[TAT] C2D high temps???

nunya

Distinguished
Oct 13, 2004
Ran TAT in monitor mode while playing CoH, temps according to that are reaching upwards of 70c. Should I consider a new cooling option. The have been crashing and can't figure out why.

C2D extreme
2GB corsair + 1GB Patriot
Abit board (don't remember model right now)
liquid cooling

mrknowitall

Distinguished
Mar 7, 2007
Read the temperature guide sticky. But bottom line, THAT'S CRAZY HOT for your situation, based on the tiny amount of information you posted.

nunya

Distinguished
Oct 13, 2004
Read the temperature guide sticky. But bottom line, THAT'S CRAZY HOT for your situation, based on the tiny amount of information you posted.

i read that a long time ago before posting, just verifying what I had already thought....dangit!

The only thing I can do with TAT is the individual test on the main page, the actual "test" in the options menu doesn't work, give me some sort of throttling issue, which means absolutely nothing to me and, of course, no explaination as to why it would say that, or resolve it.....and monitoring!

benzene

Distinguished
Mar 8, 2007
TBH the individual test wont tell you anything that the main page test doesnt. The main test gets my CPU hotter than any other benchmark/stress test that I can find - if you can run that on both cores for 30mins without problem your good to go (although not necessarily stable - but that's a different matter).

Throttling is basically your CPU taking its foot off the gas because its getting too hot - it should never need to do this if your cooling solution is adequate and water cooling, as you say you have, should be plenty adequate.

I suggest that you make sure your cpu block is properly seated, with a decent thermal paste properly applied and try again. If your unsure how to do this then check around the net as there are plenty of good guides about.

Good Luck.

nunya

Distinguished
Oct 13, 2004
I found out:
1) the thermal paste was on to thick to begin with. Replacing it the proper amount reduced the temp by 16c.
2) realized the fan for the radiator wans't turning, not sure how long that's been going on.

Can't say for certain that was the definitive cause of my problems, but at least that unrealized issue is now resolved.

rammedstein

Distinguished
Jun 5, 2006
70oC at the tjunction isnt that bad, i think my mental safe limit is 75 though, so your pushing it, if it more than that you a) need to get better coolign or b) lower the voltage/overclock

nunya

Distinguished
Oct 13, 2004
i didn't think that was the tjunc, but rather the individual core temps, at least tha'ts the way I read it. And based on the C2D thread, that seemed way on the high side.