Sign in with
Your question

Problems with Intel fortran and fortran in general

Last response: in Linux/Free BSD
August 10, 2006 4:41:12 AM

So i downloaded and installed the Intel fortran for linux package.

I had a problem installing the debugger and it didnt have any error message, simply (installation failed). I was able to install the compiler though.

So when I run the compiler with

* |> source /../....../*.sh

I get an error message, as if the installation for the compiler didnt work either. Im not sure if "source" should have been the bash keyword "source" or the source file of the fortran code. In any event its incredibly frustrating and it would be great if someone could give me some pointers in using this compiler/IDE.

In addition, I have been having a lot of trouble finding an IDE/ Compiler for fortran. Sure you say there are so many out there but I find that they are all cumbersome to install and even more cumbersome to use. perhaps its just because i am still a novice in linux...

does GCC have a built in fortran compiler? if so, what are the commands? if anyone knows another fortran program, let me know.

tia,
gary
August 10, 2006 10:53:37 AM

Quote:
So i downloaded and installed the Intel fortran for linux package.

I had a problem installing the debugger and it didnt have any error message, simply (installation failed). I was able to install the compiler though.

So when I run the compiler with

* |> source /../....../*.sh

I get an error message, as if the installation for the compiler didnt work either. Im not sure if "source" should have been the bash keyword "source" or the source file of the fortran code. In any event its incredibly frustrating and it would be great if someone could give me some pointers in using this compiler/IDE.

In addition, I have been having a lot of trouble finding an IDE/ Compiler for fortran. Sure you say there are so many out there but I find that they are all cumbersome to install and even more cumbersome to use. perhaps its just because i am still a novice in linux...

does GCC have a built in fortran compiler? if so, what are the commands? if anyone knows another fortran program, let me know.

tia,
gary

If you must use fortran use g77!

g77 - GNU project Fortran 77 compiler

which g77
/usr/bin/g77

C/C++ or other more modern languages should be used instead of fortran whenever possible.

GL :-D

PS yum install g77 or apt-get install g77 depending on your distro
August 10, 2006 10:38:51 PM

great thanks...but do you know of a fortran95 release? (im assuming g77 is only fortran77)

im writing computational code; thats the only reason i chose to use fortran.
August 11, 2006 1:05:55 AM

Quote:
great thanks...but do you know of a fortran95 release? (im assuming g77 is only fortran77)

im writing computational code; thats the only reason i chose to use fortran.

Check out:

http://g95.org/

http://gcc.gnu.org/fortran/

however I would still advise you to use C/C++ if speed is important or Perl or even PHP if computational speed is not an issue.

http://cpan.org/modules/01modules.index.html

If raw speed is your primary concern C [ NOT C++ ] is the language of choice.

Assembly and C are fastest.

Everything else is pathetically slow in comparison.

Perl is slow but has awesome libraries and modules.

PHP is faster than Perl but not as quite as good.

GL :-D
!