Dividing one hard drive into 2

I am ubder the imprression that there is a way to accomplish the following:
I want to take my c: drive and rest it so that it appears as a c: drive and
another drive (say f: for example) with each drive equal in size to 1/2 of
the original.
Inother words, instead of seeing one 160GB drive, see two 80GB drives
In Windows XP Home SP2 is there a way to do this?
Thanks

galen

Distinguished
May 24, 2004

In news:20BB8A4C-304A-4307-87F9-FE0E844DD76A@microsoft.com,
alanpp <alanpp@discussions.microsoft.com> had this to say:

> I am ubder the imprression that there is a way to accomplish the
> following: I want to take my c: drive and rest it so that it appears
> as a c: drive and another drive (say f: for example) with each drive
> equal in size to 1/2 of the original.
> Inother words, instead of seeing one 160GB drive, see two 80GB drives
> In Windows XP Home SP2 is there a way to do this?
> Thanks

BING
http://www.terabyteunlimited.com/

Symantec PartitionMagic 8.0:
http://www.powerquest.com/partitionmagic/

Alternatively:

How to partition and format a hard disk in Windows XP:
http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=313348

Galen

alanpp wrote:
> I am ubder the imprression that there is a way to accomplish the following:
> I want to take my c: drive and rest it so that it appears as a c: drive and
> another drive (say f: for example) with each drive equal in size to 1/2 of
> the original.
> Inother words, instead of seeing one 160GB drive, see two 80GB drives
> In Windows XP Home SP2 is there a way to do this?
> Thanks

I've used Partition Magic 8.0 for years
and it is excellent and the only flaw I
know of in it, is that its creator, PowerQuest,
was taken over by Symantec.

I have an 80GB drive with a Master 15 GB partition containing
my Active Master Operating System, with six smaller partitions
containing just data of various kinds.

--
William B. Lurie

billurie@nospam.org wrote:
> alanpp wrote:
>> I am ubder the imprression that there is a way to accomplish the
>> following: I want to take my c: drive and rest it so that it appears
>> as a c: drive and another drive (say f: for example) with each drive
>> equal in size to 1/2 of the original.
>> Inother words, instead of seeing one 160GB drive, see two 80GB drives
>> In Windows XP Home SP2 is there a way to do this?
>> Thanks
>
> I've used Partition Magic 8.0 for years
> and it is excellent and the only flaw I
> know of in it, is that its creator, PowerQuest,
> was taken over by Symantec.
>
> I have an 80GB drive with a Master 15 GB partition containing
> my Active Master Operating System, with six smaller partitions
> containing just data of various kinds.

I, too, used to be a fan of PM and, indeed, have PM8 but I would *NOT*
recommend it to anyone these days, as it's now owned by Symantec and I
boycott all Symantec products on principle. I use Acronis Disk Director
(www.acronis.com for a 30-day trial) I find it much more flexible and I feel
good knowing I'm not lining Symantec's pocket.

Miss Perspicacia Tick wrote:

> billurie@nospam.org wrote:
>
>>alanpp wrote:
>>
>>>I am ubder the imprression that there is a way to accomplish the
>>>following: I want to take my c: drive and rest it so that it appears
>>>as a c: drive and another drive (say f: for example) with each drive
>>>equal in size to 1/2 of the original.
>>>Inother words, instead of seeing one 160GB drive, see two 80GB drives
>>>In Windows XP Home SP2 is there a way to do this?
>>>Thanks
>>
>>I've used Partition Magic 8.0 for years
>>and it is excellent and the only flaw I
>>know of in it, is that its creator, PowerQuest,
>>was taken over by Symantec.
>>
>>I have an 80GB drive with a Master 15 GB partition containing
>>my Active Master Operating System, with six smaller partitions
>>containing just data of various kinds.
>

> I, too, used to be a fan of PM and, indeed, have PM8 but I would *NOT*
> recommend it to anyone these days, as it's now owned by Symantec and I
> boycott all Symantec products on principle. I use Acronis Disk Director
> (www.acronis.com for a 30-day trial) I find it much more flexible and I feel
> good knowing I'm not lining Symantec's pocket.

I wonder if Symantec really knows what their reputation in general
is.....and whether they just intend to keep rolling along on the
reputation they gained when their products were the only game in
town, and didn't have to have corrections installed every Tuesday
and Thursday.

--
William B. Lurie

In news:%23%230QeLRQFHA.3404@TK2MSFTNGP12.phx.gbl,
billurie@nospam.org <billurie@nospam.org> typed:

>> I, too, used to be a fan of PM and, indeed, have PM8 but I
>> would
>> *NOT* recommend it to anyone these days, as it's now owned by
>> Symantec and I boycott all Symantec products on principle. I
>> use
>> Acronis Disk Director (www.acronis.com for a 30-day trial) I
>> find it
>> much more flexible and I feel good knowing I'm not lining
>> Symantec's
>> pocket.
> I wonder if Symantec really knows what their reputation in
> general
> is.....and whether they just intend to keep rolling along on
> the
> reputation they gained when their products were the only game
> in
> town, and didn't have to have corrections installed every
> Tuesday
> and Thursday.

Of course they know. They know what their reputation is based on
the sales of their products. And since they sell a lot of
product, their reputation clearly remains excellent.

Their reputation here in the newsgroups may be much poorer, and
deservedly so, but that clearly doesn't reflect the world at
large.

Please reply to the newsgroup

Is that the problem? I've been using NAV, NIS and the new PM and I haven't
had any issues... but I'll be sure to pass along your comments. Thanks for
posting.

Michael Katz
[Microsoft MVP - MSN Client]
"There's no I in 'team' but there is 'me'"
http://msmvps.com/msntral

This posting is provided 'AS IS' with no warranties, and confers no rights.