a result of this setting...

RichPLS

Champion
Well I did with the time between tests about 2 weeks apart. I was not doing it but for my own interests. If you do a quick Google search, you will find reviews stating to what they measured, using more strict protocol and repetitive tests and as such I just recalled my brief experience, your mileage may vary.

kwalker

Distinguished
May 3, 2006
FYI I poted this in another thread... not got reply yet..

I have an Asus P5B Deluxe WiFi mobo and am OCng the E6600 using Corsair XMS2 DDR SPD rated timings at 5-5-5-15 TRC 30 up to 533MHz.
Anywho, I am OCng 334MHz x 9 at a 1:1 = 3,006MHz at 1.45volts with timings at 3-3-3-8 TRC25 and it is stable running TAT and Orthos and SuperPI.

Questions:
Is this unusual to get such low timings from rather loose SPD programed timings?

Is there anything I should worry about?

Will the board degrade any way due to such tight timings?

I am also worried a bit about if possibly the memory might spit out more errors as a result of this setting...

For some reason the CAS 3 timings on the P5B Dlx board looses bandwidth and in time will spit out errors (usually registry coruption after a BSOD)
the drop in bandwidth is really noticable at over 400FSB
I dont think the motherboard will suffer any ills although it will revert to 1X PCI Exp lane width instead of 16X with any error in the FSB or extreeme northbridge voltage. then the system just needs a reset.
I posted this a few months ago with screenshots Im just too lazy to dig it up :wink:
You will also get a better overclock and higher FSB with CAS4

the best bandwidth is around 400 FSB 1:1 DDR2 800 or 4:5 DDR2 1000.

AdamBomb42

Distinguished
Dec 7, 2006
I play bf2 and bf2142 on vista and I don't see my ram get anywhere near 2gb. Oblivion gets my ram up to 70% load, that's the highest that I've seen it.