Sign in with
Your question

7600GT in a PCI-e x8 slot?

Last response: in Components
April 9, 2007 11:13:41 PM

Hi,
I was wondering if it is possible to run a Club3D Nvidia 7600GT graphics card in a PCI-e x8 slot.
IF you saw a small bit of the slot away (on the right side, it's only plastic, no metal parts in it) the card could physically fit, but will it also run? and if it does, can it use the full posibilities of a 7600GT card as it would in a PCI-e 16x slot?

I ask this question because I own a IBM xSeries 100 E-server, wich i use as a normal desktop computer. It only has a ATI ES1000 16mb onboard graphics card, wich doesn't support DirectX, so i can't run a lot of programs, and i can't watch movies in normal quality.
That's why I wanted to buy a new graphics card, but then I found out that my motherboard doesn't have a PCI-e x16 slot.

I read on the internet that with PCI-express speed depends on the number of lanes, but I can't find out if the number of lanes that a x8 slot has got, is enough for a graphics card like the 7600 GT.

Will it run?

Thanks for all kinds of help! :) 

More about : 7600gt pci slot

April 10, 2007 12:53:02 AM

Quote:
Hi,
I was wondering if it is possible to run a Club3D Nvidia 7600GT graphics card in a PCI-e x8 slot.
IF you saw a small bit of the slot away (on the right side, it's only plastic, no metal parts in it) the card could physically fit, but will it also run? and if it does, can it use the full posibilities of a 7600GT card as it would in a PCI-e 16x slot?

I ask this question because I own a IBM xSeries 100 E-server, wich i use as a normal desktop computer. It only has a ATI ES1000 16mb onboard graphics card, wich doesn't support DirectX, so i can't run a lot of programs, and i can't watch movies in normal quality.
That's why I wanted to buy a new graphics card, but then I found out that my motherboard doesn't have a PCI-e x16 slot.

I read on the internet that with PCI-express speed depends on the number of lanes, but I can't find out if the number of lanes that a x8 slot has got, is enough for a graphics card like the 7600 GT.

Will it run?

Thanks for all kinds of help! :) 

Quote:
I was wondering if it is possible to run a Club3D Nvidia 7600GT graphics card in a PCI-e x8 slot. IF you saw a small bit of the slot away (on the right side, it's only plastic, no metal parts in it) the card could physically fit, but will it also run?

You have to use a video card saw.
April 10, 2007 1:25:30 AM

IMHO it's an extraordinarily bad idea to start sawing away at anything inside a computer. But if you do it it should work. When THG did their PCI-e, 16, 8, 4 testing they taped over parts of the connector on the card and the cards worked fine, just at a slower speed.
Related resources
a b U Graphics card
April 10, 2007 1:30:41 AM

Quote:
You have to use a video card saw.

:lol:  :lol:  :lol: 

heefukinlarious :lol: 
April 10, 2007 8:19:43 AM

thank you for your reply
maybe saw is the wrong word, I don't know the right word.
The thing I use, is the same thing you use to make your fingernails nicer, you know what I mean?

It's a bit more precise than a saw :wink:
April 10, 2007 8:41:17 AM

if you make a notch at the end of the slot it should run fin, aslong as it is held stably in the case. the layout for the wiring is the same on all PCI-E slots/cards so it will be fine, it will just have some overhang.
April 10, 2007 9:39:52 AM

Yes the card will work fine at PCIe x8 mode. All PCIe cards auto negotiate lanes and will work fine with any number. Even odd numbers like 14 or 3 if you tape the right contacts.

Some motherboard have open ended PCIe slots for this exact purpose.
!